What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: sanantonio on November 03, 2016, 10:44:44 AM
Expanding my Miles listening to three other classic recordings:

Created a playlist with Kind of Blue as well and am listening randomly.

Great afternoon set.

;)

May I suggest Sorcerer and In A Silent Way?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

Quote from: sanantonio on November 03, 2016, 05:02:55 PM
Both great Miles recordings.  For tomorrow's mix, along with a couple from earlier. 

I like to pick one album from each period.

;)

Ah, Ok. Thought you only had Kind of Blue.

Did you (or anyone else) see Miles Ahead, the fairly recent movie? The trailer looks fun, though I have heard that the movie is not historically accurate.

Spineur

Got this box
[asin]B00004WK09[/asin]
First time I am listening to this Jazz legendary figure !

SimonNZ

The Three Sounds - Black Orchid (1962)
Honi Gordon - Honi Gordon Sings (1962)

SimonNZ

Not playing: Gene Ammons' Soul Summit and Frank Wess' Southern Comfort, both stopped after one track.

I've hit that era in RVG where he took the over-wide stereo seperation of specific instruments to the extreme I like to refer to as "double-mono", and these two won't sound right with the speaker set-up we have here at work (or, really, anywhere, unless you're sitting in the "sweet spot"). Have to try again at home, but this kind of thing annoys me on headphones as well.

This is better:

Etta Jones - Lonely And Blue (1962)

XB-70 Valkyrie

Don't remember whether I posted this before (it's a long thread), but I am really enjoying this one, especially the ballads (e.g., I'm afraid the masquerade is over)

Red Garland Revisted:

This is excellent! Very beautiful melodies and wonderful interplay between the soloists Trygve Seim (tenor sax) and trumpet (Mathias Eick), with highly inventive accompaniment by Ms. Haarla (who actually wrote most of the material). A bit melancholy in places as  you might expect, but very inspirational throughout.

Vespers by Iro Haarla Quintet:

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Mirror Image

Joining in the Miles Davis party:

Davis' work with arranger Gil Evans is still some of the most remarkable jazz recordings I know and I've cherished this particular collaboration for years. What many people may not know about me here on GMG is that I went through a 15 year jazz phase before I even started to listen to classical music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on November 06, 2016, 01:12:30 PM
Great one and probably my favorite of his collaborations with Gil Evans.

Thread duty -

A mix of Miles's Second Great Quintet

Indeed. An excellent one indeed. I like all of those albums from the Second Great Quintet. Sorcerer is my favorite from that particular lineup. A great album except for that last track which is easily deletable and/or ignored. :)

George

Quote from: sanantonio on November 07, 2016, 07:01:51 AM
Listening this morning to a mix of John Coltrane and Miles Davis

No way!

I just ordered this set last night!

George

Quote from: sanantonio on November 07, 2016, 12:05:07 PM
Those Atlantic sides contain some great music, but I posted the wrong item, since I was actually listening to the newer box in the original mono sound.

Ah, ok. Do you have the heavyweight one as well?

George

Quote from: sanantonio on November 07, 2016, 12:14:53 PM
Yes.  I bought it when it first came out.  I don't own the mono set but stream it. 

The main difference is that most of the stereo masters have the drums to one side and the sax and piano on the other with the bass in the middle.  The mono recordings have a more natural sound, which after comparison, I prefer.  The problem is that they are only offering expensive vinyl besides downloads or streamingNo CDs that I can findDuh - there is a CD box for $50.00.

Thanks. I see that there are 32 tracks on the Mono set. 86 tracks on the stereo. I generally prefer stereo sound and wanted the extra music, so I went with the Heavyweight set. 

SimonNZ

McCoy Tyner - Inception (1962)
Leonard Gaskin - Darktown Strutter's Ball (1962)

Willis Jackson - Bossa Nova Plus (1962)
Larry Young - Groove Street (1962)

George

Quote from: sanantonio on November 07, 2016, 02:19:38 PM
For sure the Heavyweight box is the one to get if you don't have most of this music already.

Cool.  8)

king ubu

Quote from: George on November 07, 2016, 12:55:24 PM
Thanks. I see that there are 32 tracks on the Mono set. 86 tracks on the stereo. I generally prefer stereo sound and wanted the extra music, so I went with the Heavyweight set.

Some of the mono masters have been lost, it seems (the infamous Atlantic fire, I guess) - so entire albums are missing. The Heavyweight box is great!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

John Wright - Mr. Soul (1962)
Leonard Gaskin - Dixieland Hits (1962)

Dexter Gordon - Landslide (1962)
Ahmad Jamal - Macanudo (1962)

Spineur

George

Quote from: sanantonio on November 09, 2016, 10:54:26 AM
When I first heard On the Corner I loved it despite it being something other than jazz.  The music was made up of funk vamps much like what James Brown was doing with extended jazz solos riding over it all.  The Complete On The Corner Sessions is what I am listening to now.

Something of a misnomer, the complete sesisons boxed set covers three years of sessions, from March 1972 to May 1975, and contains music with different styles, concepts, approaches and personnel.  This includes plenty of music outside the sessions for the 1972 album On the Corner which were recorded in June and September 1972.   The rest of the box follows Miles through the next few years as he develops this sound with other bands.

Kinda like what they did for the complete Bitches Brew sessions box, right?

SimonNZ

Anita O'Day and The Three Sounds - s/t (1962)
Dave Pike - Bossa Nova Carnival (1962)

George

Quote from: sanantonio on November 09, 2016, 12:19:40 PM
Yep.  The 40th anniversary Bitches Brew box is focused only on the three sessions for the album, with alternate takes, etc.

But some of the material appeared on a later album(s), right?

George

Quote from: sanantonio on November 10, 2016, 08:47:02 AM
The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions

Features recordings from the sessions that would produce his 1969 album In a Silent Way, as well as transitional pieces from the era.  Besides material previously released on the 1968 album Filles de Kilimanjaro, there are also traccks comprising the trilogy of outtake compilations released by Columbia Records during Miles' 1975–79 recording hiatus: Water Babies, Circle in the Round and Directions.  The box set also includes previously unreleased music.

That's the set that converted me to being a true fan of Miles.