Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: George on June 23, 2015, 03:33:53 PMI forget, what you you folks think of his Beethoven?

I love Guy's set.  It's one of the best of this century - but not as good as Lucchesini's.   

Between those two and Frank's set, you picked up some seriously good Beethoven.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

Quote from: Todd on June 23, 2015, 04:12:51 PM
I love Guy's set.  It's one of the best of this century - but not as good as Lucchesini's.   

Awesome! Lucchesini's is indeed special.

QuoteBetween those two and Frank's set, you picked up some seriously good Beethoven.

Thanks, I got lucky. Guy's was $36 for the three boxes, new and the other two sets were only $25 used.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Holden

Now you've got me listening to Lucchesini on Spotify. At least I'm on vacation
Cheers

Holden

Brian

I agree with Todd, but FYI Guy's style is very, very different from Lucchesini's. Not "opposite," but, like... a 135-degree angle.

George

Quote from: Brian on June 23, 2015, 04:36:23 PM
I agree with Todd, but FYI Guy's style is very, very different from Lucchesini's. Not "opposite," but, like... a 135-degree angle.

Happy to hear that! Thanks, Brian!

San Antone

Any thoughts on Andre de Groote?

[asin]B001PVWXIU[/asin]

I haven't heard his set; but will listen soon since it is on Spotify.

betterthanfine

I sampled a few sonatas from Guy's set, but what I heard didn't appeal to me at all. Curious to hear Lucchesini.

I own Kempff stereo, Backhaus stereo, Gulda Amadeo, and Brautigam as full sets, along with several individual discs by Pollini, Uchida, Rubinstein (which I love, shame he didn't do a full set), Richter, and Levitt. Annie Fischer and Gilels are on my wishlist, but I'm still looking for a great contemporary (post 2000) non-HIP set. Any suggestions? Lewis bores me, Guy's style doesn't suit me. I liked what I've heard from Pienaar's recordings. :)

San Antone

Todd, I found your comments about De Groote, but do you know about this: Aquiles Delle Vigne just finished the complete recording of the 32 Piano Sonatas by Beethoven.

[asin]B002ZZEDXS[/asin]

His CV is not shabby.

Todd

Quote from: betterthanfine on June 24, 2015, 01:53:17 AMbut I'm still looking for a great contemporary (post 2000) non-HIP set.

Lucchesini
Pienaar
Barenboim III
Takacs
Kikuchi

Quote from: sanantonio on June 24, 2015, 04:42:17 AM
Todd, I found your comments about De Groote, but do you know about this: Aquiles Delle Vigne just finished the complete recording of the 32 Piano Sonatas by Beethoven.

Never heard of him.  I will have to do some hunting for all the discs.  Amazon US doesn't list them all.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

betterthanfine

Quote from: Todd on June 24, 2015, 05:40:16 AM

Lucchesini
Pienaar
Barenboim III
Takacs
Kikuche

Thanks for that! I'm allergic to Barenboim in general, and what I've heard from his previous two cycles did not impress me at all, so I'll probably skip this one... But I'll sample the others you mention.

San Antone

Jonathan Biss is about half way through his complete cycle - worth hearing.

George

I am listening to another new (to me) cycle of Beethoven sonatas. As expected, Guy is clearly inferior to Lucchesini, without offering anything particularly unique, compared to every other set of these works that I have heard.

Brian

As much as I like FFG, you are right that Lucchesini is an artist who truly offers something new/different. In fact, with about 45 minutes left in my day, I can think of no better use for them than a couple of Lucchesini sonatas. Thank you for the inspiration!

George

Quote from: Brian on June 25, 2015, 07:02:00 PM
As much as I like FFG, you are right that Lucchesini is an artist who truly offers something new/different. In fact, with about 45 minutes left in my day, I can think of no better use for them than a couple of Lucchesini sonatas. Thank you for the inspiration!

My pleasure, Brian! Enjoy!

jlaurson

Quote from: George on June 23, 2015, 03:33:53 PM

Picked this up yesterday and can't stop listening to it. Such beauty, power and grace! This guy is great. Speaking of Guy, I also picked up Francois Frederic Guy's 3 volumes of Beethoven sonatas. I forget, what you you folks think of his Beethoven?

I also (finally) got Claude Frank's set. And a second copy of Backhaus's stereo set in like new condition, so if anyone wants to buy a copy, PM me.

Could you do me a favor (or Brian) and check for me if the earliest recorded sonata in that set is from 1999 or some other year, instead?

Thanks much - jfl

Wanderer

Quote from: George on June 25, 2015, 06:54:16 PM
I am listening to another new (to me) cycle of Beethoven sonatas. As expected, Guy is clearly inferior to Lucchesini, without offering anything particularly unique, compared to every other set of these works that I have heard.

My sentiments exactly. And in case you were planning to,  don't bother with Bavouzet, he's even worse.

George

Quote from: jlaurson on June 26, 2015, 12:46:52 AM

Could you do me a favor (or Brian) and check for me if the earliest recorded sonata in that set is from 1999 or some other year, instead?

Thanks much - jfl

1999 is the earliest, 2001 the latest. Copyrighted in 2003.

Brian

Quote from: Wanderer on June 26, 2015, 01:35:05 AM
My sentiments exactly. And in case you were planning to,  don't bother with Bavouzet, he's even worse.
I wasn't keen on Bavouzet either. Quotes from what I wrote for MusicWeb:

"Bavouzet plays Beethoven like Cary Grant does movies: a smooth cosmopolitan who remains unruffled....Bavouzet is a little more restrained than his reputation lets on. The funeral march in Op. 26 is cold, appropriately you might say, and when I listened to his readings for an hour straight, everything started to feel mechanical. If you think Cary Grant is a little aloof at times, well, that's here too."

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brian on June 26, 2015, 04:34:46 AM
If you think Cary Grant is a little aloof at times . . . .

I didn't think he was aloof in His Girl Friday.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Karl Henning

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on June 26, 2015, 04:41:51 AM
I didn't think he was aloof in His Girl Friday.

Nor in Arsenic and Old Lace   ;D
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot