Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Admirably level-headed (though not actually cosmopolitan) in People Will Talk.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jlaurson

Quote from: George on June 26, 2015, 03:46:56 AM
1999 is the earliest, 2001 the latest. Copyrighted in 2003.

Thank  you!

George

Quote from: jlaurson on June 26, 2015, 05:11:22 AM
Thank  you!

It's the least I can do. I used your Ionarts piece to chronologically organize my Beethoven sets last night.

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

Quote from: Brian on June 25, 2015, 07:02:00 PM
As much as I like FFG, you are right that Lucchesini is an artist who truly offers something new/different.

Beauty, grace, power, forward momentum, excitement, great sound, consistency and perfect tempo choices.....his set has it all!

I need to hear it again, but his set might be my new favorite.

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on June 26, 2015, 06:00:18 AM
It's the least I can do. I used your Ionarts piece to chronologically organize my Beethoven sets last night.

Another reason to love our GMG.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: karlhenning on June 26, 2015, 04:47:57 AM
Admirably level-headed (though not actually cosmopolitan) in People Will Talk.

Where the sidekick character Mr. Shunderson has always seemed to me deliberately made up to look like Anton Bruckner.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Karl Henning

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on June 26, 2015, 06:03:23 AM
Where the sidekick character Mr. Shunderson has always seemed to me deliberately made up to look like Anton Bruckner.

Damned if you aren't right!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

merlin

Quote from: George on June 23, 2015, 03:33:53 PM

Picked this up yesterday and can't stop listening to it. Such beauty, power and grace! This guy is great.

Hi George.  Wondering how you were able to find this?   It is listed Used-Like New for USD 299.99 at amazon usa!

There is an MP3 album though, but I am certain the SQ is not the best, and having to then burn them to disc is not a venture I wish to embark upon.

So perhaps you can point me in the right direction?

BTW, I listened to a youtube version of his playing the slow movement of op. 106.  Magnificent, in all regards!

George

Quote from: merlin on June 26, 2015, 07:32:25 AM
Hi George.  Wondering how you were able to find this?   It is listed Used-Like New for USD 299.99 at amazon usa!

I know, I found a used copy this week for $25. I was very lucky. Didn't even know how much it was worth at the time I bought it.

jlaurson

Quote from: George on June 26, 2015, 06:00:18 AM

;D Very happy to have been of service!

George

Quote from: jlaurson on June 26, 2015, 11:36:13 AM
;D Very happy to have been of service!

I will say, I wince every time I read your blurb about Annie Fischer, as I feel at this point her set has risen above cult status.

merlin

All of Andrea Lucchesini's sonata recordings are available on youtube.  Although, unfortunately, each entry is only one movement, I can download them to my computer for easier listening.  Definitely NOT CD quality, though!

Holden

Quote from: merlin on June 28, 2015, 09:05:25 AM
All of Andreas Lucchesini's sonata recordings are available on youtube.  Although, unfortunately, each entry is only one movement, I can download them to my computer for easier listening.  Definitely NOT CD quality, though!

They are also available on Spotify and as their premium service is 320 kb/s you get very good sound quality.
Cheers

Holden

merlin

Quote from: Holden on June 28, 2015, 10:46:26 AM
They are also available on Spotify and as their premium service is 320 kb/s you get very good sound quality.

Are they downloadable, or only streaming?

The mp3 album is available at amazon, but I do not know if that can be downloaded in any form other than one movement at a time.

I almost always burn downloads to disc for ease in listening.

Holden

Only streaming unfortunately. If you can find an MP3 in 320 kb/s then you might as well go for it. I can't hear the difference between that and a CD unless the CD is one that has outstanding sound quality. There might also be downloadable FLAC versions out there.
Cheers

Holden

Fred

You can download Lucchesini at 192 on darkmp3.  I must say, my ears are crap and, for solo piano, that's all I need.

Talking of which though, I've been listening to the Gulda Spielt Beethoven Box Set (the 2006 remastering of the Amadeo Set) and the sound really does sound so much better (to me anyway)

Fred

That's the link.  I think all the tracks are there (which is not always the case on Dark MP3).  You can also get the complete Sherman, etc etc.

We have no objection to anyone doing whatever they please in the way of flouting copyright laws, but there are liability issues involved in assisting people to do it, which we don't wish to undertake. Please don't post links to illegal download sites publicly.

Thanks,
GB

San Antone

Seems to me at the very least people should pay for music.

Fred

I spent about 5 thousand dollars a year on CDs.  How much do you spend?

jlaurson

Quote from: Fred on June 29, 2015, 04:49:37 AM
Quote from: sanantonio on June 29, 2015, 03:55:06 AM
Seems to me at the very least people should pay for music.
I spent about 5 thousand dollars a year on CDs.  How much do you spend?

I'm not sure that that's the logically neatest defense to mount.

Perhaps a utilitarian argument COULD be made that the customer who steals only 5% of his rolls on his visits to bakeries, but spends altogether 5000 doubloons on baked goods, is of greater service to the industry of roll-makers, than the customer who steals nothing but consumes rolls worth only 500 properly paid doubloons, annually. But neither Kant, nor the baker being at the short end of that 5%-stick will find it particularly compelling, I reckon... nor would it fly with a judge when caught roll-handed.