Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Very nice, Sarge. Beautiful use of the window & curtains as frames withing frame, and love the window light. I'm not quite sure what I think of the model's left eye being partly behind the curtain.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Coincidentally, my gf is looking for a better camera. Do you use a digital Karlo, some form of SLR, etc?

North Star

A DSLR, Nikon D7100 to be precise. What sort of use would your gf's camera get?

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 24, 2016, 10:12:07 AM

The companion piece to a photo I posted more than two years ago.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,23022.msg790126.html#msg790126

Sarge

Good work, Sarge. I agree with North Star about the eye being neither here nor there, but it's not a distraction. I also agree with him about the frame within frame -  especially how the it's both more imposing and also leaning to the right. Finally, that lighting isn't the easiest to employ when photographing a woman, but she has a great face and so it's showing it off and is as flattering as hell. Yeah, the more I look at it the more I like it.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: North Star on July 31, 2016, 06:44:52 AM

In my humble opinion, a little more light on the left. Sometimes even the open palm of your hand (outside the intended final crop, of course) will serve as enough of a reflector to bounce enough light back. Or if you hold a business card or playing card or something, you get the idea. I do like the diagonal going from bottom left to top right, though. I just feel the darkness is a little overwhelming - at the cost of that nice split(?) of the skin on the right hand side.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on August 05, 2016, 04:05:15 AM
In my humble opinion, a little more light on the left. Sometimes even the open palm of your hand (outside the intended final crop, of course) will serve as enough of a reflector to bounce enough light back. Or if you hold a business card or playing card or something, you get the idea. I do like the diagonal going from bottom left to top right, though. I just feel the darkness is a little overwhelming - at the cost of that nice split(?) of the skin on the right hand side.
I can't but agree. Here's a bit less contrast and some exposure adjustment. I (rashly) got rid of the raw file, though.

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on August 05, 2016, 05:02:44 AM
I can't but agree. Here's a bit less contrast and some exposure adjustment. I (rashly) got rid of the raw file, though.

You...you did what?!  :o Six months of no music spent in solitary confinement shooting selfies in tungsten light using one of these https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_film for you! That'll teach you!  ;D

Yeah, that's a little more like it. Or more exactly, a little more to my taste. As ever, it's your shot and your opinion matters most. That's why it's important to ask yourself "Is that what I really wanted?" -  I still ask myself that question, even now and especially when others are giving me praise or positive feedback.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on August 05, 2016, 05:19:52 AM
You...you did what?!  :o Six months of no music spent in solitary confinement shooting selfies in tungsten light using one of these https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_film for you! That'll teach you!  ;D
I need more HDD space to put a stop to those bad, bad habits.

QuoteYeah, that's a little more like it. Or more exactly, a little more to my taste. As ever, it's your shot and your opinion matters most. That's why it's important to ask yourself "Is that what I really wanted?" -  I still ask myself that question, even now and especially when others are giving me praise or positive feedback.
Oh, absolutely. Although 'what I wanted' is quite ephemeral a thing.

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on August 05, 2016, 05:31:33 AM
Oh, absolutely. Although 'what I wanted' is quite ephemeral a thing.

True. Absolute!y true. And the cue for years of honesty and discipline and holding your vision firmly in sight and all that. Isn't it great? ;D

North Star

Quote from: NikF on August 05, 2016, 05:41:11 AM
True. Absolute!y true. And the cue for years of honesty and discipline and holding your vision firmly in sight and all that. Isn't it great? ;D
Oh, sure.  8)

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on July 24, 2016, 12:00:01 PM
Very nice, Sarge. Beautiful use of the window & curtains as frames withing frame, and love the window light. I'm not quite sure what I think of the model's left eye being partly behind the curtain.

Quote from: NikF on August 05, 2016, 03:18:11 AM
Good work, Sarge. I agree with North Star about the eye being neither here nor there, but it's not a distraction. I also agree with him about the frame within frame -  especially how the it's both more imposing and also leaning to the right. Finally, that lighting isn't the easiest to employ when photographing a woman, but she has a great face and so it's showing it off and is as flattering as hell. Yeah, the more I look at it the more I like it.

Thank you both. The half eye doesn't bother me (in fact I never noticed that fault before reading your comments). I think it emphasizes her playful peek-a-boo expression. What does bother me is the lack of light on the hair, neck and arm on her right side. A reflector would have helped but that wasn't something I thought about at that moment...I was just thrilled she'd agreed to pose at all (the shoot was a spur of the moment thing). A few years later she showed up at my apartment late at night, very tipsy, and wanted to model again. I was so flustered I forgot to change the ISO setting when I loaded Tri-X 400 into my Canon (it had been set for Kodachrome 64) and grossly overexposed much of the roll  ;D At least I managed to include both her eyes this time  ;)

sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"