My photographs on Flickr

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: Artem on January 17, 2016, 07:43:47 AM
Lars von Trier?  8)

Love your posts here NikF.

I had a look for a photo of Lars von Trier and I can see why you suggested him. ;D
And thanks for the kind words.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: North Star on January 20, 2016, 05:43:13 AM
no. 4

Of those posted I could say I prefer this most, for the usual reason of it being more together as a composition, however I'm also coming back to this one and wishing the background was perhaps just a hair softer -

Quote from: North Star on January 19, 2016, 12:58:44 AM

Only my opinion...
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Missing the shot -

The dude kept taking one or two steps, then stopping and standing like that. Meanwhile, I'm looking at the rest of the scene and stuff like getting the choreography of passerby neatly framed between the trees, the pigeon  looking down at him and hopefully anticipating the next few places placing him where it will look like the foot of the clock is about to swing down and...kick him up the derrière. Sadly, it didn't happen because I was standing in the middle of the road, and the traffic was getting angry, including a cop car that sounded its siren for a moment, and when I looked over at it the officer behind the wheel clearly gestured and mouthed "f*** off".
Woe.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on January 20, 2016, 07:21:03 AM
Of those posted I could say I prefer this most, for the usual reason of it being more together as a composition, however I'm also coming back to this one and wishing the background was perhaps just a hair softer -

Only my opinion...

Yes, I like it more as well, and for the same reason: it's better.  :P
Yes, that should have a tad or a smidgen shallower DOF. The others are shot in the further end of the telephoto range and as I zoomed out to include more at the edges of the frame, I didn't remember to change the aperture before I had taken that shot. Drat.

Quote from: NikF on January 20, 2016, 07:30:41 AM
Missing the shot -

The dude kept taking one or two steps, then stopping and standing like that. Meanwhile, I'm looking at the rest of the scene and stuff like getting the choreography of passerby neatly framed between the trees, the pigeon  looking down at him and hopefully anticipating the next few places placing him where it will look like the foot of the clock is about to swing down and...kick him up the derrière. Sadly, it didn't happen because I was standing in the middle of the road, and the traffic was getting angry, including a cop car that sounded its siren for a moment, and when I looked over at it the officer behind the wheel clearly gestured and mouthed "f*** off".
Woe.

Hah! The photo certainly shows the potential for the shot.

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

I've been avoiding this thread.  It makes me feel guilty for not shooting. However, just had vacation and shot quite a bit.  Happily, some of it even fits in with the snow theme :)
Fence and shadow after snowfall by Al Walzem, on Flickr

Winter scene in Sherrard, IA by Al Walzem, on Flickr
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Mookalafalas on January 26, 2016, 04:34:25 PM
I've been avoiding this thread.  It makes me feel guilty for not shooting. However, just had vacation and shot quite a bit.  Happily, some of it even fits in with the snow theme :)

Very nice, Al.

Thread duty - one from October.

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on January 29, 2016, 04:40:21 AM
Very nice, Al.

Thread duty - one from October.

Damn! That is sweet.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 29, 2016, 06:20:04 AM
Good to see you shooting again. These are outstanding.

Sarge

Thanks, Sarge :)
It's all good...

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: Mookalafalas on January 26, 2016, 04:34:25 PM
Fence and shadow after snowfall by Al Walzem, on Flickr

I like this. It follows the rules nicely and as part of that encourages my eye along the way.

NikF

Quote from: North Star on February 04, 2016, 05:45:49 AM

Interesting crop. And I can't help but think that if Jean Renoir shot using an aspect ratio similar to that we'd pan until coming to rest on a couple like Jean Gabin and Simone Simon in repose  ;D (you've probably already seen it, but if you haven't try to watch 'La bête humaine' - especially on the big screen of a cinema.)
And to repeat myself again and again, this is another shot I feel sure would benefit from printing, mounting and being displayed. I don't know how much of a crop it is and so your real estate might be limited for that, but in principle I believe it would work.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on February 05, 2016, 03:19:26 AM
Interesting crop. And I can't help but think that if Jean Renoir shot using an aspect ratio similar to that we'd pan until coming to rest on a couple like Jean Gabin and Simone Simon in repose  ;D (you've probably already seen it, but if you haven't try to watch 'La bête humaine' - especially on the big screen of a cinema.)
I've read Renoir, mon père, but other than that, I'm sorry to say that I only know Jean Renoir's work by reputation.  :-[

QuoteAnd to repeat myself again and again, this is another shot I feel sure would benefit from printing, mounting and being displayed. I don't know how much of a crop it is and so your real estate might be limited for that, but in principle I believe it would work.
I'm sure it would. The long side isn't cropped (6000x2380) so there's plenty of real estate. I haven't done any significant amounts of multidimensional cropping in ages.

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on February 05, 2016, 04:45:16 AM
I've read Renoir, mon père, but other than that, I'm sorry to say that I only know Jean Renoir's work by reputation.  :-[
I'm sure it would. The long side isn't cropped (6000x2380) so there's plenty of real estate. I haven't done any significant amounts of multidimensional cropping in ages.

The Renoir might fall into the category of 'Okay, seen it, don't need to see it again' but I feel it's worth catching.

In other news -

A old scan of a tear sheet. This is from...eight or nine years ago. I remember being surprised that they went with this shot, due to the lack of fill. The shame of it!

North Star

My photographs on Flickr