The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on March 31, 2015, 01:54:09 PM
Getting smiles from a subject? Sometimes big girls don't want to smile too. I can remember exactly what I'd said to her in the first shot here... But eventually it started to change into something else and so it's all cool with me.

Whatever you said to her, I like the results, the subtle changes in expression.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: aligreto on April 03, 2015, 11:04:38 AM

Absolutely fantastic portraits (this one and the others you posted). They put a huge smile on my face. I can't imagine any event in Germany where I could could get this range of personality  8)

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: aligreto on March 31, 2015, 01:15:58 PM
Thank you. Yes the smiles are good but funnily I like to take shots of kids just as they are which is not always with a smile. Your niece's pose is probably how she always reacted to a camera and therefore it is good to have that record also.

For half a roll of Tri-X she refused to cooperate (despite the pleading from her great grandmother, mother and a couple of aunts). When I asked her if she wanted to quit, she shook her head no, and stayed on the couch. She eventually let herself be photographed without the hand mask and I got some interesting shots of a very serious little girl  8) The smile, though, eluded me that day. (The last is my favorite, one I've posted before.)

aligreto

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 03, 2015, 01:28:34 PM
Absolutely fantastic portraits (this one and the others you posted). They put a huge smile on my face. I can't imagine any event in Germany where I could could get this range of personality  8)

Sarge

Thank you Sarge; all are truly Dublin personalities, types you see on the streets every day of the week.

aligreto

NikF

Good work, guys. Some fine shots there.

Sarge, if you ever find yourself in the vicinity of a darkroom again, step inside for a moment and prepare yourself for time travel - because the smell and everything is that evocative.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on April 04, 2015, 10:01:37 PM

Sarge, if you ever find yourself in the vicinity of a darkroom again, step inside for a moment and prepare yourself for time travel - because the smell and everything is that evocative.

Once experienced, never forgotten!

Szykneij

Ah, yes ... the sweet aroma of sodium thiosulfate in the morning!

It brings back fond memories of the makeshift darkroom I had in the cellar as a youth, and somewhat stressful memories of  my college photography course sandwiched between a Music of the Middle Ages class and my afternoon rehearsals.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

aligreto

Another "street portrait"....

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on April 05, 2015, 08:52:17 AM

Obviously I haven't seen everything youve posted in the thread, but of those I have looked at this one's my favourite. Good job.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

aligreto

Thank you and very good of you to say so.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: aligreto on April 05, 2015, 08:52:17 AM

The slightly blurred woman, showing movement, the blurred fountain, and all captured at precisely the right moment to create a perfect composition. Those curves! Superb! And the umbrella puts a smile on my face  :)

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Szykneij on April 05, 2015, 04:17:53 AM
It brings back fond memories of the makeshift darkroom I had in the cellar as a youth, and somewhat stressful memories of  my college photography course sandwiched between a Music of the Middle Ages class and my afternoon rehearsals.

I took a darkroom/film development class sponsored by U of Akron in the late 70s (when I was a recruiter). My best friend also took the class. On the first day, the instructor complimented both of us on our choice of manual camera (a Canon FT and a Canon FTb). All the others in the class had automatic cameras which the instructor disdained  ;D  A few years later I took a Cibachrome class at the Army's photo shop (part of the recreation center) in Heidelberg Germany .

My makeshift darkroom in the early 80s was in our apartment's kitchen (German houses have Rollanden, rolling shutters, that keep out light). Mrs. Rock was just thrilled  :D

Sarge

Szykneij

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 08, 2015, 12:56:41 PM
I took a darkroom/film development class sponsored by U of Akron in the late 70s (when I was a recruiter). My best friend also took the class. On the first day, the instructor complimented both of us on our choice of manual camera (a Canon FT and a Canon FTb). All the others in the class had automatic cameras which the instructor disdained  ;D  A few years later I took a Cibachrome class at the Army's photo shop (part of the recreation center) in Heidelberg Germany .

My makeshift darkroom in the early 80s was in our apartment's kitchen (German houses have Rollanden, rolling shutters, that keep out light). Mrs. Rock was just thrilled  :D

Sarge

This was the camera I used. No automatic for me. either. It was a gift from my uncle and already ancient in 1977. It took 35 mm film, but only used half the normal frame size, so a 36 exposure roll gave me 72 shots.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Szykneij on April 08, 2015, 01:10:00 PM
This was the camera I used. No automatic for me. either. It was a gift from my uncle and already ancient in 1977. It took 35 mm film, but only used half the normal frame size, so a 36 exposure roll gave me 72 shots.

There's a thing of beauty...and fantasy! Looks like a camera made in Discworld  8)

Sarge

North Star

Quote from: NikF on April 05, 2015, 09:36:52 AM
Obviously I haven't seen everything youve posted in the thread, but of those I have looked at this one's my favourite. Good job.
Obviously I have seen everything aligreto has posted in the thread, but this one's my favourite.  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 08, 2015, 01:19:41 PM
There's a thing of beauty...and fantasy! Looks like a camera made in Discworld  8)

Sarge

There was a camera in discworld...I believe, however, that there was a tiny man (or something) inside which quickly sketched a picture of what it saw when the button was pressed.
It's all good...

aligreto

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 08, 2015, 12:33:07 PM
The slightly blurred woman, showing movement, the blurred fountain, and all captured at precisely the right moment to create a perfect composition. Those curves! Superb! And the umbrella puts a smile on my face  :)

Sarge

Thank you Sarge; good to be able to put a smile on someone's face  :)

aligreto

Quote from: Szykneij on April 08, 2015, 01:10:00 PM

What a wonderful looking piece of equipment!

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on April 08, 2015, 01:53:23 PM
Obviously I have seen everything aligreto has posted in the thread, but this one's my favourite.  8)

Thank you; delighted that you also liked it  :)