What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Etta Jones - Love Shout (1963)
Kenny Burrell and Jack McDuff - Crash (1963)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on November 10, 2016, 05:11:04 PM

Disc one. Maiden spin. Lovely! 

Great, great box, musically as well as the top-flight engineering. I've always been a big fan of Atlantic's sound. If you haven't heard it George another great Atlantic box is Mingus's complete recordings. A great supplement to the Coltrane.

The link below is for the original - and gorgeous!! - fat Atlantic box which is OOP, but might be worth the outlay for the beautiful presentation. It's been reissued however in a newer slimline "mini-box" for a fraction of the cost.

[asin]B000003446[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 10, 2016, 07:50:32 PM
Great, great box, musically as well as the top-flight engineering. I've always been a big fan of Atlantic's sound. If you haven't heard it George another great Atlantic box is Mingus's complete recordings. A great supplement to the Coltrane.

The link below is for the original - and gorgeous!! - fat Atlantic box which is OOP, but might be worth the outlay for the beautiful presentation. It's been reissued however in a newer slimline "mini-box" for a fraction of the cost.

[asin]B000003446[/asin]

Thanks, man!

If that is the older version you linked me to, I just may buy it. The price is still fairly cheap. Can you tell me who mastered that set?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on November 11, 2016, 05:51:13 AM
Thanks, man!

If that is the older version you linked me to, I just may buy it. The price is still fairly cheap. Can you tell me who mastered that set?

Yes, my link is to the original (older) version. The original recordings were produced by Nesuhi Ertegun. Remastering by Bill Inglot and Dan Hersch.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 11, 2016, 07:27:59 AM
Yes, my link is to the original (older) version. The original recordings were produced by Nesuhi Ertegun. Remastering by Bill Inglot and Dan Hersch.

Thanks. I have had some bed luck with Inglot/Hersch masterings before. They tend to have some compression and are bright sounding. But if you say you like the sound, I would certainly take your word for it. Someone else mastered the Coltrane box. Do you like the sound on the Mingus set as much as the Coltrane set? 

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on November 11, 2016, 07:36:42 AM
Thanks. I have had some bed luck with Inglot/Hersch masterings before. They tend to have some compression and are bright sounding. But if you say you like the sound, I would certainly take your word for it. Someone else mastered the Coltrane box. Do you like the sound on the Mingus set as much as the Coltrane set? 

Ok, so I spent some time running comparisons. For my comparisons I chose sessions from each box that were nearly contemporaneous. In 1959 each artist had sessions that ended up being only about three weeks apart. In 1961 each artist has sessions that were about six months apart.

In neither instance could I detect an appreciable difference in sound quality, bearing in mind that both artists have VERY different sounds: Mingus being on the thicker side with his larger, more diverse groups.

Two or three Mingus sessions predate anything in the Coltrane box by a few years. These do sound rougher, but I chalk that up to the technology of the time. In these instances it's not exactly apples to apples with the Coltrane box. But as the Mingus sessions progress in time the sound improves noticeably.

So in my not-very-scientific comparisons I'd say anyone liking the sound on the Coltrane box shouldn't have any problems liking the sound on the Mingus box. I like it, anyway. :)

George

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 11, 2016, 07:01:44 PM
So in my not-very-scientific comparisons I'd say anyone liking the sound on the Coltrane box shouldn't have any problems liking the sound on the Mingus box. I like it, anyway. :)

Very good to know! Thanks so much for your effort, buddy!  :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on November 11, 2016, 07:47:31 PM
Very good to know! Thanks so much for your effort, buddy!  :)

You're welcome, bro. It was actually quite fun!

king ubu

The last one bought after hearing the band play the closing set at this year's Jazzfest ... it's due out on Clean Feed officially in a few days - recommended!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

George

Have now worked up to disc six in this set. What an amazing journey. I think I like the slightly more edgy music on this even more than the rest.

toledobass

I've been spinning the latest in the Miles bootleg series. I love all the extras that allow a small glimpse into the band's process.

A

toledobass

I do love that kind of stuff, but I only find it interesting after knowing the original material well.

I agree that the "must have" status of this series is diminishing. The first 3 were incredible for me, but Newport and this collection don't have me running into a burning building to save.

A

Quote from: sanantonio on November 12, 2016, 05:19:05 PM
Interesting.  I was wondering if people would get into to that aspect.  That is the first of these boxes that have been coming out for years that I have hesitated buying.  I already have all the other master tracks and have never been that interested in alternate takes and rehearsal snippets. 

It is available in Spotify, so I will give it a listen.

SimonNZ

Freddie Roach - Mo' Greens Please (1963)
Illinois Jacquet - The Message (1963)

Ramsey Lewis - Barefoot Sunday Blues (1963)
Roy Haynes - Cymbalism (1963)

George

George

kishnevi

Quote from: sanantonio on November 12, 2016, 05:19:05 PM
Interesting.  I was wondering if people would get into to that aspect.  That is the first of these boxes that have been coming out for years that I have hesitated buying.  I already have all the other master tracks and have never been that interested in alternate takes and rehearsal snippets. 

It is available in Spotify, so I will give it a listen.

The set is worth at least one listen. May not hold up on repeated listenings. It may actually be of more interest to you, the practical musician,  to hear Miles at work in his secret lab, so to speak.

The Newport set is on its way to me from Rarewaves UK

SimonNZ

DaveF

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 14, 2016, 12:25:23 AM
Shirley Scott - Drag Em Out (1963)

A rather grim irony in that title considering what's just happened in your part of the world - hope's all's well.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

George

Quote from: sanantonio on November 14, 2016, 05:58:23 AM
Listening to another excellent Complete Atlantic box; this one by the classic Ornette Coleman Quartet.

These CDs are not an account of the music as the recordings were released, but a chronological traversal of the sessions as they occurred.

This box set cannot be praised highly enough.

Ohhhh, that looks tasty!