Quote from: aligreto on May 02, 2015, 12:12:22 AM
To crop or not to crop?

No, the original is much better to me.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on May 02, 2015, 12:24:42 AM
No original is much better to me.

I agree. The original is rather unworldly.  The cropped one is still very good, but loses that weird feeling that makes the first so startlingly good.
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 02, 2015, 01:56:43 AM
  I agree. The original is rather unworldly.  The cropped one is still very good, but loses that weird feeling that makes the first so startlingly good.
Tthere's definitely a surreal feel to the original.

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Cheers guys; I am inclined to agree myself although my natural instinct is generally to frame tightly around the subject. However in this case I feel that the first image has room to breath.

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on May 02, 2015, 02:09:55 AM
Cheers guys; I am inclined to agree myself although my natural instinct is generally to frame tightly around the subject. However in this case I feel that the first image has room to breath.
Framing the subject tightly isn't a universal goal at all. One should aim for a strong composition, and to excluding elements that don't add to the image, while not compromising the composition. And, crucially, that whole hill is subject. It adds to the image.

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

You hit the nail on the head with the point about that hill.  Its roundness is the key to the picture, I think; it seems to almost stand in for the whole earth, with the tree then acquiring some special status. This makes the three working up to it seem somehow threatening and unpleasant.  In the crop this effect is mostly lost--they are just boys on a hill.
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 02, 2015, 05:04:07 AM
You hit the nail on the head with the point about that hill.  Its roundness is the key to the picture, I think; it seems to almost stand in for the whole earth, with the tree then acquiring some special status. This makes the three working up to it seem somehow threatening and unpleasant.  In the crop this effect is mostly lost--they are just boys on a hill.
I didn't think they were threatening or unpleasant. Maybe your sympathy towards nature, represented by the tree, is coming to fore in your interpretation? Certainly it pits the persons climbing against the hill, and the  tree and bushes on it. The photo reminds me of the iconic photo of the American soldiers raising the flag on Iwo Jima. And, significantly - of course :P - the chap in a dark shirt is looking much more reluctant.

Thread duty - last one from the series for now, I think.

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on May 02, 2015, 10:24:00 PM
I didn't think they were threatening or unpleasant.

May sound strange, but due to their white pants, at first glance I thought of worms/grubs/larvae/maggots writhing and burrowing up the hill ???

while we're here :)
Black Swans in Shallow DOF.jpg by Mookalafalas, on Flickr
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 02, 2015, 10:31:55 PM
  May sound strange, but due to their white pants, at first glance I thought of worms/grubs/larvae/maggots writhing and burrowing up the hill ???

while we're here :)

Nice shot Al! I have a tendency to enjoy bird photography (and nature overall). The swan furthest to the right is spectacular. Why not focus on the two rightmost swans (perhaps three) and keep the water above them as well? The canal (and siding) is distracting as one's eyes hit the swans and tend to move leftwards and up in the image. Love the red bill contrasting with the black feathers!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on May 02, 2015, 02:18:37 AM
Framing the subject tightly isn't a universal goal at all. One should aim for a strong composition, and to excluding elements that don't add to the image, while not compromising the composition. And, crucially, that whole hill is subject. It adds to the image.

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 02, 2015, 05:04:07 AM

Thank you for the interesting comments guys. The background to that particular shot was that I was driving through the Irish countryside and saw that small hill in a wider landscape. There was indeed something mystical about it, which is why I noticed it in the first place. Then I saw the boys heading towards the hill. I stopped the car, walked back a it to get a little closer and waited for them to be in the position on the hill that I wanted.

aligreto

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 02, 2015, 10:31:55 PM

There is something unworldly about those swans; it is the eye colouring I think that makes them look a bit disconcerting!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 03, 2015, 12:50:55 AM
Nice shot Al! I have a tendency to enjoy bird photography (and nature overall). The swan furthest to the right is spectacular. Why not focus on the two rightmost swans (perhaps three) and keep the water above them as well? The canal (and siding) is distracting as one's eyes hit the swans and tend move leftwards and up. Love the red bill contrasting with the black feathers!

I agree with you, Peter!  As Aligreto mentions, the birds are cool looking and interesting, but the overall composition leaves a lot to be desired.  They were actually closing up the dock and I lay on my stomach and grabbed some pics, but none really did the subject justice...
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 03, 2015, 06:32:24 AM
  I agree with you, Peter!  As Aligreto mentions, the birds are cool looking and interesting, but the overall composition leaves a lot to be desired.  They were actually closing up the dock and I lay on my stomach and grabbed some pics, but none really did the subject justice...

It is still a great shot!  :)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Moonfish on May 03, 2015, 01:11:52 PM
It is still a great shot!  :)

I agree. Sure, the composition isn't perfect but it's a striking image nonetheless.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 30, 2015, 05:16:00 AM

Love the vibrant, almost surreal colors, and the forward motion. Boys never stand still.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 03, 2015, 01:20:56 PM
Love the vibrant, almost surreal colors, and the forward motion. Boys never stand still.

Sarge

And they don't cry.  8)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mookalafalas

Peter, Sarge, thanks for the nice comments. :)

George---Right, except when you don't let them play with your cell phone, watch the TV show they want to see, put on the shoes they don't want to wear, stay up late... :'( :'( :'(
It's all good...

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto