Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abuelo Igor

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 26, 2015, 03:49:14 PM
I have a lot of trouble associating composers with large red dots

With a white background, maybe Takemitsu...
L'enfant, c'est moi.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Brian on June 26, 2015, 08:45:21 AM
Could they have made the text harder to read?

Yep – by closely matching the colour of the text with the colours in the background.

But that's hard enough to read. The largest version of the cover I could find (on Hänssler Classic's website) is a little easier to read, but it's still hard:

Jo498

The cover is not pretty and an incoherent mixture of the flowery script, background ornaments and the dot/arrow graphics, but actually spot on. You will still find slightly similar graphics in German  railway stations pointing to help desks or designated meeting points for tourist groups or so.
Because the Denon sampler is probably catering to "best of classics" listeners it invites them to meet at/with popular classical pieces. So it is ugly but not as stupid or arbitrary as one might have thought.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

kishnevi

Tonight's listening agenda has produced two candidates for this thread.

Why use a stock photo of a statue showing someone throwing a baby off a balcony?

This one should have been easy to remedy.  Do not wait until after the photoshoot to tell your subject he did not shave very well that morning.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 03, 2015, 05:32:54 PM
Tonight's listening agenda has produced two candidates for this thread.

Why use a stock photo of a statue showing someone throwing a baby off a balcony?

I must admit I didn't notice that. I noticed other things. (See following paragraphs.) Having a second look, I think the baby-off-the-balcony thing might actually be a Lion-King thing:

At least I hope it is.

There are three things about the Praetorius cover (not including the baby gettin' chucked off the balcony) that I find bothersome:

1. The font/typeface used for "Praetorius". I think that's wildly inappropriate/anachronistic;

2. The bits of red in the top left and right make me wonder, "Is that lens flare?"; and

3. I think the overall colour scheme is dreary with a capital "D".

As for the other cover...

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 03, 2015, 05:32:54 PM

This one should have been easy to remedy.  Do not wait until after the photoshoot to tell your subject he did not shave very well that morning.

I didn't notice Ivan Fischer's five-o'clock shadow (photographed at five past five).

I like the acute accent in Iván's first name doubling as an "i". I think that's cute. But I don't like how Iván's "I" intrudes on "Festival". Grrr.

The blue-ish box with all the text inside looks like a tattoo to me.

And I'm not a fan of the placement of the logo. To me, its position is wrong, wrong, wrong. Why – apart from "Well, we've always put the logo in that place on our covers" – would anyone willingly put the logo there?

Peter Power Pop

I'd love to be able to say something witty and erudite about this cover, but I can't think of anything.

All I see on this cover is a human being standing in a way that I'd describe as "not terribly natural".

This one's a little better, but Alexandre's pose still looks awkward to me. What is he looking at? Did someone hoist his piano in the air, and he's trying to figure out a way to get it down?

Dancing Divertimentian

I think Tharaud tried to do a little better in this one but it didn't quite work out.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 05, 2015, 09:46:00 PM
I think Tharaud tried to do a little better in this one but it didn't quite work out.

Oh dear.

I like the background location, though. It makes me me want to go see a movie.

Peter Power Pop

Here's the original photo. If you click on it, you'll find yourself basking in all its 6,144 pixels by 4,096 pixels glory:

Peter Power Pop

It seems that poor old Alexandre (or maybe that should be "rich young Alexandre") just can't be photographed decently.

Here he is with a lamp growing out of his head:

Peter Power Pop

And here's a photo of Alexandre competing for attention with a very shiny piano lid. To me, the reflection from the lid makes this photo much busier than it needs to be:

Peter Power Pop

There are two things about this photo:

1. Alexandre appears to be all alone in the theatre. Is the photographer trying to portray Alexander as a lonely boy?

2. He's not even sitting on any of the chairs (all the seats are up).

Peter Power Pop

"Why won't all those photographers leave me alone?"

Peter Power Pop

I just found an alternative front cover for Alexandre's Le Bœuf sur le toit: Swinging Paris album:

I found it here.

Was that the original cover? And if so, why, record company? Why?

Peter Power Pop

And another unhelpful photo of Alexandre:

Don't photographers like him?

snyprrr

He looks like the typical white-guy-with-no-rhythm.... and it's a "swing" album---- oy vey!!!!! Classical guys aren't usually known for their rhythmic freedom----

yes- all the pics are ghastly :( poor guy

Mirror Image

I thought the original cover looked bad enough but this one just takes the cake:

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 05, 2015, 06:46:56 PM
I'd love to be able to say something witty and erudite about this cover, but I can't think of anything.

All I see on this cover is a human being standing in a way that I'd describe as "not terribly natural".

[asin]B00MR4FR8M[/asin]

James

Action is the only truth

EigenUser

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 05, 2015, 10:57:11 PM
And another unhelpful photo of Alexandre:

Don't photographers like him?
My first thought:
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".