What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 18, 2019, 04:01:11 AM
Recently:

How is drummer girl? I think that was the last book of his I really enjoyed, except for rereading Cold, but the movie with Diane Keaton was lousy.

If you come across the old Alec Guinness shows based on the Karla books they are excellent.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Ken B on April 19, 2019, 01:20:23 PM
How is drummer girl? I think that was the last book of his I really enjoyed, except for rereading Cold, but the movie with Diane Keaton was lousy.

If you come across the old Alec Guinness shows based on the Karla books they are excellent.

On the whole Drummer Girl was actually very good. I could gripe that they take pains in the first episode to show that its set in the early 80's with design and fashion etc - then promptly seem to forget that, especially the lead actress whose dialogue and delivery and attitude comes from 2018. But, meh, that needn't be a deal-breaker. Its also possible that the oddly mannered performances by those actors playing the Israelis contrasting with the more natural performances by those playing the Palestinians might upset the careful balance just a little for some viewers. I haven't read that book of LeCarre's (or seen the earlier film to compare) but the story seems one of his best, and most politically subtle, and that made the viewing worthwhile - and made me want to check out the novel in the near future.

What was it about the Diane Keaton film that made it so bad?

I remember liking the Alec Guiness Tinker, Taylor when I saw it many years ago,

Ken B

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 19, 2019, 03:03:15 PM
On the whole Drummer Girl was actually very good. I could gripe that they take pains in the first episode to show that its set in the early 80's with design and fashion etc - then promptly seem to forget that, especially the lead actress whose dialogue and delivery and attitude comes from 2018. But, meh, that needn't be a deal-breaker. Its also possible that the oddly mannered performances by those actors playing the Israelis contrasting with the more natural performances by those playing the Palestinians might upset the careful balance just a little for some viewers. I haven't read that book of LeCarre's (or seen the earlier film to compare) but the story seems one of his best, and most politically subtle, and that made the viewing worthwhile - and made me want to check out the novel in the near future.

What was it about the Diane Keaton film that made it so bad?

I remember liking the Alec Guiness Tinker, Taylor when I saw it many years ago,
I really cannot recall. Maybe Diane Keaton, who is often bad. But I recall it being slow.

Karl Henning

A big thank-you to George & Ken, as I've just finished up The Larry Sanders Show...
"Looks like they settled out of court."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 20, 2019, 06:25:39 PM
A big thank-you to George & Ken, as I've just finished up The Larry Sanders Show...
"Looks like they settled out of court."

Glad you enjoyed it, Karl!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

SimonNZ

Excellent. A model of how well sci-fi can be done without any reliance on special effects but just strong script and acting.

J.K.Simmons plays his two roles distinctively and perfectly.

George

Introverted

Lately:

[asin]B07N3RHGST[/asin]

Funny... I like this so far. :D

SimonNZ

enjoyed A Discovery Of Witches way more than I expected to, the strong cast and Oxford / Bodelian / Venetian settings making up any shortfalls in the story and script

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

No one watching Game of Thrones? Well, I'm not either, don't get HBO. I'll presumably find a way to watch it when the final season is done and it is released on disc, Amazon Prime Video, iTunes, etc. But I've been reading the episode reviews as the new season appears (not afraid of spoilers). Seems like they are in a big rush to finish it up and be done with it.

Sef

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 10, 2019, 01:06:03 PM
No one watching Game of Thrones? Well, I'm not either, don't get HBO. I'll presumably find a way to watch it when the final season is done and it is released on disc, Amazon Prime Video, iTunes, etc. But I've been reading the episode reviews as the new season appears (not afraid of spoilers). Seems like they are in a big rush to finish it up and be done with it.
I am - not the latest series (yet), but in response to "finding a way" may I recommend your local public library? I'm finishing up series 3 right now (and thoroughly enjoying it by the way) and going at an average rate of 2 episodes a day. I should finish by the end of the month, but have to admit I will have to get creative to watch the latest series before it comes out on DVD!
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I'm also re-watching and up to the last two episodes of season 3. The storytelling was better when they had the books to base the screenplays on.

When the original seasons came out I wasn't so much into streaming video and ended up getting the Blu Ray releases. Not sure I will follow up for this last season. Maybe I'll subscribe for a month of the HBO channel on Amazon Prime Video and watch them. Squeezing them all into the 7 day free trial seems difficult.

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 10, 2019, 01:06:03 PM
After I catch up with all the reruns on the paint drying channel.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Moone Boy-- a very offbeat but hilarious Hulu comedy about an 11 year-old Irish boy and his imaginary (45 year old!) friend.

A Cook's Tour Anthony Bourdain.  We saw most of the ones in this series many years ago, but it is fun to catch up on them again.

Newhart Bought the DVDs of season two--am waiting for Larry, Darrell, and Darrell to show up !

Also, we stopped watching The Sopranos a while ago (finished the series), but I am experiencing a bit of withdrawl, so am watching various "Tony Raging" compilations on YouTube.

Absolutely zero interest in Game of Thrones.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

George

Just started this tonight and its good. Funny, dark, touching, complex.

Todd

Quote from: George on May 10, 2019, 07:05:28 PM

Just started this tonight and its good. Funny, dark, touching, complex.

I've watched about half of the series.  The central premise of the show is so detached from reality and perverse that it is hard to suspend disbelief, but the actresses are both game and do good work, so the show is easy enough to enjoy. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

Quote from: Todd on May 11, 2019, 04:26:34 AM

I've watched about half of the series.  The central premise of the show is so detached from reality and perverse that it is hard to suspend disbelief, but the actresses are both game and do good work, so the show is easy enough to enjoy.

Agreed. I also think they should lean more in the comedy/drama direction, as it seems to stray too far from the comedy aspect. Especially because the comedy is quite good here.