Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on April 10, 2014, 04:39:38 PMCool thread!

Not really anything funny about this one, but I always thought that this Reich album was particularly ugly (there are so many really pretty pictures of the desert, yet they pick one that looks like a landfill). The music, however, is sublime.

And, of course, the first of the Ligeti Project series has the composer in a pose that looks like he could be an actor for an Advil commercial.

These two are in your opinion worse than anything else you've seen, and didn't see in this thread?? They aren't exactly perfect, but with this and one of the Harnoncourt classics on the same page...

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 22, 2014, 07:08:07 PM
Noticed this in the used CD store tonight.  Downright scary if you ask me

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

Quote from: amw on February 08, 2014, 12:26:21 PM

Jazz Hands!!

Quote from: Pat B on February 10, 2014, 11:27:24 AM

I have seen some good covers with printed music... Not so many with blank staves decorated with gold and silver stars.

Looks like spoogem yeeeck!!

Brahmsian

Not necessarily the artwork, but just the layout of the Hallé label recordings are confusing to me.

Took me awhile to realize that Hallé is:

*Not the name of the composer
*Not the name of the conductor
*Not the name of the performer
*Not the name of the ensemble

;D

That is just me.  Just doesn't 'fit' my eye, it seems.  :-\

kishnevi

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 11, 2014, 11:44:20 AM
Not necessarily the artwork, but just the layout of the Hallé label recordings are confusing to me.

;D

That is just me.  Just doesn't 'fit' my eye, it seems.  :-\

In fact it is the name of the ensemble, the Halle Orchestra from Manchester---Barbarolli's old outfit.  They have been releasing on their own label for a number of years, possibly one of the first to get in on the game, and also in my experience among the best in overall level of performance.

Brian

This is among the worst I have ever seen. It's like the real image they wanted to use malfunctioned and nobody noticed the error. And to make matters worse, the artwork is grainy and pixellated, like they've blown it up from its original size.

If I were the artists, I'd be angry.

Ken B

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 11, 2014, 11:44:20 AM

;D

Took me a while to realize that about Deutsche Grammophon too.

;)

North Star

Quote from: Brian on April 11, 2014, 12:36:03 PM
This is among the worst I have ever seen. It's like the real image they wanted to use malfunctioned and nobody noticed the error. And to make matters worse, the artwork is grainy and pixellated, like they've blown it up from its original size.

Hey, it's a genuine Penelope Umbrico!

00GAWJ-29604784.jpg, 2009-2010
C-print on Fuji metallic paper
30 x 40 inches

(and yes, it is hideous - and I like abstract/scientific [pseudo or not] art)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on April 11, 2014, 12:36:03 PM

If I were the artist I'd be snickering that I actually sold it.

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on April 11, 2014, 04:39:41 PM
If I were the artist I'd be snickering that I actually sold it.
Oh, definitely (I meant the musicians).

By the way, I love this one:

EigenUser

Quote from: Brian on April 11, 2014, 04:45:34 PM

Not sure if this should be here... or in the adjacent thread for best cover art...  :-\
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Madiel

Mmmm... Mahogany. Tasty, tasty mahogany.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

kishnevi

This image raises the question:  does one serve white wine or red wine with a recorder?

Madiel

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 11, 2014, 07:09:58 PM
This image raises the question:  does one serve white wine or red wine with a recorder?

That's easy. White with the light-coloured ones, red with the dark-coloured ones.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

TheGSMoeller

What a pretentious album-cover hog.

Justin

Justin

Madiel

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 11, 2014, 07:28:14 PM
What a pretentious album-cover hog.

That would make sense if it's one of a series of recordings. Otherwise, seems odd.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: orfeo on April 11, 2014, 07:53:48 PM
That would make sense if it's one of a series of recordings. Otherwise, seems odd.

Bingo!

amw

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 11, 2014, 08:00:32 PM
Bingo!

I'm disappointed that DG photoshopped the mirror and iPhone out of a perfectly good selfie.

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach