What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

From the sublime to the ridiculous (actually they're both good-natured fun, if unremarkable otherwise):

Johnny "Hammond" Smith - The Stinger (1965)
Freddie McCoy - Spider Man (1965)

SimonNZ

Freddie McCoy - Peas 'n' Rice (1965)
Jackie McLean - Consequence (1965)

Hank Mobley - A Caddy For Daddy (1965)
Lalo Schifrin - Once a Thief and Other Themes (1965)

king ubu

Into disc three now - the latest one from Laurie ... the usual ugly design (well, ugly is putting it most kindly), sound is acceptable, the rhythm section is nothing to write home about ... but those two guys on the saxophone - wow!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Wes Montgomery - California Dreaming (1966)
Blue Mitchell - Bring it On Home To Me (1966)

Don Friedman - Metamorphosis - (1966)

Andante

Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

SimonNZ

Cal Tjader - Soul Burst (1966)
The Three Sounds - Vibrations (1966)

Ed Thigpen - Out Of The Storm (1966)
Gabor Szabo - Jazz Raga (1966)

Ornette Coleman - The Empty Foxhole (1966)
Jimmy Smith - Peter And The Wolf (1966)

SimonNZ

Wes Montgomery - Tequila (1966)
Larry Young - Of Love And Peace (1966)

Pharoah Sanders - Tauhid (1966)
Gary McFarland and Gábor Szabó - Simpático (1966)

Yusef Lateef - The Golden Flute (1966)

Artem

These two in the morning. Each disk has some nice tracks, but overall the albums are uneven.
[asin]B000024Y5J[/asin][asin]B000024RFS[/asin]

Spineur

Georges Arvanitas, 3AM, Cocktail for three

[asin]B01C4MOXMC[/asin]

NJ Joe

"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SimonNZ

Quote from: Bogey on December 04, 2016, 12:07:00 PM
Absolute MONEY!

Yeah, he's someone I hadn't paid much attention to before, but there is a growing number of artists I'm hearing in this project that I'd previously overlooked and that I've made note to explore in more depth once I'm finished, and he's one of them. Any favorite albums?

now:

Sonny Stitt - Soul People (1966)

Bogey

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 04, 2016, 12:54:58 PM
Yeah, he's someone I hadn't paid much attention to before, but there is a growing number of artists I'm hearing in this project that I'd previously overlooked and that I've made note to explore in more depth once I'm finished, and he's one of them. Any favorite albums?

Mannix Soundtrack
Enter the Dragon Soundtrack
Mission Impossible (tv) Soundtrack
Bullit Soundtrack
Dirty Harry Soundtrack

I also have this cd:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SimonNZ

Thanks, Bogey - I'll check those out.

Bogey

Just popped this on my wishlist as well.  You are most welcome.  I'll look into the one you posted as well.  There is always overlap with compilation, but I'm hoping yours has some sweet stuff on it.  Love the Lalo man!

SimonNZ

Quote from: Bogey on December 04, 2016, 02:51:37 PM

Just popped this on my wishlist as well.  You are most welcome.  I'll look into the one you posted as well.  There is always overlap with compilation, but I'm hoping yours has some sweet stuff on it.  Love the Lalo man!

That "Once A Thief And Other Themes" comes from just two recording dates in May '65, so I think its a freshly performed retrospective rather than a round-up of bits from pre-existing soundtrack recordings.

And I see there is another Lalo album on the RVG list for 1966, so I may as well play that now:

Lalo Schifrin - The Dissection and Reconstruction of Music From the Past as Performed by the Inmates of Lalo Schifrin's Demented Ensemble as a Tribute to the Memory of the Marquis De Sade (1966)

followed by:

Shirley Scott - Roll 'Em (1966)
Gabor Szabo - Spellbinder (1966)

SimonNZ

Chico Hamilton - The Further Adventures Of El Chico (1966)
Stanley Turrentine (with Shirley Scott) - Let It Go (1966)

Don Cherry - Symphony For Improvisers (1966)
Sonny Rollins - East Broadway Run Down (1966)

Don Patterson - Soul Happening (1966)

king ubu

too lazy to post in the past few days ... played plenty of new arrivals, first this mighty good 1979 date by Frank Foster, with great Mickey Tucker on piano and some fine guitar solos by Ted Dunbar:

then, bought most of Clean Feed's 2016 output (they're giving 15% reduction for it's their 15th anniversary - mighty fine label):

and then also finally sat down to really listen to this amazing set of two Braxton concerts from São Paulo - really fantastic! - then the latest one by Wadada Leo Smith, and the new one by Andrew Cyrille:

2016 is a mighty fine year, methinks ... plenty of good new releases, plenty of great archival first releases, and still some welcome reissues coming, too.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

George Braith - Laughing Soul (1966)
Frank Foster - Soul Outing (1966)

Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures (1966)