What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Elvin Jones and Jimmy Garrison - Illumination (1963)
Johnny Hartman - I Just Dropped By To Say Hello (1963)

ludwigii

Quote from: king ubu on September 25, 2016, 10:56:31 PM
Lovely disc! (And needless to say I'm a huge fan of the Jazz in Paris series, anyways!)

Really a nice disc  :)
A virtuoso accordionist: I am reading up on him.
These are my first jazz listens and I would like to start with this series.
"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."
Marcel Duchamp

SimonNZ

Joe Henderson - Our Thing (1963)
Chico Hamilton - Man From Two Worlds (1963)

Ghost Sonata

One of my hands-down favorites from '65 with Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter, et al.  Superb engineering, great separation and the band so free to be whatever it wanted to be.  A listener might be convinced this was classical music at some points.  Wasn't a fan of Williams' later fusion material, still he died way too young.

[asin]B001PCJFZS[/asin]
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

SimonNZ

Ben Webster - See You at the Fair (1964)
Clark Terry - The Happy Horns Of Clark Terery (1964)

king ubu

First spin - going to hear the group live in November at Jazzfest Berlin - enjoying this first listen a lot!

Quote from: ludwigii on September 27, 2016, 07:12:25 AM
Really a nice disc  :)
A virtuoso accordionist: I am reading up on him.
These are my first jazz listens and I would like to start with this series.

Hm, not sure about that plan (meaning I might consider starting with US jazz, as that's where it's from and where, at least in the first five or six decades, it mainly happened ... Viseur is a minor figure - which should not detract from the quality of that album, I really love it! - and most Europeans at that stage and well into the late 50s and early 60s, were content to follow the american lead, and in some cases it shows, in a way that you get the feeling, if you really pay attention, that they are very fluent in an idiom that is still not theirs ... that started to change in the sixties, with free improv and other developments, and I really think to this day, people like Alexander von Schlippenbach, Peter Brötzmann, Han Bennink, Evan Parker and others make music that is not made (cannot be made) by American musicians - and it's their own thing, through and through, no matter if you like it or now.

Anyway, if you do want to pursue with the Jazz in Paris series, some of my many favourites include:

26 Barney Wilen – Jazz sur Seine
(with Milt Jackson on piano and Kenny Clarke on drums - simply the best! Wilen was kid of Americans and he really understood jazz ... his debut - "Tilt" on Vogue, can be found in the great first "Jazz on Vogue" box, in case you happen to find that, I think it's OOP by now - included a slew of Monk covers, he had played with Miles as a teenager on "L'Ascenseur pour l'echaufaud" ... how's that for precocious?! I think the album was reissued on vinyl by SAM Records, just in case)

16 René Thomas – The Real Cat
27 Bobby Jaspar – Modern Jazz au Club St.-Germain
(the Belgians ... both mighty fine players! Jaspar went to the US to play with J.J. Johnson and his tone on tenor got hardened out a bit - in a good way, I think ... alas he died in the early 60s - there are more recordings of his on Vogue etc, but this is one of his finest - I think there's a SAM LP reissue of it, too, in case - there's also a second Thomas album in the series)

10 Slide Hampton – Exodus
(an underrated player and composer/arranger ... this is one his early 60's albums with his midsized group - Octet/Tentet - that was maybe the highpoint of his career)

08 Chet Baker – Broken Wing
(this was pulled later, I think - very good late 70s album with Phil Markowitz, JF Jenny Clark and Jeff Brillinger)

23 Sonny Criss – Mr. Blues pour flirter
(great stuff, with Georges Arvanitas)

04 Donald Byrd – Byrd in Paris (live)
05 Donald Byrd – Parisian Thoroughfare (live)
(there are vinyl reissues of these - or one of them - out on SAM Records, I think - Bobby Jaspar is there, too!)

28 Lucky Thompson – Modern Jazz Group
73 Lucky Thompson with Dave Pochonet All Stars
(Lucky Thompson is a favorite in this house ... his Paris recordings are uniformly good - there are more on other labels, there's good online discography available here: http://attictoys.com/lucky-thompson/)

34 Rhoda Scott / Kenny Clarke
35 Eddie Louiss – Bohemia After Dark
(organ fiesta ... in the later collector's edition, another mighty good Louiss album was reissued - as for Scott, this is one of her very best, and it's indeed just a duo, to this day her usual playing format, she is amazing!)

67 René Urtréger joue Bud Powell
(the young piano player that toured with Miles when Wilen was on board ... this is his first album and it's all Bud - and he really pulls it off!)

65 Bernard Pfeiffer – La vie en rose
93 Bernard Pfeiffer plays Standards
(a nutcase virtuoso piano player, closer to guys like Johnny Guarnieri than to modern jazz - but wow, what a ride he takes you on!)

07 Bill Coleman – From Boogie to Funk
(another album that falls into the mainstream category - very good though, with Budd Johnson on tenor)

39 Kenny Clarke Plays André Hodéir
70 Le Jazz Groupe de Paris joue André Hodeir
97 André Hodeir – Jazz et jazz
(left field jazz ... third stream, voices, whatever - I like it - the Klook Plays Hodeir is kinda standard by comparison, very good, that one!)

If you're into lush tenors, look for Guy Lafitte ("Blue and Sentimental", there's a later one, too, also good but not as lush) and Don Byas (you can buy anything by/with Don Byas if you like him, but be careful for overlap, he recorded a lot in France and there's no good editions that really include it all, alas)

More very fine ones from the initial round (some quickly mentioned in passing above):

49 Jazz & cinéma vol. 1 (Barney Wilen, Alain Goraguer)
50 Jazz & cinéma vol. 2 (Art Blakey, Jazz at the Philharmonic, George Arvanitas)
54 Various – Clarinettes à Saint-Germain-des-Prés (Maurice Meunier, Hubert Rostaing)
55 Various – Saxophones à Saint-Germain-des-Prés (Sonny Criss, Michel de Villers, Hubert Fol)
57 René Thomas – Meeting Mister Thomas
85 Bobby Jaspar – Jeux de quartes (all flute and vibes, just in case - no tenor, alas)
96 Max Roach – Parisian Sketches (this is very, very good but I already had it elsewhere)
105 Sonny Stitt Sits In with the Oscar Peterson Trio
106 Guy Lafitte – Blues...
107 Stan Getz/Michel Legrand – Communications '72

If you're into guitar (acoustic), look for Henri Crolla's discs (first, I guess: 89 Henri Crolla – Quand refleuriront les lilas blancs?) if you're into guitar (electric) absolutely look for Elek Bacsik's albums (not just the René Thomas ones).

If you're into guitar - of course you can check out the Django discs ... I have opted for the Frémeaux complete edition eventually, but kept the JiP discs. The one with Friends isn't essential, most of the others are. (I'm less enamored with Grappelli if he's without Django ... he's too polished for my taste, but his encounter with Stuff Smith - who's the pure opposite and my favourite jazz fiddler of all times, I think - is fun and his Cole Porter album is very good as well.)

The "hors série" double discs started gloriously with a Sacha Distel package that is very much worth hearing:

01 Sacha Distel – Jazz Guitarist

others worth considering/looking for:

03 Jean-Claude Fohrenbach – Fohrenbach French Sound
05 Alain Jean-Marie – Afterblue
06 Anachronic Jazz Band – Anthropology (04 auf der Rückseite!)
07 Bernard Peiffer – Improvision
08 Rhoda Scott – Paris-New York

(Fofo is odd stuff, partly with tapes, electronics, but also some very solid tenor sax ... Jean-Marie is wonderfully introspective piano from much more recent vintage, Anachronic Jazz Band does Bebop tunes in dixieland arrangements, oddball but lotsa fun, Peiffer is even more of lotsa fun, and Rhoda Scott's two disc set contains more of her very best recordings)

the later "Collector's edition" consisted of partly reissues from the first run (above), with original cover art this time, and it also included a few new items, for which I went:

Multi Interprètes – Jazz Boom N°1 (a fun compilation with Distel, Urtreger, Lafitte etc. - not sure the tracks were ever available elsewhere)
Quincy Jones – I Dig Dancers (this was part of a box by Mosaic Records, but they missed the bonus tracks, alas - not important really, but still too bad)
Eddy Louiss – Orgue (glorious!)
Nathan Davis – Rules of Freedom (very, very good!)

