Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Madiel

Quote from: 71 dB on December 27, 2018, 02:03:32 AM
That must be the most comical cover art I have ever seen.

Which was exactly the intention of the person who created it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

TheGSMoeller

Could've been a poster for a late-night Cinemax movie from 20 years ago...

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 16, 2019, 08:17:01 PM
Could've been a poster for a late-night Cinemax movie from 20 years ago...

I thought it was the British heavy metal band UFO, and the Michael mentioned on the cover was the band's guitarist Michael Schenker.

NikF

Regardless of time/money budget or circumstances, artistic demands, considerations given to all substrates potentially being used, and no matter who shot it, it's a terrible, terrible thing. Even the swan looks embarrassed. And the irony is, there's an unintentional better job of disguising that swan's beak (via posing it foreshortened) than the clumsy method of hiding Khatia's nose behind her hair.

For what it's worth, I'd have flattened everything with a combo of low lighting ratio and long focal length and quickly got the shot. And then taken her for a drink. That's not a joke. 8) Although if George is reading this, then yes, it's entirely dependant on her not having rollerskates hidden under that dress.  ;D

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

JBS

Quote from: NikF on January 20, 2019, 04:23:19 PM

Regardless of time/money budget or circumstances, artistic demands, considerations given to all substrates potentially being used, and no matter who shot it, it's a terrible, terrible thing. Even the swan looks embarrassed. And the irony is, there's an unintentional better job of disguising that swan's beak (via posing it foreshortened) than the clumsy method of hiding Khatia's nose behind her hair.

For what it's worth, I'd have flattened everything with a combo of low lighting ratio and long focal length and quickly got the shot. And then taken her for a drink. That's not a joke. 8) Although if George is reading this, then yes, it's entirely dependant on her not having rollerskates hidden under that dress.  ;D

I see that kind of image and wonder who exactly plays a piano in the middle of the woods.

My problem with cover is a different one.  My first impulse was to think either the composer or the pianist was someone named Lisztkhatia. My second impulse was to think Lisztkhatia was the name of a work by the hitherto unknown composer Franz  Buniatishvili. Only on the third try did my brain correctly unscramble composer and performer names.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

NikF

Quote from: JBS on January 20, 2019, 04:42:17 PM
I see that kind of image and wonder who exactly plays a piano in the middle of the woods.

My problem with cover is a different one.  My first impulse was to think either the composer or the pianist was someone named Lisztkhatia. My second impulse was to think Lisztkhatia was the name of a work by the hitherto unknown composer Franz  Buniatishvili. Only on the third try did my brain correctly unscramble composer and performer names.

Yeah, and I know people complain about time and money being a pressure, but there's a reason good pros from different fields can both make the time and then make the most of that time so everything comes together to the standard required.
And that particular font would be better suited if she was playing in a warehouse while surrounded by wooden packing crates, because then it would at worst be a particularly obvious cliche to employ.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: George on January 20, 2019, 06:58:42 PM
;D :D ;D

And I would be mighty jealous of you, for I do have a sizable crush on her.

She's very womanly indeed. Even allowing for the fact she's probably been performing in public from a young age and also taking into account any media training, she always gives the impression she's completely comfortable with herself - including sashaying to the piano stool with an easy provocative charm - and that's so attractive in itself. And if it puts a roof over her head, food on her table, and exposes people to music perhaps otherwise inaccessible to them, then more power to her.  8)

Peter Power Pop

Maybe the original poster deleted it, but I couldn't see what you folks had been talking for the last five posts. (I've added them below for context.)

It took a bit of searching, but this is what you're talking about:

Quote from: NikF on January 20, 2019, 04:23:19 PMRegardless of time/money budget or circumstances, artistic demands, considerations given to all substrates potentially being used, and no matter who shot it, it's a terrible, terrible thing. Even the swan looks embarrassed. And the irony is, there's an unintentional better job of disguising that swan's beak (via posing it foreshortened) than the clumsy method of hiding Khatia's nose behind her hair.

Quote from: JBS on January 20, 2019, 04:42:17 PM

Quote from: NikF on January 20, 2019, 04:54:13 PM
Yeah, and I know people complain about time and money being a pressure, but there's a reason good pros from different fields can both make the time and then make the most of that time so everything comes together to the standard required.
And that particular font would be better suited if she was playing in a warehouse while surrounded by wooden packing crates, because then it would at worst be a particularly obvious cliche to employ.

Quote from: George on January 20, 2019, 06:58:42 PM
;D :D ;D

And I would be mighty jealous of you, for I do have a sizable crush on her.

Quote from: NikF on January 20, 2019, 07:20:04 PM
She's very womanly indeed. Even allowing for the fact she's probably been performing in public from a young age and also taking into account any media training, she always gives the impression she's completely comfortable with herself - including sashaying to the piano stool with an easy provocative charm - and that's so attractive in itself. And if it puts a roof over her head, food on her table, and exposes people to music perhaps otherwise inaccessible to them, then more power to her.  8)

NikF

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on January 20, 2019, 07:45:41 PM
Maybe the original poster deleted it, but I couldn't find what you folks had been talking for the last five posts. (I've added them below for context.)

It took a bit of searching, but this is what you're talking about:

Cheers, mate. I didn't delete it (well, not on purpose) but postimages.org defaults to 24 hour expirations sometimes. And thanks for the repost.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: NikF on January 20, 2019, 07:50:11 PM
Cheers, mate. I didn't delete it (well, not on purpose) but postimages.org defaults to 24 hour expirations sometimes. And thanks for the repost.

No problem.

By the way, if you join up with Postimage.org your images will stay there.

NikF

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on January 20, 2019, 07:54:30 PM
No problem.

By the way, if you join up with Postimage.org your images will stay there.

Cool. I'd no idea. Thanks again.  :)

Peter Power Pop

PerfectWagnerite

How about any cd cover with a picture of Nigel Kennedy:

The guy just looks freaky.

vandermolen

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on April 02, 2019, 04:16:55 PM
I just saw this over at the George Lloyd thread:

Yes, it's pretty bad I agree. Coincidentally I've just been playing the CD with great pleasure.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

This is an old favourite but worth a reappearance I think.
A Prophet straight out of Monty Python's 'Life of Brian':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 03, 2019, 12:43:32 AM
A Prophet straight out of Monty Python's 'Life of Brian':

Of course! I recall him prophesizing: "there shall, in that time, be rumors of things going astray, errrrm, and there shall be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things. At this time, the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock. Yea, it is written in the book of Cyril ...".  :D
https://www.youtube.com/v/QqaQ_Bhgmrc
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Brian

I'm not saying I dislike the image (I see you, IKEA lamp), but it doesn't make a damn lick of sense.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Brian on April 12, 2019, 06:18:46 AM
I'm not saying I dislike the image (I see you, IKEA lamp), but it doesn't make a damn lick of sense.

Nice ! Did the booklet give credit as to who they belong to?

ritter

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 12, 2019, 06:46:17 AM
Nice ! Did the booklet give credit as to who they belong to?
It stats Clara Haskil in tiny print.... :D