What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on June 04, 2020, 02:07:48 AM
It's OTT but great fun IMO PD, especially when the scheming members of the orchestra glue together the pages of the new conductor's score of Beethoven's 'Pastoral Symphony' just before a concert!
Ooooh!  Mean!
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 04, 2020, 06:57:28 AM
Ooooh!  Mean!
I can now download the remaining episodes, so hoping to watch one or two tonight.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

stingo

Finished Russian Doll and Space Force. Both of which were pleasant surprises.

milk

Victorian Slum house. 
This was a really informative and interesting reality series. It's just so darn depressing. Life was miserable in those times (I'm sure they still are, depending where you live in the world).

Biffo

Quote from: milk on June 07, 2020, 04:09:16 PM

Victorian Slum house. 
This was a really informative and interesting reality series. It's just so darn depressing. Life was miserable in those times (I'm sure they still are, depending where you live in the world).

I saw this series when it was first transmitted in the UK. It was very informative in many ways but a long way from a real Victorian slum. The program makers wouldn't have been allowed to put the families in the appalling conditions that prevailed in those days - half of them would have been dead before the end of the series.

milk

Quote from: Biffo on June 07, 2020, 11:26:12 PM
I saw this series when it was first transmitted in the UK. It was very informative in many ways but a long way from a real Victorian slum. The program makers wouldn't have been allowed to put the families in the appalling conditions that prevailed in those days - half of them would have been dead before the end of the series.
Did you see the Manor House series? It's much more fun, for obvious reasons. The slum series is depressing even while imagining real slum life was twice as bad.

Biffo

Quote from: milk on June 08, 2020, 01:22:02 AM
Did you see the Manor House series? It's much more fun, for obvious reasons. The slum series is depressing even while imagining real slum life was twice as bad.

I saw the Manor House series and the suburban house series, both quite interesting. There have been a number of this type of thing over the years. Most recently one involved a family running a shop over a number of decades. It was a bit of a jog-trot through history and I didn't think much of it.

This was a lot more interesting -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0OfKaD8B6g

The same group have done several series, can't remember what they were right now. Ruth Goodman is always interesting.

milk

Quote from: Biffo on June 08, 2020, 02:40:17 AM
I saw the Manor House series and the suburban house series, both quite interesting. There have been a number of this type of thing over the years. Most recently one involved a family running a shop over a number of decades. It was a bit of a jog-trot through history and I didn't think much of it.

The same group have done several series, can't remember what they were right now. Ruth Goodman is always interesting.
I wanted to see that but I think it's not streaming.

Papy Oli

Catching up on a BBC series i ignored or missed the first time round - Life on Mars. Finished series 1 last night, onto no.2 now. (spin off Ashes to Ashes to follow after that). Really good.

Olivier

Biffo

Quote from: milk on June 08, 2020, 02:45:26 AM
I wanted to see that but I think it's not streaming.

Goodman et al have made several series, all worth watching if they are available to you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_historic_farm_series

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 08, 2020, 02:52:20 AM
Catching up on a BBC series i ignored or missed the first time round - Life on Mars. Finished series 1 last night, onto no.2 now. (spin off Ashes to Ashes to follow after that). Really good.

Hello Olivier,
That's one I'd like to watch as well having missed it first time round.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Biffo on June 08, 2020, 02:40:17 AM

I watched a bunch of the Victorian Farm series (not certain whether or not I watched all of them...should double-check) and I found them to be quite interesting and enjoyable.

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

I've been watching the French series 'Philharmonic' - OTT but great fun and 'Snowpiercer', the latter because my neighbour's daughter is in it.

Todd

The Tudors.  I found something to kill some time during quasi-quarantine by going back over a decade.  The soapy life of bad boy Henry VIII makes for decent premium cable fare.  Jonathan Rhys Meyers hams it up as the king, and the other regular supporting actors do good enough work.  Production values are shoddy.  Showtime used C- and D-team greenscreen teams, with some exterior shots looking really bad.  Even something as prosaic as lighting is off.  Some of the early episodes use floodlights as a stand-in for the sun, but diffusers were not properly used and color temperature not property adjusted.  And the production team didn't even bother trying to bulk up the too short Meyers as the king ages.  Too, the first two seasons spend much more time to cover less chronological time while the final two season just zoom through the years.  The show's trick, though, is to bring in one veteran actor or actress per season to spice things up: Sam Neill, Peter O'Toole (!), Max von Sydow, and Joely Richardson, respectively, for each season.  It is no surprise that O'Toole delivers his lines as Paul III deliciously, with his dismissive remark about Michelangelo and his quip about women being especially noteworthy.  Ms Richardson is the best thing in the last season.  A good B-.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vandermolen

Binge watched the last three (out of six) episodes of the French drama 'Philharmonia' tonight. Great entertainment and clever twists. Sad ending. Recommended, especially for the setting in a symphony orchestra.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 11, 2020, 02:06:11 PM
Binge watched the last three (out of six) episodes of the French drama 'Philharmonia' tonight. Great entertainment and clever twists. Sad ending. Recommended, especially for the setting in a symphony orchestra.

We pay too much to Virgin each month and yet try as we might unable to watch Philharmonia. Most frustrating.

Enjoying the latest series of "Cardinal". We moan about the weather in the UK but Canada is something else!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

George

Recently renewed for a fourth season, I decided to check it out. So far, I have enjoyed the first two seasons. Will start/finish season 3 over the weekend.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Roy Bland

Todd

The Night Manager.  I missed this mini-series when it first became streamable, but I'm glad I found it now.  Based on a John le Carre work, it is the first entirely satisfying movie or TV show I've watched in a while.  To be sure, there are some le Carre plot contrivances, but the production is first rate, the plot plausible, and the key actors all do good work.  Pity it is only six episodes.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SimonNZ

^I don't remember that having missiles. And while I liked it I remember think it way preposterous that there weren't dozens of people at his old work who recognized him.

TD

Finished season one. Can someone who's seen more of it tell me: are future seasons about finding a cure and learning more about the virus, or is it mostly about rival groups of survivors acting feral and people within groups acting feral and a regular splash of gore?