Note that I skipped the Chet Baker offerings that were in the series (one in the initial run, another one with Bobby Jaspar in the collector's edition) - I have the stunning Complete Barclay box of his, so I don't need any of it ... best are the album with Dick Twardzik (not in the JiP series), I guess the one with Jaspar should be considered first rate, too, while the other one ("Plays Standards") is kinda moody - it was made with Gérard Gustin on piano (don't know him otherwise) just after Twardzik had ODed.

I have put together extensive lists on this German forum (you will understand the lists without reading German of course):
http://forum.rollingstone.de/foren/topic/jazz-in-paris/

This is lots of info, I know ... and lots of recommendations. However, I think many of these are OOP anyway, so just try your luck!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Spineur

I'll definitivly will dig into this !

TD: Lavin
Lucas Niggli, drums
Sylvie Courvoisier, piano

[asin]B00003L2QT[/asin]

SimonNZ

Milt Jackson - Jazz N Samba (1964)
Lionel Hampton - You Better Know It (1964)

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

Just lounging around at home with this record playing at the moment - very mellow and making me feel nice and relaxed.

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

Find this one really strange but I certainly like it.

Autumn Leaves

This morning's listening:

Ahh, this forum is good value sometimes - it makes me laugh/smile ;D
This mornings listening is covering similar ground to yesterday - feeling like listening to some Jazz/Fusion :)

SimonNZ

John Patton - Oh Baby! (1965)
Sonny Rollins - On Impusle (1965)

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

I didn't like a couple of albums in this box-set (yet) but the majority of it is pretty good; this album being one of the better ones.

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

Feeling lazy today - just sitting outside in the sun and listening to music.
Wanted to hear something a bit languid so this album would appear to be a good fit.
Edit: Actually that album wasn't as laid back as what I thought - the Drummer is in overdrive in particular and does his best to liven things up.
Quite enjoyed the album today - I will give some more of Miles's second quintet albums a spin soon.

HIPster

Quote from: Conor71 on October 01, 2016, 08:19:09 PM
Now playing:

Feeling lazy today - just sitting outside in the sun and listening to music.
Wanted to hear something a bit languid so this album would appear to be a good fit.
Edit: Actually that album wasn't as laid back as what I thought - the Drummer is in overdrive in particular and does his best to liven things up.
Quite enjoyed the album today - I will give some more of Miles's second quintet albums a spin soon.
Love that album, Conor:)

You might be interested in this ~
[asin]B01KKYZQP4[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: HIPster on October 02, 2016, 02:37:03 PM
Love that album, Conor:)

You might be interested in this ~
[asin]B01KKYZQP4[/asin]

Hey mate,
yes this one looks very nice - I will keep it in mind (I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything for a while but maybe in future we'll see) :).

Autumn Leaves

ludwigii

Quote from: king ubu on September 30, 2016, 01:28:38 AM

Anyway, if you do want to pursue with the Jazz in Paris series, some of my many favourites include:

This is lots of info, I know ... and lots of recommendations. However, I think many of these are OOP anyway, so just try your luck!

Thanks for the precious advice.
I will continue with the series Jazz in Paris.
"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."
Marcel Duchamp

SimonNZ

Sam Rivers - Contours (1965)

the RVG discography I was following (and playing the albums less familiar to me) stops for some reason at 1965, and I don't seem to be able to find one that continues

so after this its back to more random and serendipitous exploring in my jazz listening

Autumn Leaves