The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2015, 03:58:45 AM
Roaming the streets of Mannheim some years ago, on a hot summer's day, I saw this girl who had found a way to keep cool: wading in the fountain at the Wasserturm (Water Tower). She'd ditched her clothes on the statue.

Sarge
Very nice capture indeed, Sarge!
Quote from: NikF on March 31, 2015, 03:12:28 AM
That tree looks alive - the ones I pass by when I walk to the studio are far less healthy looking. And I could be wrong, but it appears that lens is showing the beginnings of a swirl - a hint of comatic (as opposed to chromatic) aberration. But that can be cool.
There seems to be some comatic aberration in the lens, but certainly not enough to get me bothered.

Quote from: NikF on March 31, 2015, 03:28:42 AMI don't have much to contribute that I think would be of interest, but I commented above about printing photos and (I think) this is one from the last time I was in a darkroom.
I still exercise a lot. Some of that is in the form of running early in the morning a couple of times a week. And without fail I'm passed by younger people who leave me in the dust...
Anyway, I don't have a smartphone. So when I go running I usually take some kind of little film camera with me. In this instance it was an Olympus X(?) - the rangefinder - and as soon as I heard the guy about to overtake me I managed to get the camera out my pocket, open, crouched down to the road, and released the shutter. The over-exaggerated Dutch angle is a mistake, but kind of understandable in the circumstances.

Pretty cool - agreed that less would be more, angle-wise. I get mostly this kind of stuff when jogging:

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on March 31, 2015, 04:20:25 AM
Thread duty

This is good. And I like it. I'm particularly impressed by the background giving a sense of distance and scale, but also how within itself there's just enough variation to break it up a little.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on March 31, 2015, 03:14:24 AM

Yes, some subjects are naturals and completely at home in front of a camera. But the work of capturing it still needs to happen. And in this instance you've certainly done so, with the result of a good shot.

Thank you. He was in a good mood and I was messing around with him at the time and managed to keep him still for a moment to grab one shot!

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on March 31, 2015, 03:28:42 AM

I don't have much to contribute that I think would be of interest, but I commented above about printing photos and (I think) this is one from the last time I was in a darkroom.
I still exercise a lot. Some of that is in the form of running early in the morning a couple of times a week. And without fail I'm passed by younger people who leave me in the dust...
Anyway, I don't have a smartphone. So when I go running I usually take some kind of little film camera with me. In this instance it was an Olympus X(?) - the rangefinder - and as soon as I heard the guy about to overtake me I managed to get the camera out my pocket, open, crouched down to the road, and released the shutter. The over-exaggerated Dutch angle is a mistake, but kind of understandable in the circumstances.

I like that, I have to say. I like the drama and tension in it which is created by the very angle.

aligreto

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2015, 03:52:46 AM
Ah, there's the smile I couldn't coax from my niece. Nice.

Sarge

Thank you. Yes the smiles are good but funnily I like to take shots of kids just as they are which is not always with a smile. Your niece's pose is probably how she always reacted to a camera and therefore it is good to have that record also.

aligreto

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2015, 03:58:45 AM
Roaming the streets of Mannheim some years ago, on a hot summer's day, I saw this girl who had found a way to keep cool: wading in the fountain at the Wasserturm (Water Tower). She'd ditched her clothes on the statue.

Sarge

I really like that image!

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on March 31, 2015, 04:20:25 AM
Thread duty

What I like about that one is the detail and texture.

NikF

Getting smiles from a subject? Sometimes big girls don't want to smile too. I can remember exactly what I'd said to her in the first shot here... But eventually it started to change into something else and so it's all cool with me.

SOOC, apart from a touch of unsharp mask on account of me always shooting RAW.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on March 31, 2015, 01:54:09 PM
Getting smiles from a subject? Sometimes big girls don't want to smile too. I can remember exactly what I'd said to her in the first shot here... But eventually it started to change into something else and so it's all cool with me

SOOC, apart from a touch of unsharp mask on account of me always shooting RAW.
Nice work!

Quote from: NikF on March 31, 2015, 04:32:18 AM
This is good. And I like it. I'm particularly impressed by the background giving a sense of distance and scale, but also how within itself there's just enough variation to break it up a little.

Quote from: aligreto on March 31, 2015, 01:17:18 PM
What I like about that one is the detail and texture.
Thanks guys.

Thread duty

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Is it snow? Is it sand?  Does it matter?  ;)

Lovely shot, Karlo.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

Quote from: North Star on April 01, 2015, 05:22:37 AM

Thread duty

Good work again.
And I like how the presence of black in your shots is consistently reproduced as black. That's perhaps something that's not always the case when software offers so many options during processing. Also, I think the rule of thirds was mentioned as a tool that's often overused. But here I'm seeing a viable alternative that appears (to my eye) almost a natural triptych.

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on April 01, 2015, 05:25:36 AM
Is it snow? Is it sand?  Does it matter?  ;)

Lovely shot, Karlo.
Thanks, Karl.

It matters when you think what you will be wearing when photographing. I don't recommend skis in the latter case.  8)

Quote from: NikF on April 01, 2015, 05:42:02 AM
Good work again.
And I like how the presence of black in your shots is consistently reproduced as black. That's perhaps something that's not always the case when software offers so many options during processing. Also, I think the rule of thirds was mentioned as a tool that's often overused. But here I'm seeing a viable alternative that appears (to my eye) almost a natural triptych.
Thanks. Yes, I like a full range from blacks to whites, suiting the interpretation of the photograph, of course. This was a RAW file processed in camera, and some extra contrast added on computer.
Regarding composition, I don't think I thought as much of rule of thirds (short: rot :D ) as just having the center dune stretching from corner to corner in the photo.  I see what you mean with the triptych idea, but it wasn't a good option in practice - perhaps there were some footprints just outside the frame, I don't remember now.

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Not work/work

Whenever possible I like to document what I do. This was shot in the old studio. And if anyone's interested, this is Kodak Ektar colour film developed in black and white chemicals (usual stand development of 1:100 in Rodinal for one hour) courtesy of a rep who gave us a brick of the stuff. He said "You should use it the same as Kodachrome, that's what it's meant for" - sure, pal...

And this a tear sheet of the shot they chose to use. It was for a student magazine. But it got used for something else too. Yeah, I wouldn't have edited it that way either...but its down to the picture editor/assistant art director.

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on April 02, 2015, 11:03:36 PM
Not work/work

Whenever possible I like to document what I do....

Interesting; I like "people at work" images.

aligreto

The following "street portraits" are images that I took at a public horse fair....

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on April 02, 2015, 11:03:36 PM

Behind the scenes/backstage and finished product. Love it. Thanks. And thanks for providing the technical details. I haven't been in a darkroom since circa 1980, but I can still smell it  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"