The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 05, 2016, 12:05:48 PM
Thank you both. The half eye doesn't bother me (in fact I never noticed that fault before reading your comments). I think it emphasizes her playful peek-a-boo expression. What does bother me is the lack of light on the hair and arm on her right side. A reflector would have helped but that wasn't something I thought about at that moment...I was just thrilled she'd agreed to pose at all (the shoot was a spur of the moment thing). A few years later she showed up at my apartment late at night, very tipsy, and wanted to model again. I was so flustered I forgot to change the ISO setting when I loaded Tri-X 400 into my Canon (it had been set for Kodachrome 64) and grossly overexposed much of the roll  ;D At least I managed to include both her eyes this time  ;)

sarge

She's absolutely vivacious. But that's only half the deal because capturing it is always the required closer - and it's never as simple (well not consistently) as some might think.
As for Tri-X, it's still my walkaround (years ago in the studio we shot Plus-X) and though it's not exactly the same Tri-X as you shot it's still great at offering character and flexibility.
Anyway, thanks for posting these, Sarge. I've got a lot of enjoyment in viewing them - not only because it's an attractive woman, but also because as I said it's truly a capture in the photos. Good stuff.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

Angles (a slightly improved edit)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Nice to see this thread bumped. I haven't been too happy with most of my photographs lately, but here's something.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 02, 2016, 11:53:17 AM
Angles (a slightly improved edit)

Sarge

Nice work, Sarge - especially considering your key looks like it was on axis you've still got depth and shape on her limbs.
And can I bet all I own on it being Tri-X again? ;D If it isn't that it's got to be HP5. Perhaps.  :laugh:
Anyway, yeah, good stuff.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: North Star on September 02, 2016, 12:15:55 PM
Nice to see this thread bumped. I haven't been too happy with most of my photographs lately, but here's something.

Why haven't you been happy with them? Do tell.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on September 02, 2016, 12:15:55 PM
Nice to see this thread bumped.

Bumping was my primary intention...the thread had dropped to the third page...  :o

Sarge

North Star

Quote from: NikF on September 02, 2016, 12:21:14 PM
Why haven't you been happy with them? Do tell.
I haven't had much time or energy to put into it, and when I go on a stroll in some very familiar place and the weather is awful (at worst, not a drop of rain or even a cloud at sight ;) ), it doesn't help. I'm sure inspiration will flow, come fall and winter, though.

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on September 02, 2016, 12:19:23 PM
And can I bet all I own on it being Tri-X again? ;D If it isn't that it's got to be HP5. Perhaps.  :laugh:

I'm not sure how to tell you this (and reveal my secrets) but it was actually Kodachrome 64 which I converted to b&w using virtualPhotographer (a program designed to mimic film). Apparently it does a pretty good job ;)

Sarge

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 02, 2016, 12:38:05 PM
I'm not sure how to tell you this (and reveal my secrets) but it was actually Kodachrome 64 which I converted to b&w using virtualPhotographer (a program designed to mimic film). Apparently it does a pretty good job ;)

Sarge
I'm looking forward to seeing what you will do with all the new gear you have soon in your hands, Sarge. :P

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on September 02, 2016, 12:40:34 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what you will do with all the new gear you have soon in your hands, Sarge. :P

;D :D ;D ...I'm especially looking forward to all the studio lights  8)

Sarge

Parsifal

Sarge

Ahh, Kodachrome 64. Just the thought of that morass of toxic chemicals gives a warm feeling.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on September 02, 2016, 12:43:57 PM
Ahh, Kodachrome 64. Just the thought of that morass of toxic chemicals gives a warm feeling.

The acrid stench of the darkroom...I can still smell it even though it's been 25 years.

Sarge

Parsifal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 02, 2016, 12:50:09 PM
The acrid stench of the darkroom...I can still smell it even though it's been 25 years.

Sarge

Now, Sarge, you didn't develop Kodachrome 64 yourself, did you?  For me it was Tri-X, Plus-X, Pan-X, and even a few rolls of Kodak 2475 recording film.

NikF

Sarge

I'm not going to edit my post. ;D Yeah, it does a fine job...a fine job indeed...man, I'm getting past it  :laugh:

At first I read that as you having developed the Kodachrome in BW chemistry - which as you probably know is possible because the dyes are in the processing chemicals. And funnily enough I sold a lot of my studio lights recently and when we were testing them I burned some Kodacolor 200 (or whatever it's called) and developed in good old Rodinal.

Anyway, the cheque's in the post although I'm worth less than I was a couple of months ago :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on September 02, 2016, 12:53:44 PM
Now, Sarge, you didn't develop Kodachrome 64 yourself, did you?

No, of course not. The only color processing I ever did was making Cibachrome prints from slides at the Army's photo lab in Heidelberg.

Sarge

Parsifal

I figure I should put up something.

No Tri-X here, iPhone 5S.

NikF

Quote from: North Star on September 02, 2016, 12:33:21 PM
I haven't had much time or energy to put into it, and when I go on a stroll in some very familiar place and the weather is awful (at worst, not a drop of rain or even a cloud at sight ;) ), it doesn't help. I'm sure inspiration will flow, come fall and winter, though.

Don't worry about it. I mean, I'm sure you're not worrying. But don't worry anyway. ;D

Here's my "there are no clouds" story -
Back when I was a teenager we occasionally used to rent the studio darkroom out. Although the large format landscape dudes all had their own darkrooms, they liked our place. Anyway, I was looking at one guy who had made a beautiful exposure. It was a landscape and you could already see it was good work. But the sky was almost cloudless and blown out to hell. So he wanders off and comes back with some A4 prints of different landscapes...which all had the same wonderful sky.  :o That's when I discovered that they all had a selection of stock sky exposures and dropped them in as required. ;D

aligreto

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 02, 2016, 12:50:09 PM

Sarge

Same here; although it has been a long, long time, that smell never leaves you.

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on September 02, 2016, 12:56:24 PM
.... And funnily enough I sold a lot of my studio lights recently and when we were testing them I burned some Kodacolor 200 (or whatever it's called) and developed in good old Rodinal.

Anyway, the cheque's in the post although I'm worth less than I was a couple of months ago :)

But you are happy, right?  ;)  :)

aligreto

Quote from: Scarpia on September 02, 2016, 01:01:56 PM
I figure I should put up something.

No Tri-X here, iPhone 5S.

Nice shot!