Time to warm up this thread...

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on December 05, 2015, 10:10:39 AM

Outstanding image! It caused my brain to do a series of flip-flops. Good exercise  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 05, 2015, 12:05:58 PM

Outstanding image! It caused my brain to do a series of flip-flops. Good exercise  ;D

Sarge
Thanks, Sarge:)

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

"The most agile brain on GMG!"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on December 07, 2015, 11:34:02 AM
The coolness of the colour(s) caught my eye. Nice work.
Thanks.

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Have a scan of Toots McGams.

Or don't.  ;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

End of an era kind of sort of.

[img w

In the studio to sell one of the work cameras to some guy. My assistant announced/whined "I've never, ever had my photo taken with one of those!" and so I got him to sit for me. Note: only one exposure and it's my composition/lighting/shutter release all the way - but not my choice of editing.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on December 10, 2015, 01:15:51 AM
Have a scan of Toots McGams.

Always a pleasure to see Toots  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 11, 2015, 04:51:26 AM
Always a pleasure to see Toots  8)

Sarge

Yeah, it is. My life is terrible. ;D

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

NikF

Quote from: George on December 11, 2015, 12:05:19 PM
Who is Toots McGams?

She's a Danish-English model and giantess, who when not appearing on the runway or the packaging for OEM lingerie, enjoys yoga, baking, and cheating at Monopoly. That's all I know.

George

Quote from: NikF on December 11, 2015, 12:50:55 PM
She's a Danish-English model and giantess, who when not appearing on the runway or the packaging for OEM lingerie, enjoys yoga, baking, and cheating at Monopoly. That's all I know.

Your girlfriend?

I asked because a Google of her name turned up nothing.

NikF

Quote from: George on December 11, 2015, 02:51:34 PM
Your girlfriend?

I asked because a Google of her name turned up nothing.

Yeah, she is.

Toots McGams isn't her real name. I just refer to her as 'Toots' in an affectionate way - sort of how it was used as a nickname for women years ago. And the 'gams' part is slang for legs http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gams because in two or three inch heels she's over six feet tall.

George

Ah, thanks for explaining. I was mispronouncing Toots. I know the word, but never saw it in print before.

North Star

More from the lake stone's throw away from here

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on December 12, 2015, 12:11:54 AM
More from the lake stone's throw away from here

I'm going back and forth a little over the vignette - or maybe the type of vignette - but that's a good shot, nonetheless. Actually, I'm also thinking of an alternate crop, but you should know by now that's just me.   ;D

North Star

Quote from: NikF on December 12, 2015, 12:48:08 AM
I'm going back and forth a little over the vignette - or maybe the type of vignette - but that's a good shot, nonetheless. Actually, I'm also thinking of an alternate crop, but you should know by now that's just me.   ;D
The type of vignette? That's what I get with a 50.4mm lens at f/1.8...

As for alternate crops, what did you have in mind?

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on December 12, 2015, 01:28:26 AM
The type of vignette? That's what I get with a 50.4mm lens at f/1.8...

As for alternate crops, what did you have in mind? :D

I don't recall that Nikkor behaving that way wide open. In any case, if I'm shooting with a large aperture and find the 'walls creeping in' I take care of it in Photoshop. Is it as apparent SOOC? The 50mm I most often use is a 1.2 and while there's fall off it's not as pronounced.

Crop - I was thinking of removing just a touch from the top to allow the lake to dominate just a little more. The lake already gives me the impression that it's almost brooding as it reaches out to pull the viewer in. As I said, it's a fine shot as it stands.

e: here's the 1.2 for comparison. The bottom of the frame is untouched. Also, take in to account that I always use a vented RF hood and gaffer tape with this lens. Don't ask.  ;D

That's the only example I have at hand and it's raining outside, so I've already been soaked once this morning during my run. The hell with a repeat performance.  :D