Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: North Star on June 05, 2015, 05:25:16 PM
The way Shifrin is surrounded by the text is a bit disturbing, but still this is an improvement. Smaller font for 'Clarinet Concerto', ditch Copland's first name, find a decent photo of the two artists and it's approaching a decent cover ;D

How's this?

Artem

Quote from: EigenUser on June 05, 2015, 02:08:32 AM
[asin]B000001G4S[/asin]
It looks like she's channeling Clara Schuman's mood or look, exhausted but still going on. It's not too bad. Was that photo take while she was playing?

North Star

As good as it will be without changing the photo. :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Artem on June 05, 2015, 06:52:58 PM

It looks like she's channeling Clara Schuman's mood or look, exhausted but still going on. It's not too bad. Was that photo take while she was playing?

Quote from: North Star on June 05, 2015, 07:11:37 PM
As good as it will be without changing the photo. :)

I'm not especially keen on that extended arm.

I prefer this:

North Star

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 05, 2015, 08:46:49 PM
I'm not especially keen on that extended arm.
I see I left out the quotation - I was referring to your commendable efforts with the Copland cover.

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on June 05, 2015, 02:08:32 AM
Stop ruining our fun!
I disagree. It is horrible, but at least they were trying to be "artsy". This, however, there is just no excuse for:
[asin]B000001G4S[/asin]
Most of these are screwed up due to some poor or over-creative graphic designer, but this is the opposite.

Don't donate this one to the suicide prevention clinic. Zowie.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: North Star on June 05, 2015, 08:50:45 PM
I see I left out the quotation - I was referring to your commendable efforts with the Copland cover.

Thanks.

I like the two chappies (a.k.a. "Dave 'n' Ger") on the Copland cover. They look like they enjoyed each other's company during the photo shoot. As opposed to a glum Martha Argerich all on her own in a room with no decor.

Fun:

Not Fun:

Madiel

Copland is no longer associated with the disco era, I see. Or the movie "Flashdance".
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: orfeo on June 05, 2015, 10:15:09 PM
Copland is no longer associated with the disco era, I see. Or the movie "Flashdance".

I'm afraid both of those comments were too cryptic for me. (Either that or I'm too obtuse to understand the references.)

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on June 06, 2015, 12:03:16 AM
Hmmmm....

I can't really imagine a violinist lying on the floor in formal wear with his violin. But I don't know if it really deserves to be in this thread.

Quote from: amw on April 11, 2015, 02:44:37 AM
The entire Crumb series is like that. I think he must have pissed off a graphic designer somewhere.

My photographs on Flickr

Madiel

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 05, 2015, 11:14:37 PM
I'm afraid both of those comments were too cryptic for me. (Either that or I'm too obtuse to understand the references.)

The pink writing on the original seemed rather disco to me.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

I don't know if we had this (not going through 100 pages) but they look extremely uncomfortable.

[asin]B00004YZ35[/asin]

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: North Star on June 06, 2015, 12:25:01 AM
I can't really imagine a violinist lying on the floor in formal wear with his violin. But I don't know if it really deserves to be in this thread.

Lying down? In formal wear? And looking like he's about to lick his bow?

That easily fits in the "Worst looking CD/LP artwork" category for me.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: orfeo on June 05, 2015, 10:15:09 PM

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 05, 2015, 11:14:37 PM

Quote from: orfeo on June 06, 2015, 12:41:30 AM
The pink writing on the original seemed rather disco to me.

Now I know where you're comin' from. Thanks for clarifying.

North Star

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 06, 2015, 02:46:51 AM
Lying down? In formal wear? And looking like he's about to lick his bow?

That easily fits in the "Worst looking CD/LP artwork" category for me.

Well alright. I know how to fix it: replace Shaham with Hilary Hahn, Alina Ibragimova or Julia Fischer.  0:)

My photographs on Flickr

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Jo498 on June 06, 2015, 12:57:06 AM
I don't know if we had this (not going through 100 pages) but they look extremely uncomfortable.

[asin]B00004YZ35[/asin]

I'm pretty sure it hasn't appeared on this thread before.

Those two sure look shifty. It looks to me like they're standing outside the principal's office after being caught earlier doing something they should'na ought'a.

The new erato

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 06, 2015, 02:57:39 AM

Those two sure look shifty. It looks to me like they're standing outside the principal's office after being caught earlier doing something they should'na ought'a.
That would be Kozena with Simon Rattle, not Minkowski.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: North Star on June 06, 2015, 02:56:30 AM
Well alright. I know how to fix it: replace Shaham with Hilary Hahn, Alina Ibragimova or Julia Fischer.  0:)

Not me. I'd rather see conductor Giuseppe Sinopoli standing next to Gil, extending a hand and saying, "Here, let me help you up."

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: The new erato on June 06, 2015, 02:59:37 AM
That would be Kozena with Simon Rattle, not Minkowski.

Maybe Simon caught them sneaking a cigarette*, and shouted in dismay, "Magdaléna! What's that cigarette going to do to your voice??? And Marc! Giving her that cigarette! Bad boy!"

(*Which reminds me of a joke told by the singer of a band I was once in: "Hey, my band is so poor that when I first met them backstage in a run-down dive they were all sharing the same cigarette. I said to them, 'What kind of a joint's this?' ."