Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: George on July 03, 2015, 05:38:30 AM
Arrau "0" actually contains 11 sonatas. For EMI from 1947-1960 Arrau recorded Beethoven sonatas number 7(twice
'51 & '57), 14, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 28, 31 and 32. 7 (1957) and 24 are included in the ICON box.

The EMI recordings were intended to be a set, until Arrau was dropped by EMI.

Quote from: George on July 03, 2015, 06:15:02 AM
Arrau also recorded sonatas 8, 14, 23, 26 and 29 for American Decca in 1954. These were released as part of The Liszt Legacy on DG.

This adds two sonatas not recorded for EMI, 29 and 8. So if one were constructing an early Arrau (incomplete) cycle, they'd be able to get 13 from 1947-1960.

7, 8, 14, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 28, 29, 31 and 32

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

kishnevi

Quote from: jlaurson on July 03, 2015, 05:30:38 AM
The "Columbia Legends" box. (As listed in the "Survey" piece, if you care to take a look.)

Thank you.
There is a typo in your Serkin discussion....Op. 110 lost a digit and became one of the early sonatas.

BTW,  am I correct in understanding both Gilels boxes you show to have the exact same contents?

jlaurson

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 03, 2015, 06:55:12 AM
Thank you.
There is a typo in your Serkin discussion....Op. 110 lost a digit and became one of the early sonatas.

BTW,  am I correct in understanding both Gilels boxes you show to have the exact same contents?

1.) Thanks - Great! Better for op.110 to have lost a digit, than Serkin.
2.) Indeed.
3.) All your excellent, most helpful information has now been lifted and plagiarized and is part of the updated Arrau section!  ;)

George

Quote from: jlaurson on July 03, 2015, 06:57:22 AM
3.) All your excellent, most helpful information has now been lifted and plagiarized and is part of the updated Arrau section!  ;)

Was this meant for me?

jlaurson

Quote from: George on July 03, 2015, 07:22:53 AM
Was this meant for me?

Most certainly. As you will see, if you read the addendum on the site to the Arrau "9 + 2".

jfdrex

I'm very pleased to see Bruce Hungerford's Beethoven sonata recordings (Vanguard) listed in Jens's survey of "unfinished"/incomplete cycles.  As it happens, I've just purchased this 2-disc set and have been listening to it repeatedly, with immense enjoyment, during the past week:

[asin]B0001CCX9I[/asin]

I can't recommend it highly enough.  And that goes doubly for this installment:

[asin]B0000AGWEB[/asin]

springrite

Quote from: jfdrex on July 03, 2015, 11:33:31 AM
I'm very pleased to see Bruce Hungerford's Beethoven sonata recordings (Vanguard) listed in Jens's survey of "unfinished"/incomplete cycles.  As it happens, I've just purchased this 2-disc set and have been listening to it repeatedly, with immense enjoyment, during the past week:

[asin]B0001CCX9I[/asin]

I can't recommend it highly enough.  And that goes doubly for this installment:

[asin]B0000AGWEB[/asin]

+1! *Pound le Table!*
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

George

Quote from: jlaurson on July 03, 2015, 10:23:56 AM
Most certainly. As you will see, if you read the addendum on the site to the Arrau "9 + 2".

Ok, thanks. I thought you were confusing the two avatars with hands photographed in black and white.

Glad to help, Jens!

jlaurson

Quote from: George on July 03, 2015, 01:25:08 PM
Ok, thanks. I thought you were confusing the two avatars with hands photographed in black and white.

Glad to help, Jens!

Not at all. Todd's help is also much appreciated, but I feel  you help with an 'easier heart'.  ;)

George

Those who wish to hear Annie Fischer's set of the Beethoven Sonatas can now own the set in mp3 form for only $9.99.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=9039500

Brian

Today in "how is my life this good": pianist James Brawn just sent me ALL FOUR of his completed Beethoven volumes, for MusicWeb.

How did I get this gig again?  0:)

George

Quote from: Mandryka on February 01, 2015, 04:29:59 AM
First, Jens, he recorded the Mono Beethoven when he was 65 to 70 I think. I don't believe he went gaga or feeble. Is there a loss of technque?  I don't know, I don't much care about technique. What he has is good enough for me.

