Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on August 06, 2015, 04:52:01 PM
Yuck.

Yeah... can't see what they're trying for there.

But to be fair to EMI most of the others in the Matrix series are *slightly* more presentable, if still kind of basic and sketchy:

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 06, 2015, 05:16:38 PM
Yeah... can't see what they're trying for there.

But to be fair to EMI most of the others in the Matrix series are *slightly* more presentable, if still kind of basic and sketchy:

I think they're nice enough pictures. But as for what they have to do with the music on the albums... I ain't got a clue.

TheGSMoeller

Pat B

First Maazel, now Salonen. I guess editing conductors' hands out of photos is (or was) a Thing.

SimonNZ

Came across this the other day which while not a very bad cover is at least a curious title.

Knowing that DG aren't famous for their tongue in cheek sense of humour I looked a little further and (unfortunately) confirmed my suspision that its just a series of sampler discs for a range of composers, and they added Stockhausen without considering the false advertising:

Though I can't figure out the connection between Chopin and coat hangers:

And maybe this one was starting to get misguided:

Peter Power Pop

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 15, 2015, 06:34:08 PM

Came across this the other day which while not a very bad cover is at least a curious title.

Knowing that DG aren't famous for their tongue in cheek sense of humour I looked a little further and (unfortunately) confirmed my suspision that its just a series of sampler discs for a range of composers, and they added Stockhausen without considering the false advertising:

And maybe this one was starting to get misguided:

Discogs lists 19 albums in the DG Festival of Hits series.

One that isn't listed on Discogs is a Festival of Hits featuring the speedy work of Herbert von Karajan:

I think my favourite of the series, if only for the name, is probably this one:

Jo498

Very interesting. I have never seen those, and apparently they never appeared in Germany/Europe. I think they would have not gone that well with DG's image in Germany and the still rather serious status of classical music at this time.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

kishnevi

Why a stopwatch for Schubert?  I would have used it for Chopin (Minute Waltz)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 16, 2015, 07:08:37 PM
Why a stopwatch for Schubert?

I was thinking the same thing.

QuoteI would have used it for Chopin (Minute Waltz)

Yes, or Haydn's "Clock" symphony.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Pat B

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 15, 2015, 06:34:08 PM

More appropriate for Tchaikovsky, perhaps?

André

"Festival of Hits" came out in the early seventies. I had just started listening to classical music then. Bought Mozart, Bach, and 'piano' FoH. Sweet memories of youth ... ::)

SimonNZ

I'm told it's a superb recording, but...

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 23, 2015, 05:09:14 PM

I'm not a huge fan of photos of people staring at their hands. I suppose he's being "thoughtful", but the more I look at the photo the more it weirds me out.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 23, 2015, 05:09:14 PM

Egad!*. There's a whole series of covers like that. They're all lumped together and called "paradise regained" (it's deliberately lowercase).

Looking at all those covers, I'm thinking it might be the young-'uns are acting out the music. But to me, it looks more like "interpretive dance":

(*Sorry about the swearing there.)

André

Androgynous looks, most of them. It must sell I'm sure.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: André on August 24, 2015, 08:04:06 AM
Androgynous looks, most of them. It must sell I'm sure.
I'm guessing 3 and 4 is a guy? Though I'm not 100% sure.

Idk, there might be a market for people who like guys who like like girls or girls who look like guys. A very, very small market. And I'm sure they are all Ockegehm fans.