The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on March 13, 2015, 09:40:22 AM
Based on what you have displayed above I would certainly agree with the request to post more of your work; I would certainly love to see more of it and would also benefit a lot personally from looking at more work of a high standard and quality....the more the better.

Thanks. It's kind of you to say that. And while I understand what you're saying I'd like to add that from what I've looked at in this thread the standard is high - and in some cases exceptionally so. But I'll try and add a shot or two every now and then.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on March 13, 2015, 10:25:24 AM
Thanks. It's kind of you to say that. And while I understand what you're saying I'd like to add that from what I've looked at in this thread the standard is high - and in some cases exceptionally so. But I'll try and add a shot or two every now and then.

Cheers. Yes, I also think that the people here present wonderful work both technically and artisticly. I also find it a comfortable and non-intimidating place to participate in presenting the odd shot and that is once again down to all of the other participants; just a comment and a well done to all from a relative newcomer  ;)

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on March 14, 2015, 04:38:25 AM
Beautiful.

+1!

Update on my hard drives: after a lot of hours of fooling around, I've recovered almost everything. I am wildly relieved.  I was literally up almost all night working on it ???  One machine completely conked out the night before last, and the one that initially seemed to be the worst kept coughing up little bits, sometimes going down to several minutes for a single photo, or freezing altogether, but at other times (after lots of restarts), churning out pictures for several consecutive minutes. 
    this makes me really nervous (and paranoid) now about all of my digital media.  I probably have 20 TB all together (Music, movies, photos--including a lot of backup). 

It's all good...

aligreto

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 14, 2015, 05:04:25 PM

Update on my hard drives: after a lot of hours of fooling around, I've recovered almost everything. I am wildly relieved.  I was literally up almost all night working on it ???  One machine completely conked out the night before last, and the one that initially seemed to be the worst kept coughing up little bits, sometimes going down to several minutes for a single photo, or freezing altogether, but at other times (after lots of restarts), churning out pictures for several consecutive minutes. 
    this makes me really nervous (and paranoid) now about all of my digital media.  I probably have 20 TB all together (Music, movies, photos--including a lot of backup).

That is good news on your hard drive recovery. You echo my own fears about digital backups. I think that the only solution is multiple backups. I know I was once advised to do two hard drive backups and to suppliment those with also copying my photos onto DVDs as a further backup. I did start this process but never finished it. Perhaps this is a timely reminder to do so. Anyway, I am glad to see that you are emerging virtually intact.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: aligreto on March 15, 2015, 03:27:14 AM
That is good news on your hard drive recovery. You echo my own fears about digital backups. I think that the only solution is multiple backups. I know I was once advised to do two hard drive backups and to suppliment those with also copying my photos onto DVDs as a further backup. I did start this process but never finished it. Perhaps this is a timely reminder to do so. Anyway, I am glad to see that you are emerging virtually intact.

Me too!
   I love the idea of having backups on regular discs (Blu-ray?), but as I have about 2.3 tb of photos, it would be a giant project ??? i think I will just go with a primary and two backups.  Maybe even keep one in my office rather than at home...
It's all good...

aligreto

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 15, 2015, 05:06:47 AM
Me too!
   I love the idea of having backups on regular discs (Blu-ray?), but as I have about 2.3 tb of photos, it would be a giant project ??? i think I will just go with a primary and two backups.  Maybe even keep one in my office rather than at home...

Keeping one off site is a good idea so long as that one is also safe. If so then go for it!

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on March 16, 2015, 12:39:32 PM

I finally had the chance to view this on a decent monitor. And it's nice work.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on March 16, 2015, 12:39:32 PM.
Nice indeed, the play of light and shadow in the grass. The grass almost looks like the fur of a dog.

One from October:

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

//
Quote from: NikF on March 17, 2015, 03:59:06 PM
I finally had the chance to view this on a decent monitor. And it's nice work.

Thank you. It is a scan of a B/W print and, of course, the print looks much better.

Mookalafalas

These flowers are grown and used in some kind of tea, I think.  I drove a motorcycle up into the mountains to shoot them, and a fog started rolling in right when I got there.

Taiwan Daylilies 2.jpg by Mookalafalas, on Flickr

This was a gathering I passed on the way to teach a class.   
20131123-DC2C2442-1.jpg by Mookalafalas, on Flickr

It's all good...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 19, 2015, 05:58:08 AM
These flowers are grown and used in some kind of tea, I think.  I drove a motorcycle up into the mountains to shoot them, and a fog started rolling in right when I got there.

Very nice, especially the landscape. I've seen it before, not sure if it was in this thread though.

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Theme and Variations  Left click to enlarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Taiwan Daylilies 2.jpg by

Fantastic. Love the colors. My new wallpaper  8)

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

20131123-DC2C2442-1.jpg by Mookalafalas, on Flickr

Is there a reason why some wear white, others yellow?