Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Brian on September 18, 2014, 10:08:32 AM
Reissued for the needy!

The Hungaroton cycle is back, this November.

Thanks, Brian. Do you have any other info? Will it be remastered? Is it import only? Reduced price?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

Quote from: George on September 18, 2014, 10:20:19 AM
Thanks, Brian. Do you have any other info? Will it be remastered? Is it import only? Reduced price?
Not sure. Saw it in HMV Japan's pre-order list. Here is the listing. There are at least two more in this series of Annie Fischer reissues, live recitals and "Centennial Collection".

If you go to the effort to find the answers to those questions do post. :) I am posting the non-Beethoven sets in the New Releases thread.

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on September 18, 2014, 10:26:56 AM
Not sure. Saw it in HMV Japan's pre-order list. Here is the listing. There are at least two more in this series of Annie Fischer reissues, live recitals and "Centennial Collection".

If you go to the effort to find the answers to those questions do post. :) I am posting the non-Beethoven sets in the New Releases thread.
At current rates, the yen being weaker than usual, $118US after VAT deductions.

Todd

Looks like 31/2 is a new recording, and the complete set will be squeezed into eight discs, meaning that duplicate recordings will be pruned.  Guess I'm glad I bought the set one disc at a time.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Wanderer

Quote from: Todd on September 24, 2014, 06:59:55 PM
Looks like 31/2 is a new recording...
Mystery solved!

Quote from: Todd on September 24, 2014, 06:59:55 PM
...and the complete set will be squeezed into eight discs, meaning that duplicate recordings will be pruned.  Guess I'm glad I bought the set one disc at a time.

Me, too. My guess is they'll probably use the newer take of op.22 and not the exquisite live one from 1998.

SonicMan46

Ronald Brautigam on three different fortepianos all made my Paul McNulty after historic pianos of the period to match the composition years - images of the instruments from Brautigam's website - Dave :)

betterthanfine

Quote from: Brian on September 18, 2014, 10:08:32 AM
Reissued for the needy!

The Hungaroton cycle is back, this November.
I'm dying to get this, after all the highly interesting things I've read about this set, both on here and on other platforms. Hope the price won't be as steep as the previous edition of this set.

George

Quote from: betterthanfine on October 29, 2014, 04:04:07 AM
I'm dying to get this, after all the highly interesting things I've read about this set, both on here and on other platforms. Hope the price won't be as steep as the previous edition of this set.

I wonder if the new issue will be arranged chronologically, or retain the odd pairings from the original. I'd much prefer the former.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Papy Oli

Quote from: George on October 29, 2014, 04:05:49 AM
I wonder if the new issue will be arranged chronologically, or retain the odd pairings from the original. I'd much prefer the former.

it has the mixed pairings of the single CD's - Not chronological at all.
Olivier

Mandryka

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 29, 2014, 08:05:41 AM
it has the mixed pairings of the single CD's - Not chronological at all.

And do we know why it was ordered like that?

To some extent it's all a bit irrelevant in these post CD days.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Cosi bel do

Quote from: Mandryka on October 29, 2014, 08:31:04 AM
And do we know why it was ordered like that?

To some extent it's all a bit irrelevant in these post CD days.

I think it was ordered like that because each CD was released separately, and for marketing reasons Hungaroton wanted to pair "well-known" sonatas with other, less "marketable" ones.

kishnevi

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 20, 2014, 09:42:21 AM
Ronald Brautigam on three different fortepianos all made my Paul McNulty after historic pianos of the period to match the composition years - images of the instruments from Brautigam's website - Dave :)

Listening to CD 6 right now (sonatas 21 to 25).
So far I like what I hear, but no fully formed opinion yet.

Fred

Been listening to "Sergio Fiorentino" playing 111 on the Concert Artists Label.  I know a lot/some of those recordings are supposed to be fake.  But if this isn't the real Fiorentino then the fake artist is a player and a half.

Cosi bel do

Quote from: Fred on November 01, 2014, 04:02:04 PM
Been listening to "Sergio Fiorentino" playing 111 on the Concert Artists Label.  I know a lot/some of those recordings are supposed to be fake.  But if this isn't the real Fiorentino then the fake artist is a player and a half.

Well, as I remember it, any Concert Artists release should be considered as a fraud. Most of these recordings were made with young pianists from eastern Europe in the 90s, and then degraded to sound as if older.
I've never bought one of these CDs though, so I can't really say if I think it might possibly be Fiorentino or not.

Holden

Quote from: Cosi bel do on November 01, 2014, 04:18:10 PM
Well, as I remember it, any Concert Artists release should be considered as a fraud. Most of these recordings were made with young pianists from eastern Europe in the 90s, and then degraded to sound as if older.
I've never bought one of these CDs though, so I can't really say if I think it might possibly be Fiorentino or not.

This page might be helpful. It's certainly worth reading.

http://www.fortepianos.org/elumpe/SFDiscography.html#BEETHOVEN
Cheers

Holden

Holden

A really impressive Op 111 on this 2CD set from Melodiya

Cheers

Holden

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Holden on November 02, 2014, 10:42:20 AM
A really impressive Op 111 on this 2CD set from Melodiya

I hate it when the cover is so small that you cant read the text! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

I just actually did a double fist-pump, pivoted my hips, and shouted "YESSS!" That actually happened. For real. Because I saw this:

"Penelope Crawford presents a program of four of Beethoven's most important transitional sonatas, bridging the gap between his "middle" and "late" periods. Composed against the backdrop of Napoleonic Europe and Metternich's Congress of Vienna, these four works chart Beethoven's growth as a composer in a rapidly changing world. As with her first Beethoven sonata recording (opp. 109 – 11, Musica Omnia MO 0308), a splendid fortepiano by the great Viennese builder, Conrad Graf, is used here."

Release March 2015. Forgive a squeal of excitement aaaiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Also, and mostly unrelatedly, February 2015:

"Schubert's unforgettable characterizations of women: Gretchen, Suleika, Mignon, Ellen and Delphine are the subject of this CD, devoted to exploring Schubert's homage to das ewig Weibliche, Goethe's expression for the eternally feminine. Soprano Marta Guth and fortepianist Penelope Crawford present these unique portraits with insight and sympathy, enhanced by the use of a magnificent original fortepiano by the great Viennese maker, Conrad Graf."

Todd

Quote from: Brian on November 04, 2014, 02:59:59 PM

I sure hope this means she records all 32, and in time for 2020.  I'd take 2027 if I had to. 

A 2015 purchase is now scheduled.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Fred

HOLDEN - Thanks. So it appears that not all the Fiorentino Beethoven is of questionable provenance.  Further, as I said, if the guy playing 111 is a nobody, he seems to me a magnificent nobody.