What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omicron9

Binged this on Netflix:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9078908/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Well-done and eye-openingly informative about California's cannabis industry.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

SimonNZ

Enjoyed this and sorry to see it got cancelled after only one season

Ciaccona

A few episodes into this one:

Liking it so far...

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Sef on February 08, 2019, 12:14:52 PM
Russian Doll

Thoroughly enjoyed binge watching this. Not exactly an original concept, but if you start then be prepared to finish it.

I've been watching it (one episode a night is as close to a binge as I get). Down to the last episode. No idea how they are going to tie this up. :)

Karl Henning

I'm diligently (at last) watching through The Larry Sanders Show, love it
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 26, 2019, 01:36:26 PM

Does this font make my ass look big?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

TheGSMoeller

Amazingly entertaining. Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer are the best TV-duo right now.

NikF4

Karaoke (1996) written by Dennis Potter.

Despite a growing physical pain in his stomach a screenwriter completes a piece called 'Karaoke' in which a young woman is murdered by a gangster. He then finds an increasing emotional pain as real life events seem to start mirroring the story, right down to encountering people speaking the lines he wrote.

Other stuff -
Melvyn Bragg conducted an interview with the then terminally ill Potter and between sips from a hip flask containing a blend of champagne and morphine the playwright asked "Where will the writers who want to tell stories about life as it truly is, beneath the hype and glitter, get their opportunity as I did in the 1960's, in the current world of Rupert Murdoch sensibilities?" I believe the point is that he had no option, that he managed to do it in the midst of 'life as it truly is' and before the existence of the digital vanity press where you get to decide what you are before you actually become it.

Anyway, the cast itself is interesting enough and apart from Albert Finney there's Richard E. Grant, Roy Hudd, Hywel Bennett, Liz Smith, Ian McDiarmid, Alison Steadman, Julie Christie, Saffron Burrows and Keely Hawes. Watch the other part of the pair - Cold Lazarus - and add Ciaran Hinds, Diane Ladd and Max Wall(!) to that.

Next up will be a rewatch for me/first watch for others of The Beiderbecke Trilogy (1984-88) written by Alan Plater.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 26, 2019, 04:46:18 PM
Amazingly entertaining. Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer are the best TV-duo right now.

Where do you watch that?

Mirror Image

I don't watch a lot of television since so much of it is just junk and of no interest, but I'm about to begin Columbo, which is a series I've been meaning to get around to for years now.

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 26, 2019, 01:36:26 PM

Another show I need to get around to. I own the whole series (the older box set), but I just haven't made the time. Good to see you're enjoying it, Karl.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 26, 2019, 07:41:37 PM
I don't watch a lot of television since so much of it is just junk and of no interest, but I'm about to begin Columbo, which is a series I've been meaning to get around to for years now.
Best episode, the art critic in season 1.

NikF4

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 26, 2019, 07:41:37 PM

You'll find some small gems in there.  8)

Mirror Image

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 26, 2019, 12:05:42 PM
I've been watching it (one episode a night is as close to a binge as I get). Down to the last episode. No idea how they are going to tie this up. :)

Got to the last episode of Russian Doll. They really did tie it up in an interesting way. A fine piece of work. I generally like that the time-loop thing didn't get bogged down in a bunch of pseudoscience nonsense.

Brahmsian

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 26, 2019, 07:04:28 PM
Where do you watch that?

BBC America where I live, but I missed it's original airing so I'm streaming on Hulu.