Jazz Purchases

Started by Bogey, May 23, 2015, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

Henk

kishnevi

Found this new release in the bins at Barnes and Noble, remembered favorable mention of him here on GMG.  Purchase ensued.
[asin]B018XWKEP2[/asin]

vandermolen

Saw this jazz quartet live in a local church on Friday. They play my favourite type of modern jazz. I enjoyed every song and strongly recommend their CD below. I especially liked their version of the Beatles's 'Here, there and everywhere'. They are classically trained I suspect:
[asin]B014T9YOKE[/asin]
The CD is very cheaply available on Amazon UK.
Here they are live in London:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4rlq_x3C4hs
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Just bought:

This is a classic quartet and one of Abercrombie's best groups IMHO. In Abercrombie's sound, especially for this quartet, you can hear the precursor to what I call the 'Metheny" (Pat Metheny that is) guitar tone where there's this chorused/echoed type of tone being emulated through the usage of effects. I'm not sure how Abercrombie achieved his sound, but Metheny used two Lexicon Prime Time Delay units to help create his signature sound, but Abercrombie being older and already honed his own personal sound, I'm not sure what equipment he used to achieve it. Anyway, Abercrombie was the first true jazz guitarist on ECM to get on the label as a main player. Of course, you had guys like Terje Rypdal and Ralph Towner around the same time, but these guys weren't strictly 'jazz' guitarists IMHO. I really look forward to hearing the rest of this quartet's albums as I only own one previously: Arcade, which was available as a Japanese-only release for years as the European and American releases remained long OOP and still are outside of this new box set.

Bogey

From the folks at Acoustics Sounds....with love. All sealed and ready for their initial play. I've never had anything that I purchased from them that has been re-sealed or not as described, but they can charge a shiny penny for most of their vintage stock.

And more from Acoustic Sounds. The Shotgun Slade has been one of my grails in nice condition. This and the other two are also sealed up. Too bad I could not net them for their sticker prices.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

kishnevi

From Amazon itself, one of those rare times Marketplace prices were not less than those of the Monster itself

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 03, 2016, 08:43:27 PM
From Amazon itself, one of those rare times Marketplace prices were not less than those of the Monster itself

New Song is great. I posted about it on the WJAYLT thread.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

kishnevi

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on April 04, 2016, 05:07:01 PM
New Song is great. I posted about it on the WJAYLT thread.

Then that may have been the lead that brought me to Cohen.

You may want to know Avital has a brand new album (released 3/18)
[asin]B01B66GREY[/asin]

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 05, 2016, 06:49:15 PM
Then that may have been the lead that brought me to Cohen.

Ah, yes, I saw your post on that. It could be.

QuoteYou may want to know Avital has a brand new album (released 3/18)
[asin]B01B66GREY[/asin]

Thank you! I wasn't aware. Samples sound fantastic. :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Henk

Brian

Purchased last night:

[asin] B001G9LVLG[/asin] [asin] B000001E6U[/asin] [asin] B000008BRQ[/asin]

Purchased a 3rd party seller's copy of Antibes because Amazon is hawking a CD-R.

Artem

Mingus at Antibes is among Mingus' best disks. The interplay and interaction among musicians is amazing in that live setting.

Spineur

Blues and Ballads, Brad Mehldau Trio

[asin]B01D5I30X2[/asin]

The music is simpler and less technical than in his previous album, leaving more room for emotion.
Maybe its the influence of Jeff Ballard.  Its my favorite kind of Jazz.  I would be interested to hear what other GMG members think of this album and/or of Brad Mahldau discography.

Mirror Image

Spineur

Decided to get acquainted with this italian pianist

[asin]B004A90AAM[/asin]

kishnevi

For those in the US, this may be of interest.
http://arkivjazz.com/?utm_source=ArkivMusic&utm_medium=Banner-Ad&utm_content=AJ-
If their pricing follows their practices with classical, they will be most competitive on pricing in new realeases and CDs going out of print.  They seem to offer a wide range of smaller labels.

king ubu

Quote from: Spineur on September 04, 2016, 12:09:12 PM
Decided to get acquainted with this italian pianist

[asin]B004A90AAM[/asin]
He has recorded a ton and some more of albums ... the best are great, but some are just sorta nice and not all that deep, I find.
The trio with Johnson/Baron though is brilliant, CAM has several discs of theirs, most famous I assume the two volumes of "Play Morricone" - they have been reissued as a double disc set.

If you want to hear him with horns, get "Fellini Jazz" (also on CAM), with Kenny Wheeler and Chris Potter (and then also get "Journey to Donnafugata" by another pianist, Salvatore Bonafede, whom I'm otherwise not familiar with).

CAM has also dedicated one of their "Complete Remastered Recordings on Black Saint & Soul Note" to Pieranunzi ... it contains the first of the albums with Johnson/Baron, "Deep Down", which I think is the best of the albums in the box (which is a bit of a mixed bag, some of it falling into that merely nice category).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Spineur

I dont know if this is the box you (King Ubu) were refering to in the listening thread as "Jazz on Vogue" but I got it anyway (36€ on dodax)

[asin]B0087PI57K[/asin]

I believe, I do have a small amout of the material in this box, but this looks really nice to have

king ubu

Quote from: Spineur on October 02, 2016, 07:37:31 AM
I dont know if this is the box you (King Ubu) were refering to in the listening thread as "Jazz on Vogue" but I got it anyway (36€ on dodax)

[asin]B0087PI57K[/asin]

I believe, I do have a small amout of the material in this box, but this looks really nice to have

Yes - and it's full of good music!

The other one that was released later, is mostly US recordings that were taken over and distributed by Vogue in France/Europe. Not of much interest to me, honestly. This one:

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/