Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Just bought Melodie Zhou complete beethoven on 7digital for $13 - 320mp3

Todd

Quote from: Fred on May 05, 2014, 04:13:06 PMJust bought Melodie Zhou complete beethoven on 7digital for $13 - 320mp3

53 and 106 are on YouTube complete.  Haven't listened to them yet.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Fred

Bits I've listened to so far are far from embarrassing. Just got to keep forgetting she's 19.

xochitl

just listened to Melodie Zhao out of curiosity [op 106]

very, very good!  the first movement is brisk and bracing and shapely, beautifully articulated and voiced [god knows i love all those interwoven inner lines]. the scherzo is a frantic neurotic swirl. the adagio is surprisingly peaceful, radiant, and a bit austere [which can be a nice change from the many 'end-of-the-world' interpretations]. the finale introduction gave me first real chance for criticism as it felt very sight-read. finally, the fugue was possibly too slick and light...[kinda reminded me of Gould's Bach, without the intellectual ecstasy] but the girl can really play fast!

her tone is lucid and balanced, with a lovely surface sheen.

i'll be looking forward to the rest of her LvB [btw the whole cycle is now on MOG]

Fred

Totally agree about 106, and boy does she motor through the fugue. She really sounds like she's lived with the piece - and is only 19.

Menschenstimme

I am NO expert on this topic.  I am satisfied with my complete set by Robert Silverman on the Orpheum label.  Does anyone else here own this set?  If so; do you notice a glitch on track 10 of CD #1?  I hear it on some CD players, but on others it plays perfectly.  This is a digital glitch and has nothing to do with the performance.

George

Quote from: Menschenstimme on May 06, 2014, 01:12:49 PM
I am NO expert on this topic.  I am satisfied with my complete set by Robert Silverman on the Orpheum label.  Does anyone else here own this set?  If so; do you notice a glitch on track 10 of CD #1?  I hear it on some CD players, but on others it plays perfectly.  This is a digital glitch and has nothing to do with the performance.

At what time, specifically, does the glitch happen?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

Quote from: Menschenstimme on May 06, 2014, 01:12:49 PMI am NO expert on this topic.  I am satisfied with my complete set by Robert Silverman on the Orpheum label.  Does anyone else here own this set?

Yes.  I've never noticed a data issue/digital glitch on my set.

George

Quote from: Menschenstimme on May 06, 2014, 01:12:49 PM

I listened to that track twice while I was getting ready to go out tonight and I hear no glitch.

Marc

Quote from: George on May 06, 2014, 02:07:16 PM
I listened to that track twice while I was getting ready to go out tonight and I hear no glitch.

You might hear some glitches after your return home.

George

Quote from: Marc on May 06, 2014, 02:18:27 PM
You might hear some glitches after your return home.

Haha. Actually, I haven't had a drink in almost 19 years.  8)

Ken B

On fortepiano I have the incomplete Tan set. What good fortepiano recordings are there?

Mandryka

Quote from: Ken B on May 10, 2014, 07:42:58 AM
On fortepiano I have the incomplete Tan set. What good fortepiano recordings are there?

If you're a member of symphonyshare, I put Badura Skoda there.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Ken B

Quote from: Mandryka on May 10, 2014, 07:47:06 AM
If you're a member of symphonyshare, I put Badura Skoda there.
What is symphonyshare?
In general I like PDS, but I thought his Beethoven cycle was a modern piano. I have only seen it listed as piano.

Mandryka

Quote from: Ken B on May 10, 2014, 08:05:12 AM
What is symphonyshare?
In general I like PDS, but I thought his Beethoven cycle was a modern piano. I have only seen it listed as piano.

http://symphonyshare.blogspot.co.uk/
There are many Badura Skoda Beethoven recordings. The fortepiano ones are on Astrée.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Ken B

Quote from: Mandryka on May 10, 2014, 08:13:09 AM
http://symphonyshare.blogspot.co.uk/
There are many Badura Skoda Beethoven recordings. The fortepiano ones are on Astrée.
Thanks. I will keep my eye out.
I like the samples I have heard on Azon of the Gramola set. I like the piano. Is that a Bosendorfer? I am getting interested in the different pianos.

Todd

Quote from: Ken B on May 10, 2014, 08:05:12 AMIn general I like PDS, but I thought his Beethoven cycle was a modern piano. I have only seen it listed as piano.

He recorded three cycles: one on piano (Steinway and Bosendorfer) for Westminster, one on piano (Bosendorfer) for Gramola, and one on a variety of fortepianos for Astree (now out on JVC in Japan).  There is some dispute as to whether he recorded the complete cycle for Westminster, but his website lists it as complete.  I have the Gramola and JVC/Astree cycles, and his fortepiano cycle is definitely better.

Ken B

I found this by some guy who seems to know his stuff
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php?topic=22368.0

Now I am feeling urges ...

Todd

Looking around for some new LvB, I stumbled across volume 3 of a supposedly complete cycle by Claudio Colombo.  Who is Claudio Colombo?  Well, it looks like he's a veritable recording prodigy, having recorded everything under the sun.  Sort of like Joyce Hatto, but all digital.

But you can sample his work:

http://www.youtube.com/v/qsjruDewFEM

http://www.youtube.com/v/xhO8bXatZus

Any takers?

Pat B

Quote from: Todd on May 15, 2014, 12:02:15 PM
Looking around for some new LvB, I stumbled across volume 3 of a supposedly complete cycle by Claudio Colombo.  Who is Claudio Colombo?  Well, it looks like he's a veritable recording prodigy, having recorded everything under the sun.  Sort of like Joyce Hatto, but all digital.

But you can sample his work:
Any takers?

Did you see this? Page 3 includes his response (in Italian, but google translate seems to get the gist across). I can't say I feel any desire to even sample any of it.