Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 23, 2017, 05:48:10 PM
This:

Yikes. That's bad. It took me at least 30 seconds to figure out that I was possibly looking at the back of a woman with pigtails. As opposed to some kind of multi-coloured chicken in flight.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: ørfeo on December 23, 2017, 05:53:27 PM
Yikes. That's bad. It took me at least 30 seconds to figure out that I was possibly looking at the back of a woman with pigtails. As opposed to some kind of multi-coloured chicken in flight.

Indeed. It kind of reminds me of 8-bit Nintendo graphics. :)

kyjo

Ha! I had the same reaction ;D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Madiel

What possible association do... a couple of folk dancers (?) have with a Bruckner symphony anyway?

The more I look at it the worse it gets. We don't often get technically incompetent and thematically meaningless into the same cover.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

amw

Wow can't believe no one else realised this is actually a still shot from the award winning stop motion animation film Chicken Run (2001) which also, like Bruckner's 3rd symphony, contains quotes from Wagner's Lohengrin and Tannhauser in its soundtrack

Madiel

Quote from: amw on December 23, 2017, 09:03:24 PM
Wow can't believe no one else realised this is actually a still shot from the award winning stop motion animation film Chicken Run (2001) which also, like Bruckner's 3rd symphony, contains quotes from Wagner's Lohengrin and Tannhauser in its soundtrack

:laugh:

Biffo

I have only just discovered this thread, there was a similar one in the Amazon.co.uk forum a while ago. I am surprised how sensitive some people are, I have never not bought a CD or LP because of a repulsive cover. Most classical ones are boring, occasionally they are horrid, even more occasionally they are outstandingly good. If I wanted another Bruckner 3 (I don't at the moment), the hand-knitted chicken taking flight wouldn't put me off - the performance is vastly more important.

Mahlerian

Quote from: ørfeo on December 23, 2017, 07:14:10 PMWhat possible association do... a couple of folk dancers (?) have with a Bruckner symphony anyway?

The finale of the Third does have that polka/chorale second subject...but I agree it's a weak association.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Madiel

Quote from: Biffo on December 24, 2017, 03:07:36 AM
I have only just discovered this thread, there was a similar one in the Amazon.co.uk forum a while ago. I am surprised how sensitive some people are, I have never not bought a CD or LP because of a repulsive cover. Most classical ones are boring, occasionally they are horrid, even more occasionally they are outstandingly good. If I wanted another Bruckner 3 (I don't at the moment), the hand-knitted chicken taking flight wouldn't put me off - the performance is vastly more important.

This thread isn't about things we wouldn't buy. Indeed, in a great many cases people are presenting things they HAVE bought.

Biffo

Quote from: ørfeo on December 24, 2017, 12:10:28 PM
This thread isn't about things we wouldn't buy. Indeed, in a great many cases people are presenting things they HAVE bought.

Some of the early posters say they have been put off buying by covers - Varese, Lulu etc

Madiel

Quote from: Biffo on December 24, 2017, 01:46:14 PM

Some of the early posters say they have been put off buying by covers - Varese, Lulu etc

Well if you're reading posts from 10 years ago I'm afraid I can't help you.

Nor did I say no-one had ever said that. What I said is that that isn't what the thread is about.

Biffo

As I said, I have only just discovered this thread and so I read the first few pages. I didn't ask for your help.

One positive point, I have ordered the Chailly/Varese disc.

amw

nothing to see here, totally normal back cover, how did I even get to this thread

André

The devil is in the details... >:D

amw

honestly I've always wanted to hear the long-lost minuet to the Prague Symphony as well as the extended, 25-minute version of the finale

Undersea

Well... I personally think this is rather awful but what do you guys say?. :)

71 dB

Quote from: Undersea on February 03, 2018, 12:09:13 AM

Well... I personally think this is rather awful but what do you guys say?. :)

Could be okay if it was Kanye West on the cover, but Wagner? Awful!  :-X
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Undersea

Quote from: 71 dB on February 03, 2018, 01:09:48 AM
Could be okay if it was Kanye West on the cover, but Wagner? Awful!  :-X

Lol, yeah, I don't get it...
(it says on the Amazon blurb for the Disc that the image is by Dutch Artist Erwin Olaf).

Jo498

The swan makes a nice contrast and a "ghetto kid" seems a reasonable parallel to the "pure fool" Parsifal. Anyway, the others from this series are actually worse:

[asin]B0000064X1[/asin] [asin]B0000064X2[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal