The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: NikF on December 12, 2015, 01:58:32 AM
I don't recall that Nikkor behaving that way wide open. In any case, if I'm shooting with a large aperture and find the 'walls creeping in' I take care of it in Photoshop. Is it as apparent SOOC? The 50mm I most often use is a 1.2 and while there's fall off it's not as pronounced.

Crop - I was thinking of removing just a touch from the top to allow the lake to dominate just a little more. The lake already gives me the impression that it's almost brooding as it reaches out to pull the viewer in. As I said, it's a fine shot as it stands.

e: here's the 1.2 for comparison. The bottom of the frame is untouched. Also, take in to account that I always use a vented RF hood and gaffer tape with this lens. Don't ask.  ;D

That's the only example I have at hand and it's raining outside, so I've already been soaked once this morning during my run. The hell with a repeat performance.  :D
Oh, it's not that apparent SOOC, of course. What I meant was, that's what I get when I pump the contrast sky high in post.  :laugh:

Crop: Alright, I see. Yes, that's a good suggestion. And yes, brooding indeed.

Re: 1.2 - yeah, that's more vignette than the 1.8, of course.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on December 12, 2015, 03:12:20 AM
Oh, it's not that apparent SOOC, of course. What I meant was, that's what I get when I pump the contrast sky high in post.  :laugh:

Good. I'm glad, because for a moment there I was thinking "What kind of sick, twisted individual was responsible for North Star using such a crappy lens?!  ??? "   ;D

Crop: Alright, I see. Yes, that's a good suggestion. And yes, brooding indeed.

Yes. And that crop is even better than I imagined it would be. Good stuff.
Keep in mind that when your subjects are like this I consider what I'm seeing on a screen, but also the impact of it printed and being displayed. In this case, when in an exhibition environment I feel the water in that image could almost be invading part of my personal space.

Re: 1.2 - yeah, that's more vignette than the 1.8, of course.

I only use a 1.2 because I don't want to carry my work 2.0 around with me all the time. I've had it for so long.

1.2 is cool if you're shooting handheld 1/15 or 1/8 or slower. But still, it's only half a stop (or if you measure it as a t-stop, maybe only one quarter) or so and wide open is never the best. I had a Noct-Nikkor which was great in the dark, but miserable otherwise.

But yeah, in my humble opinion that crop has worked great.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on December 12, 2015, 04:09:38 AM
Good. I'm glad, because for a moment there I was thinking "What kind of sick, twisted individual was responsible for North Star using such a crappy lens?!  ??? "   ;D
Hah!

Quote from: NikF on December 12, 2015, 04:09:38 AMYes. And that crop is even better than I imagined it would be. Good stuff.
Keep in mind that when your subjects are like this I consider what I'm seeing on a screen, but also the impact of it printed and being displayed. In this case, when in an exhibition environment I feel the water in that image could almost be invading part of my personal space.

But yeah, in my humble opinion that crop has worked great.
Yes, that's a good way to put into words what I was trying to convey with image.
Agreed, re: crop.

Quote from: NikF on December 12, 2015, 04:09:38 AMI only use a 1.2 because I don't want to carry my work 2.0 around with me all the time. I've had it for so long.

1.2 is cool if you're shooting handheld 1/15 or 1/8 or slower. But still, it's only half a stop (or if you measure it as a t-stop, maybe only one quarter) or so and wide open is never the best. I had a Noct-Nikkor which was great in the dark, but miserable otherwise.
Yeah, I think I'd rather get a body that has relatively little noise at some crazy high ISO's than go with a 1.2 wide open for very low light stuff.

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

In this instance the mouth should be either fully closed or the lips parted fuller.

Also, despite having such a relatively small nose there's always a risk of breaking the line of the cheek - which I don't consider a good thing.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on January 05, 2016, 12:28:45 AM
In this instance the mouth should be either fully closed or the lips parted fuller.

Also, despite having such a relatively small nose there's always a risk of breaking the line of the cheek - which I don't consider a good thing.

I understand and agree with the second point but what is the thinking behind the first point please? I am seeing a very natural pose.

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on January 05, 2016, 08:12:16 AM
I understand and agree with the second point but what is the thinking behind the first point please? I am seeing a very natural pose.

As always, I can only speak from my experience.
Yeah, it's natural, but it isn't something you would turn in to a client or an agency and expect them to take you seriously. That type of natural is fine for a snapshot or some kind of candid capture.
This is what I wanted -

Or on the way to this, because here there's at least the basis of something to work with when retouching -

e: but thanks for questioning it. It's good to question, and the lack of questioning allied to the general echo chamber/circle jerk of most photography message boards is part of the reason I no longer post on them; years ago one popular forum banned me for politely pointing out that an "expert glamour photographer" member who had a book published on the topic of 'vintage Playboy style glamour photography', had failed to even mention a hugely important aspect of the work that is integral to the look he's an expert on.

aligreto

Thank you for that and for the visuals to help with the point.

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on January 06, 2016, 08:21:32 AM
Thank you for that and for the visuals to help with the point.

You're welcome.

In other news...

This photo from the above post -

We shot this in the garden. It has been edited, but it's basically the result of an orange #21 filter.

This was taken the same day, but with a long lens on medium format digital -

'Completely Untouched Toots' ;D

aligreto

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on January 08, 2016, 01:09:52 PM

Of the two, this one by far. It's more together as a composition - which makes it more immediate for me - and I find it more interesting, despite it being relatively simpler than the other shot.
At this point I usually say something such as "...and have you considered perhaps trying..." but I will refrain from doing so.  ;D

North Star

Quote from: NikF on January 10, 2016, 10:49:16 AM
Of the two, this one by far.
Agreed.
QuoteAt this point I usually say something such as "...and have you considered perhaps trying..." but I will refrain from doing so.  ;D
Drat!

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on January 10, 2016, 10:54:12 AM
Drat!

Okay, but apologies if you're already thinking and considering or even started working this way.
I find when employing a shallow DOF to still life, that manipulating the lighting ratio can often work with it, almost hand in hand. A piece of white card (we use sheets of polystyrene) or proper reflectors are good. Sometimes the addition of more specular-like highlights can be interesting - in which case the aforementioned card covered with tinfoil/kitchen foil is good. In my little shoulder bag that goes nearly everywhere with me I carry one of those folding windshield reflectors, although this can make Leica users look at you with horror and exclaim "On no, he is a poor".

NikF

North Star

Quote from: NikF on January 10, 2016, 11:06:48 AM
Okay, but apologies if you're already thinking and considering or even started working this way.
I find when employing a shallow DOF to still life, that manipulating the lighting ratio can often work with it, almost hand in hand. A piece of white card (we use sheets of polystyrene) or proper reflectors are good. Sometimes the addition of more specular-like highlights can be interesting - in which case the aforementioned card covered with tinfoil/kitchen foil is good. In my little shoulder bag that goes nearly everywhere with me I carry one of those folding windshield reflectors
Apologies unnecessary, even if I had.  8) Of course I have thought about them, but don't recall using them, apart from a white sheet of paper once. I can't say I've considered before that it could be especially useful with shallow DOF still-life, although obviously using window light, they would be useful in modifying the light.
Quotealthough this can make Leica users look at you with horror and exclaim "On no, he is a poor".
:laugh:

Quote from: NikF on January 10, 2016, 11:08:14 AM
And this is of even more interest. Good stuff.
Thanks.

My photographs on Flickr

Szykneij

I took this one a couple of months ago. My timing was good. The next day, most of the leaves were gone.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

NikF

Quote from: North Star on January 10, 2016, 11:27:23 AM
Apologies unnecessary, even if I had.  8) Of course I have thought about them, but don't recall using them, apart from a white sheet of paper once. I can't say I've considered before that it could be especially useful with shallow DOF still-life, although obviously using window light, they would be useful in modifying the light. :laugh:
Thanks.

You're welcome.

See, I view a reflector the same as simply another light source. In fact, I'll even include flags and scrims with that. It's all there and can be used as you see fit.
I don't really shoot still life, but I'll have a think and try to come up with an example.

Quote from: Szykneij on January 10, 2016, 12:09:31 PM
I took this one a couple of months ago. My timing was good. The next day, most of the leaves were gone.

Yes, your timing was good - as is the resulting shot. I like looking at photos, so thanks for posting it.