What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Barney Kessel - Easy Like (1956)
Jimmy Raney - Raney'81 (1981)

Steve Lacy and Brion Gysin - Songs (1981)
Tim Warfield - A Whisper In The Midnight (2009)

Ghost Sonata

All Jazz Weekend Chez Le Fantôme

Now:  [asin]B0000047CS[/asin]

And tomorrow I'm joining the march 'cause I've had all I can stand and can't stand no more.  Sure hope I don't get my head clubbed-in.  I'm too old for this actually, but also too old for Repiglican Oppression.  1970 redux.
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

Artem

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 01, 2017, 03:25:13 PM

Chet Baker and Philip Catherine -  Chet's Choice (1985)
This is a great album. Chet Bakes has been my recent discovery. His 1980s stuff is great.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Artem on February 04, 2017, 03:23:47 AM
This is a great album. Chet Bakes has been my recent discovery. His 1980s stuff is great.

Yeah! I'm going to have to try and hear more of his later albums, which I'm largely unfamiliar with, so any recommendations welcomed. As I indicated a little bit upthread there were two in the RVG project I heard - She Was Too Good To Me from 1974 and Studio Trieste from 1982 - both of which I though were unexpected knockouts.

now:

Terry Gibbs - It's Time We Met Terry Gibbs (1965)
Warne marsh - Star Highs (1982)

Joe Maneri - Coming Down The Mountain (1997)
Eberhard Weber - Pendulum (1993)

Artem

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 04, 2017, 12:50:05 PM
Yeah! I'm going to have to try and hear more of his later albums, which I'm largely unfamiliar with, so any recommendations welcomed. As I indicated a little bit upthread there were two in the RVG project I heard - She Was Too Good To Me from 1974 and Studio Trieste from 1982 - both of which I though were unexpected knockouts.
I only have a few of his disks, but out of them I really like Candy and Broken Wing.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Quote from: Artem on February 05, 2017, 01:06:22 AM
I only have a few of his disks, but out of them I really like Candy and Broken Wing.

Will check those two out. Thanks.

now:

Joe Puma - It's A Blue World  (1999)
Kirk Lightsey - Isotope (1983)

Ellery Eskelin - One Great Day (1996)
Terje Rypdal - What Comes After (1973)

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 04, 2017, 12:50:05 PM

There's lots of fine late Chet Baker ... the one most outstanding album may be "Crystal Bells" (CD reissue on Igloo). Others I really like include "Strollin'" and "Peace" (both Enja), somewhat earlier "Broken Wings" (reissued in Universal France's "Jazz in Paris" series), "Mr. B." (Timeless, also reiasued in their most recent series). "Blues for a Reason" (Criss Cross, with Warne Marsh and the late Hod O'Brien) is also pretty good, so is "Candy" (if you can find the Sonet reissue), and so is the duo album with Paul Bley, "Diane" (Steeplechase). The "Sesjun Radio Shows" two-disc-set gives a good overview of late Chet in different line-ups ... and "Silence", the Soul Note album with Charlie Haden, Enrico Pieranunzi and Billy Higgins, can be found in the Haden "The Complete Remastered Recordings On Black Saint & Soul Note" (CAM Jazz) (but not in the Pieranunzi one, just in case ... they have since started duplicating sideman-appearances much more often ...)

Either way, last jazz albums on play here:

The last one just bought in Novara at the concert of the Vinnie Golia Trio (which was truly excellent, though it should have been the Bobby Bradford/Vinnie Golia Quartet).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

George

Lovin the Jack Johnson. On the Corner I am still trying to appreciate. Great sound on these Mofi SACDs.

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on February 06, 2017, 04:13:56 AM
There's lots of fine late Chet Baker ... the one most outstanding album may be "Crystal Bells" (CD reissue on Igloo). Others I really like include "Strollin'" and "Peace" (both Enja), somewhat earlier "Broken Wings" (reissued in Universal France's "Jazz in Paris" series), "Mr. B." (Timeless, also reiasued in their most recent series). "Blues for a Reason" (Criss Cross, with Warne Marsh and the late Hod O'Brien) is also pretty good, so is "Candy" (if you can find the Sonet reissue), and so is the duo album with Paul Bley, "Diane" (Steeplechase). The "Sesjun Radio Shows" two-disc-set gives a good overview of late Chet in different line-ups ... and "Silence", the Soul Note album with Charlie Haden, Enrico Pieranunzi and Billy Higgins, can be found in the Haden "The Complete Remastered Recordings On Black Saint & Soul Note" (CAM Jazz) (but not in the Pieranunzi one, just in case ... they have since started duplicating sideman-appearances much more often ...)

Thanks very much for that. Made a note of all of those. Will probably get to the Criss Cross album soon, as I'm trying to play one of their albums every day.

now:

Barney Kessel - Carmen (1959)
Paul Dunmall - Ghostly Thoughts (1997)

Johnny Coles - New Morning (1982)
Duke Ellington - The Far East Suite (1967)

SimonNZ

Duke Ellington - The Latin American Suite (1972)
Duke Ellington - Soul Call (1967)

Doug Raney - Meeting The Tenors (1983)
Misha Mengelberg - The Root Of The Problem (1997)

king ubu

Revisiting this after reading about the death of Asmussen - such a charming album!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Chet Baker - Broken Wing (1978)
Wayne Marsh - A Ballad Album (1983)

Matthew Shipp - Thesis (1997)
Duke Ellington - Festival Session (1959)

Duke Ellington - Blues In Orbit (1960)

George

A first listen on this slow-snowy day at work.

SimonNZ

Chet Baker - Candy (1985)
Clifford Jordan - Two Tenor Winner (1984)

XB-70 Valkyrie

Wishlisted (just heard on KCSM's All Out): Two Wadada Leo Smith CDs

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

James

Action is the only truth

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 10, 2017, 06:13:50 AM
I love this stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/v/7naoQ9iuLJI

Stan Kenton is one of my faves, Karl. Great stuff. Check out his Standards albums: Portrait On Standards and Sketches On Standards. Right up your alley.

king ubu

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!