Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Moonfish on June 09, 2015, 03:56:51 PM
By the way, which label released that album? Bearato?       :P

I don't know why, but that one gave me my biggest laugh.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 09, 2015, 03:22:54 PM
Maybe I should have rephrased that and said "Any light-hearted suggestions?".

Hard to say. The whole thing (image, text) is pretty depressive. And when it's not being depressive it's oppressive. And when not oppressive it's suffocating. The only thing missing is the Reaper swooping in.

BUT...

...there's the "bear" peering in. Almost like a guardian angel. Y'know, the more I look at it the more the bear resembles a teddy bear. A guardian teddy bear? 

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 09, 2015, 03:22:54 PM
Maybe I should have rephrased that and said "Any light-hearted suggestions?".

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on June 09, 2015, 04:20:13 PM
Hard to say. The whole thing (image, text) is pretty depressive. And when it's not being depressive it's oppressive. And when not oppressive it's suffocating. The only thing missing is the Reaper swooping in.

Yep. That's why I want to mess about with that cover and lighten things up. (Courtesy of how my brain is wired, I have an inability take anything seriously, which makes it difficult for me to look at that cover with any kind of solemnity – especially when there's a pun and a bear at the top of the cover.)

I've tried adding a party hat, balloons, streamers etc. to the man on the cover, but none of it has looked right. I might have to remove him altogether, and put something (or someone) else in his place.

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on June 09, 2015, 04:20:13 PMBUT...

...there's the "bear" peering in. Almost like a guardian angel. Y'know, the more I look at it the more the bear resembles a teddy bear. A guardian teddy bear?

I can see the man holding a teddy bear to help comfort him, but that would probably make the cover even sadder. Hang on, let's try that...

Yep. Even sadder.

Madiel

You're trying to lighten up an album called "Classics for Funerals". Quit while you're only slightly behind!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Moonfish

He can hold a scythe in his hand....
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Moonfish on June 10, 2015, 10:52:29 AM
He can hold a scythe in his hand....

Or have the Grim Reaper standing next to him, touching him on the shoulder.

kishnevi

Started listening to this set tonight, and somewhat puzzled by the cover image.

Photography credit is given to konradbak.

Original seems to be a stock photo, and is included here
.http://www.onextrapixel.com/2012/02/27/a-cut-above-20-exceptionally-creative-stock-photos/
But what was Capriccio saying....Sergei's music is dark and stormy?  Full of statues?  Graphic designers too lazy to come up with something original?

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 10, 2015, 05:49:54 PM
Started listening to this set tonight, and somewhat puzzled by the cover image.

Photography credit is given to konradbak.

Original seems to be a stock photo, and is included here
.http://www.onextrapixel.com/2012/02/27/a-cut-above-20-exceptionally-creative-stock-photos/
But what was Capriccio saying....Sergei's music is dark and stormy?  Full of statues?  Graphic designers too lazy to come up with something original?

Maybe they thought the hat on the person on the right was a helmet from World War I, and associated Prokofiev's symphonies with war – or something. But the umbrella on the left isn't particular warlike (unless the person holding the umbrella thought, "That'll protect me from those bombs"). So I don't know why the graphic designer chose that particular image to represent Prokofiev's symphonies. Maybe it was drugs. Or it could be drugs. I think it might be drugs.

Thanks for the link to the image, Jeffrey. Here 'tis for anyone not interested in clicking on the link to it:

The original image is available here.

Peter Power Pop

I found this over at the "What are you listening to now?" thread:

So, the next time you're in the mood for some Bruckner "reloaded", you know where to go. (And not forgetting, "*NEW FINALE!")

Thanks, TheGSMoeller, for unearthing that particular image.

North Star

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 11, 2015, 02:56:28 AMThanks, TheGSMoeller, for unearthing that particular image.
Thanks indeed.  0:)  >:D

Bruckner Reloaded*? I wonder what that asterisk refers to, '*not really'?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Madiel

Close the thread, the winner has been found.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

NikF

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 11, 2015, 02:56:28 AM
I found this over at the "What are you listening to now?" thread:

So, the next time you're in the mood for some Bruckner "reloaded", you know where to go. (And not forgetting, "*NEW FINALE!")

Thanks, TheGSMoeller, for unearthing that particular image.

Of the myriad horrors on show within that cover in a way it's probably relatively inoffensive. However...you see the way his nose is breaking the line of his cheekbone? If you take a photo of someone, don't do that. Alternatively, do do it if you want to spoil what can be a nice line for most faces and/or you're taking revenge on the person by giving the impression they have a huge hooter.
And now I will try to forget all about what I've just seen.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on June 11, 2015, 03:00:42 AM
Thanks indeed.  0:)  >:D

Bruckner Reloaded*? I wonder what that asterisk refers to, '*not really'?

Perhaps it is Marthè that is "reloaded"...?     ;)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

kishnevi

Quote from: NikF on June 11, 2015, 04:26:42 AM
Of the myriad horrors on show within that cover in a way it's probably relatively inoffensive. However...you see the way his nose is breaking the line of his cheekbone? If you take a photo of someone, don't do that. Alternatively, do do it if you want to spoil what can be a nice line for most faces and/or you're taking revenge on the person by giving the impression they have a huge hooter.
And now I will try to forget all about what I've just seen.

Hmmm...given that Bruckner's proboscis is prominent in his profile view, perhaps Marthé was intentionally photographed that way.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 11, 2015, 02:56:28 AM

Of all the noticeable things on that cover (and there are plenty), there's one thing I keep looking at, and I can't get this question out of my head:

Is that statue of Bruckner made entirely out of butter?

André

My question is: why the bleached toupet ??

kishnevi

Quote from: André on June 11, 2015, 03:53:50 PM
My question is: why the bleached toupet ??

It is a reloaded haircut..

ibanezmonster

Quote from: George on June 11, 2015, 04:37:45 PM
No, cheese.  8)
He had a little extra cheese left over after sculpting Bruckner and wanted some of his greatness to rub off on him, so he rubbed it in his hair. Smart man.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Greg on June 11, 2015, 04:59:40 PM
He had a little extra cheese left over after sculpting Bruckner and wanted some of his greatness to rub off on him, so he rubbed it in his hair. Smart man.

That makes sense. But I still think it's butter. It feels like butter to me.

I can imagine the sculptor spending countless hours in a refrigerated room (can't let that butter melt) and getting the details just right. Then the sculptor finished, and declared to no-one in particular: "Behold my Butter Bruckner!"

Peter Power Pop

The graphic designer probably thought he or she was being "arty" by using (what I'm guessing is) the Solarize filter in Photoshop, but to me it looks like the girl on the cover is engulfed in flames:

I want to get a fire extinguisher.