Bogey

Quote from: sanantonio on November 23, 2016, 07:22:32 AM
Sonny Rollins : Saxophone Colossus

Bass – Doug Watkins
Drums – Max Roach
Piano – Tommy Flanagan
Recorded At – Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey

One of the best recordings out there!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Dee Sharp

Stanley Turrentine: Salt Song. An old favourite.

Brian

Holiday season means a jazzy road trip to visit my family!

Bringing:

- Introducing Wayne Shorter (w/ Lee Morgan, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Cobb)*
- Kelly Great (same as above but with Philly Joe Jones)*
- Charles Mingus - complete Candid recordings*
- The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
- Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy
- Art Tatum Ben Webster Quartet*
- Not So Dukish (Hodges, Eldridge, Nance, Webster, Strayhorn, Woodyard, etc.)*
- Thelonious Monk Quartet in Geneva 1966 (live)
- Oscar Peterson & Jon Faddis*
- Hawkins! Eldridge! Hodges! Live at the Village Gate

*first listens to these

SimonNZ

Cal Tjader - Soul Sauce (1964)
Freddie Roach - All That's Good (1964)

Donald Byrd - I'm Trying To Get Home (1964)
Chuck Wayne - Morning Mist (1964)

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: king ubu on November 22, 2016, 10:21:06 PM
If you like this "cool" kind of guitar player, some others to check could be Jimmy Raney (he made some amazing recordings with Stan Getz for Roost, under Getz' leadership, there's also an album on Verve that's probably easier to find but the Roost 3CD set by Getz is desert island stuff for those Getz/Raney sessions as well as for the quartet dates with Al Haig and young Horace Silver), Tal Farlow (the Verve albums with Eddie Costa, for starters), Billy Bauer (he played with Lennie Tristano ... and made one Verve album as a leader) ... there are others, but as most of this stuff is likely somewhat hard to get, I stop here  :)

As for Raney, his album "A" on Prestige is highly recommended, and in Universal's "Originals" series there was another reissue of an album with Bob Brookmeyer (and Raney can also be heard on Brookmeyer's Prestige album).

@SimonNZ: love those Booker Ervin/Don Patterson sessions!

Sounds very interesting. Thanks! Even without the guitarists, anything with Stan Getz is worth hunting down IMO.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

king ubu

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on November 23, 2016, 09:36:18 PM
... anything with Stan Getz is worth hunting down IMO.

I tend to agree, however Getz has a huge discography and while there's hardly a bad record to be found, some of them are pretty mediocre, and if you don't want to end up with 50+ discs by Getz, it may make sense to look for particular albums or collections. But that would be a topic deserving its own thread, I guess.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Pat Bowie - Out Of Sight (1964)
Charles McPherson - Bebop Revisited (1964)

Booker Ervin - The Space Book (1964)
Kenny Dorham - Trompeta Toccata (1964)

James

Action is the only truth

king ubu

Today's listening programme so far:

Other than the Kowald/Wadada/Sommer (recordings from 1979 and 1981) all fairly recent and by Swiss musicians that were in the audience last night when Tobias Delius played with his trio called Booklet (Joe Williamson on bass and Steve Heather on drums) and the night before when Ellery Eskelin performed with Christian Weber and Michael Griener - both great concerts! The new Eskelin/Weber/Griener album, also on Intakt, was available after the concert already (it's dated to 2017) and I gave it a first spin already - highly recommended:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Andy Bey and the Bey Sisters - Round Midnight (1965)
Roland Kirk - Rip, Rig And Panic (1965)

Archie Shepp - On This Night (1965)

Spineur

Horace Silver quintet

[asin]B0007M23AQ[/asin]

SimonNZ

Wes Montgomery - Bumpin' (1965)
Cal Tjader - Soul Bird: Whiffenpoof (1965)

Hank Mobley - The Turnaround (1965)

king ubu

Been playing 1966 Dylan from the new box (finally landed here on Thursday) ... got 10 or 11 discs in and it's amazing!

Now on to something different, first spin ... loungy stuff, nice enough:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on November 26, 2016, 01:42:30 PM
Been playing 1966 Dylan from the new box (finally landed here on Thursday) ... got 10 or 11 discs in and it's amazing!

Lucky, lucky you - I can't possibly afford that at the moment. Hopefully one of the Dylan-fan friends of mine will aquire it. What kind of sound quality / sound-capture is it?

Andante

Tiger Rag by The Dutch Swing College Band of the 60s one of Europe's leading ens of that time.

Line up.

Oscar Klein Trumpet
Dick Kaart Trombone
Jan Morks clarinet
Arie Ligthart Banjo/guitar,
Bob van Oven bass & Martien Beenen drums.
And of course the one and only Peter Schilperoort on clarinet and baritone sax

https://www.youtube.com/v/sZu-qg13gkI&index=2&list=RDRpnCHfwbzWQ
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 26, 2016, 01:55:47 PM
Lucky, lucky you - I can't possibly afford that at the moment. Hopefully one of the Dylan-fan friends of mine will aquire it. What kind of sound quality / sound-capture is it?

Most of it is taken from mono soundboards - pretty decent though drier than it would have sounded had they captured what actually went on in the halls. Four concerts were recorded professionally by Columbia for a planned live album, there are a few stray TV/radio broadcast recordings, and there are, I think six discs of audience recordings from early on. They are grouped at the end of the box, but I re-grouped them in order to have it all in chronological order. 11 discs in, all the AUDs are now behind me (and all the Columbia recordings still ahead).

The actual Royal Albert Hall concert, btw, will also be released separately in a few days (the 1966 Bootleg had the Manchester concert, though they didn't know that back then, I guess).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Dexter Gordon - Clubhouse (1965)
Bill Evans and Jim Hall - Intermodulation (1965)

Morris Nanton - Something We've Got (1965)
Bill Evans - A Simple Matter Of Conviction (1965)

SimonNZ

The John Coltrane Quartet Plays (February 17-18 and May 17, 1965 - rel: 1965)
Transition (May 26 and June 10, 1965 - rel: 1970)

Living Space (June 10 and 16, 1965 - rel.(as album): 1998)
Kulu Sé Mama (June 10, 16 and October 14, 1965 - rel: 1967)

Ascension (June 28, 1965 - rel: 1966)
First Meditations For Quartet (September 2, 1965 - rel: 1977)

Meditations (November 23, 1965 - rel: 1966)

^About to start the seventh Coltrane album in a row, and man its been great hearing them all again and in context. These seven are on the RVG list for 1965. There's three others released from sessions that year which weren't recorded at the Van Gelder studios: New Thing At Newport (July 2, 1965 - rel: 1965), Sun Ship (August 26, 1965 - rel: 1971) and Om (October 1, 1965 - rel; 1968). I'll be playing those three tomorrow to complete this overview of Trane '65, and hopefully reading the section on his last years from the Lewis Porter study.

edit: I realise now that I have to also add to the 1965 discography Live At The Half-Note: One Up, One Down (March 26 and May 7, 1965 - rel: 2005) and Live In Seattle (September 30, 1965 - rel: 1971).

edit: Oh, and also the July 26, 1965 live performance of A Love Supreme from the second disc of the 2002 Deluxe edition of that album.

Notice of any other '65 omissions welcomed.