Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 07, 2015, 04:46:31 PM
I'm glad I bought the box of Fischer's Bartók:

This cover is a million times better than any of the covers from the original releases and the reissues.

I guess it's one of those "in the eye of the beholder" things, because what I'm beholding is this thought: "Well, I never knew Béla Bartók was a hippy."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 07, 2015, 05:03:13 PM
I guess it's one of those "in the eye of the beholder" things, because what I'm beholding is this thought: "Well, I never knew Béla Bartók was a hippy."

Remember I didn't say I liked it, I just commented that it's better than the original releases' covers. A Hungarian painting of a landscape or villagers dancing would have been more preferable.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 07, 2015, 05:08:18 PM
Remember I didn't say I liked it, I just commented that it's better than the original releases' covers. A Hungarian painting of a landscape or villagers dancing would have been more preferable.

I'd agree with you about that cover being preferrable to the originals. I prefer it mainly because the originals were a bit of a hodgepodge (consistency, people!), and that cover is one cover (not three).

I'm not entirely sure about the idea of a psychedelic Béla Bartók on the cover – but I like the colours.

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

And when all else fails with Tharaud just trot out the "Explicit Lyrics" pop look.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 07, 2015, 06:18:55 PM
And when all else fails with Tharaud just trot out the "Explicit Lyrics" pop look.

Or the "I'm a member of a boy band, but I don't know where the rest of the guys are" look.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 07, 2015, 06:29:49 PM
Or the "I'm a member of a boy band, but I don't know where the rest of the guys are" look.

LOL!

TheGSMoeller

Pat B

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 07, 2015, 05:00:36 PM
Maybe you preferred the covers when they were mind-blowingly, indescribably indescribable, like...

Yes, thank you (and Robot Greg). :)

ibanezmonster

These two are actually really cool. Karajan looks like a badass and that Donald Duck picture would be hilariously appropriate if it were for some Schoenberg.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 07, 2015, 07:18:36 PM

When I noticed what I noticed, I laughed very loudly.

Thank you, GSM.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 07, 2015, 08:12:55 PM
When I noticed what I noticed, I laughed very loudly.

Thank you, GSM.

thank you, Peter;D

Peter Power Pop

Speaking of indescribably indescribable...

Quote from: Greg on July 07, 2015, 08:02:23 PM

These two are actually really cool. Karajan looks like a badass and that Donald Duck picture would be hilariously appropriate if it were for some Schoenberg.

That Karajan cover speaks to me. It says "I'm a jet-settin' rich dude."

As for the other cover:

I find that completely – and wonderfully – mystifying. Did the cover designer go with that particular image because the cellist's last name is Karttunen? (Boom-tish!)

I just had to find out more about this cover, so I went a-looking.

It's a 1974 watercolour by artist Olli Lyytikäinen, and it's called "Donald Duck by a shrink". Olli's work can be found on the website of Waters Löwenhielm, a Swedish brand design company. (I found the image here.) The drawing is on display at the Nordic Watercolour Museum as part of an exhibition entitled "Fleeing Hamlet – In the head of Olle Lyytikäinen."

Madiel

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on July 07, 2015, 05:00:36 PM
They're the first four covers on Classic FM's list of "The worst classical album covers ever".

Some of them are bad because of the concept, not the execution. An album called "Derek Bell plays with himself" is bad even when it appears in a text catalogue. It's not the cover that's the problem.

Your Simon Rattle jazz one, though... yeah, there the imagery is the problem.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brahmsian

:D  It took awhile for me to notice.  Very subtle.  Is Petrenko the new Paavo?  8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 08, 2015, 04:24:06 AM
:D  It took awhile for me to notice.  Very subtle.  Is Petrenko the new Paavo?  8)

Hah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 08, 2015, 04:24:06 AM

I hope so.

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

TheGSMoeller