I have been thinking about this today.
For the mono set, recorded 1950-54, Backhaus was 66 to 70.
For the stereo set, recorded 1958-69 (the year he died), Backhaus was 74 to 85.
So, the difference between the earliest recordings in the mono set and the latest recordings in the stereo set is 19 years. To me, this is not an insignificant amount of time, especially when you consider the stereo was recorded (literally) at the end of his life.

And yes, if you listen to the mono and then the stereo, there is a slight loss of technique. Understandable, I think.

QuoteIt would be interesting to get to the bottom of the differences between the two cycles - anyone fancy exploring it?

What I hear is slightly slower slow movements (thank goodness, for the stereo slow movements tend to be too fast for me) in the mono and as stated above, better technique in the mono.

Another difference is that the sound on the stereo is excellent, while the sound on mono is merely good. The Japan mono set has slightly better sound (more high frequency info) than the Italian mono set.   

San Antone

Quote from: George on July 28, 2015, 01:58:17 PM
I have been thinking about this today.
For the mono set, recorded 1950-54, Backhaus was 66 to 70.
For the stereo set, recorded 1958-69 (the year he died), Backhaus was 74 to 85.
So, the difference between the earliest recordings in the mono set and the latest recordings in the stereo set is 19 years. To me, this is not an insignificant amount of time, especially when you consider the stereo was recorded (literally) at the end of his life.

And yes, if you listen to the mono and then the stereo, there is a slight loss of technique. Understandable, I think.

What I hear is slightly slower slow movements (thank goodness, for the stereo slow movements tend to be too fast for me) in the mono and as stated above, better technique in the mono.

Another difference is that the sound on the stereo is excellent, while the sound on mono is merely good. The Japan mono set has slightly better sound (more high frequency info) than the Italian mono set.

Is this the stereo set?

What's the mono set?

George

Quote from: sanantonio on July 28, 2015, 02:30:57 PM
Is this the stereo set?

Yes.

QuoteWhat's the mono set?

This:

1992 Decca Japanese issue of the Backhaus mono set. 

2002 Italian issue of the same mono set.

San Antone

Quote from: George on July 28, 2015, 02:38:44 PM
Yes.

This:

1992 Decca Japanese issue of the Backhaus mono set. 

2002 Italian issue of the same mono set.

Thanks.  Looks hard to find, but I'll look. I have the other one so, the mono set might be something to look for.

George

Quote from: sanantonio on July 28, 2015, 02:42:25 PM
Thanks.  Looks hard to find, but I'll look. I have the other one so, the mono set might be something to look for.

You'll find four links on this page to amazon sellers: http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2009/05/beethoven-sonatas-survey-of-complete.html

San Antone

Quote from: George on July 28, 2015, 03:23:45 PM
You'll find four links on this page to amazon sellers: http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2009/05/beethoven-sonatas-survey-of-complete.html

Thanks; I had seen Jen's page and wish-listed the set.  However, Jens is of the opinion that the stereo set is the one to have ...  decisions; decisions.

;)

George

Quote from: sanantonio on July 28, 2015, 03:29:17 PM
Thanks; I had seen Jen's page and wish-listed the set.  However, Jens is of the opinion that the stereo set is the one to have ...  decisions; decisions.

;)

It's not a huge difference, but I do prefer the mono set across the board.

Brian

Delos has reissued Carol Rosenberger's recording of Op. 109, which previously was available only as part of a children's album (?!). (Must be for unusually smart children.)

I'm listening immediately, both because of the personal connection (she "learned" the piece by listening to it constantly while stricken with polio) and because of the finale's bananas 16:13 track timing. Gotta find out what that's about.

Brian

Oh man...well there is certainly nothing else like this. At 5:30, still on variation #1. I can't tell if this is a hypnotic mad-scientist success or a noble, fascinating failure, but I'm leaning towards noble, fascinating failure. One thing's for sure: Rosenberger does have the touch and coloristic skills to play this slowly without putting you to sleep.