Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Ken B on September 13, 2014, 04:38:06 PM
So you sought out the version where she's clothed?

Nope.

I bought it because it was the first Ofra Harnoy CD I ever saw (in the late '80s, in an ad in Gramophone magazine). When I saw that cover I thought, "Yes please." The next thing I knew, I was at my favourite record store and saying to the chap behind the counter, "Would you mind ordering this CD?"

Incidentally, that ended up being the only Ofra Harnoy CD I ever bought.

Peter Power Pop

Leaving aside Paavo and the Smurfs for a moment, I want to mention a cover I saw when I went a-searchin' for "worst classical music album covers".

I find this baffling:

What???

snyprrr

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 13, 2014, 05:40:33 PM
Leaving aside Paavo and the Smurfs for a moment, I want to mention a cover I saw when I went a-searchin' for "worst classical music album covers".

I find this baffling:

What???

If that's not Classic, what is? We've been living in this hell for 75 years!! 'Miley Cyrus Sings Schumann', donchano?

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: snyprrr on September 13, 2014, 06:12:15 PM
If that's not Classic, what is? We've been living in this hell for 75 years!! 'Miley Cyrus Sings Schumann', donchano?

Unfortunately, snyprrr, your comment is a little too cryptic for me. I don't know what it has to with the photo of Brahms's breakfast.

Brian

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 13, 2014, 08:45:01 PM
Unfortunately, snyprrr, your comment is a little too cryptic for me. I don't know what it has to with the photo of Brahms's breakfast.
snyprrr has an unusual way of expressing himself.

Peter Power Pop

Ken B

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 13, 2014, 08:45:01 PM
If you understand snyprrr, worry.
8)

Peter Power Pop

Madiel

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 12, 2014, 08:32:45 PM
Why do photographers get musicians to do that (i.e., look wistfully in no particular direction) on album covers?

Because the music-buying public get nervous if everyone looks them straight in the eye. Much like some wild animals.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 13, 2014, 04:31:13 PM
By the way, when I saw your full name I was immediately reminded of a certain song by XTC. Are you two related in any way?

get the expert, at kissing and stuff
he stays easy, when things get rough

Yeah, that's me   8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 13, 2014, 04:43:52 PM

There are a few of us here who like her Vivaldi...and not just for the cover art  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brahmsian

Quote from: Ken B on September 13, 2014, 09:26:58 PM
If you understand snyprrr, worry.
8)

:D :D :D :D

This may just be true!  8)

We love ya Snypps!  :-*

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 14, 2014, 07:52:17 AM
There are a few of us here who like her Vivaldi...and not just for the cover art  ;)

Sarge

Oh dear. That photo doesn't have much to do with music, does it?

The musician in me is thinking two things:

1. How can Ofra play with her hand so far away from the fingerboard?
2. How can she play with all that hair getting caught in the strings?

The non-musician in me is thinking:

1. Who's idea was it to go with the "wench" look?

The musician in me just thought of one more thing: Maybe Ofra, in her olde worlde clothing, has been transported back to Vivaldi's time, and is portraying one of Vivaldi's orphanage girls.

Who knows?

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 13, 2014, 04:31:13 PM

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 13, 2014, 04:43:52 PM
Nope.

I bought it because it was the first Ofra Harnoy CD I ever saw (in the late '80s, in an ad in Gramophone magazine). When I saw that cover I thought, "Yes please." The next thing I knew, I was at my favourite record store and saying to the chap behind the counter, "Would you mind ordering this CD?"

I've just realised I'm a total and utter liar.

A few hours after I posted the above reminiscence it dawned on me that I had remembered incorrectly.

I don't have one Ofra Harnoy CD, I have two. And the CD with Ofra wearing the green jumper wasn't the first Ofra Harnoy CD I ever bought either.

This is what actually happened:

I read a review of Ofra Harnoy's 1985 disc of Haydn Cello Concertos in an issue of Gramophone magazine. The reviewer liked it, and I thought I might like it too, so I ordered it from my friendly record store owner.

It must have been some time later that I bought the Brahms Cello Sonatas CD (it was released in 1986). I probably saw it somewhere and thought, "Ah, that's Ofra Harnoy. I have her Haydn Cello Concertos CD, and I like it. I'll probably like this Brahms one too."

So, to set the record straight (pun definitely not intended), this was the first Ofra Harnoy CD I ever bought:

All of the above will be uninteresting to anyone but me. But I just wanted to straighten things out, and let you know that, thanks to my dodgy memory, I'm occasionally a total and utter liar.

Peter Power Pop

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 14, 2014, 04:39:03 PM
Speaking of baffling:

Huh?
Now this is the type of album cover that might get my purchase.  ;D

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 14, 2014, 04:39:03 PM

Quote from: Greg on September 14, 2014, 04:47:19 PM
Now this is the type of album cover that might get my purchase.  ;D

It's one of my favourite versions of the Brandenburgs, but I'm totally mystified by that cover.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 14, 2014, 05:14:53 PM
It's one of my favourite versions of the Brandenburgs, but I'm totally mystified by that cover.
That is the appeal to me. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. There's just no trying to figure out how it relates to the music, because there is no relation. A picture of a spaceship would almost make more sense because it has equally nothing to do with the music, yet it is a familiar image. Not only does this picture have nothing to do with the music, but the image of a deer in a parking garage is unfamiliar to the vast majority of people.

Even the Brahms CD with the breakfast picture makes more sense than this. You could listen to a Brahms CD while eating breakfast. You probably aren't going to be listening to Bach while looking at a deer in a parking garage.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Greg on September 14, 2014, 06:32:59 PM
That is the appeal to me. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. There's just no trying to figure out how it relates to the music, because there is no relation. A picture of a spaceship would almost make more sense because it has equally nothing to do with the music, yet it is a familiar image. Not only does this picture have nothing to do with the music, but the image of a deer in a parking garage is unfamiliar to the vast majority of people.

Even the Brahms CD with the breakfast picture makes more sense than this. You could listen to a Brahms CD while eating breakfast. You probably aren't going to be listening to Bach while looking at a deer in a parking garage.

No sir. And thanks for making me laugh out loud.