Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Mookalafalas on August 31, 2019, 04:52:52 AM
Hmmm. Birth, fecundity, beauty springing forth from the seed...sprouting potato? Something not quite working here.

I want to call Bach "Spud Boy" from now on.

SimonNZ

perhaps I should repost my current listening here:

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 31, 2019, 04:15:41 PM

a curious cover not just for a DHM disc but for one subtitled "The English Consort In Two Parts 1640-1680"

I think it really has more of a Frank Zappa vibe to it

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: geralmar on September 16, 2019, 10:16:30 AM

Oh dear.

Quote from: geralmar on September 16, 2019, 10:16:30 AMBernstein's 1958 recording with the New York Philharmonic was superior-- plus it had a better jacket illustration:

Yep.

Jo498

I prefer the one with Stravinsky's head!
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

Quote from: geralmar on September 16, 2019, 10:16:30 AM

I think this is good. Definitely not something I would call "worst looking artwork"...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

JBS

Well, the LSO cover does make it seem as if the sacrifice is being made to the Great God Igor!

There's also the oddity that the line of elders emerging from the forest on the right look like a group of Chasidic rabbis.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

j winter

Quote from: 71 dB on September 17, 2019, 04:19:25 AM
I think this is good. Definitely not something I would call "worst looking artwork"...

Yeah, it's more odd than bad.  Some of those 70's LP covers were very odd... I was recently ripping a Leopold Stokowski set to mp3, and came across the cover art for his (awesome) Mahler 2:

It doesn't offend me or anything, but I am a bit confused....

Edit:  Here's another picture, apologies, they're both pretty poor quality...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Madiel

To me it would be far better without the head. I can only think it was done in an era where Stravinsky was sufficiently famous and recognisable that they thought having an image of Stravinsky would enhance sales.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Peter Power Pop

JBS

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 17, 2019, 03:12:10 PM
Try this (from Discogs):

The figures from Michelangelo's Last Judgment fit. But I have no idea of what that sculpted head is supposed to mean. It may be one of Michelangelo's unfinished statues...there are several of them, after all. And I have no idea of what that thing in front of the sculpted head is.  A misshaped banana?

KevinP

It's intriguing. I don't dislike it.
Two thoughts:
(1) Although the art style is very different, what popped immediately into my mind was the Yellow Submarine movie.
(2) I actually thought that was Gandhi.

71 dB

Quote from: Madiel on September 17, 2019, 02:23:32 PM
To me it would be far better without the head. I can only think it was done in an era where Stravinsky was sufficiently famous and recognisable that they thought having an image of Stravinsky would enhance sales.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Ken B

Quote from: 71 dB on September 18, 2019, 02:06:31 PM

Rousseau paintings have been used the ROS frequently. Just an extra head. Pedestrian IMO but not bad.

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: Todd on September 18, 2019, 06:38:22 PM

It actually is not a bad concept...but didn't anyone remember that because of the, er, surgical operation Signor Farinelli underwent as a youth, he would have been unable to grow a beard?

Ken B

Quote from: JBS on September 18, 2019, 07:00:13 PM
It actually is not a bad concept...but didn't anyone remember that because of the, er, surgical operation Signor Farinelli underwent as a youth, he would have been unable to grow a beard?

It's really very strange. It certainly is an ugly cover. And as you say objectively a beard is *exactly* wrong. And yet it somehow fits Farinelli, and I understood the concept instantly.

geralmar

Although it is hardly a "worst" cover, I never liked the 1960 album cover for the Ormandy Carmina Burana.  It looked to me like the artist arbitrarily clipped pictures from various magazines then sloppily glued them to a canvas:

Nevertheless it was infinitely superior to the 1981 reissue, when the recording was relegated to just another in Columbia's line of hideous "newspaper" themed bargain records:

I had (and still have) a number of these L.P.s and it was very difficult to distinguish one record from another without studying the jacket cover.  Very annoying when attempting to quickly locate a particular album in the series.

Ken B

Quote from: geralmar on September 18, 2019, 08:06:48 PM
Except that is NOT Cecilia Bartoli.
Then human cloning is more advanced than I knew! Or are you suggesting it is really Farinelli?