What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Chet Baker - Crystal Bells (1983)
Kollektiv - Live 1973

Slide Hampton - Roots (1985)
Myra Melford and Han Bennink - Eleven Ghosts (1997)

Duke Ellington - Jazz At The Plaza Vol.2 (rec:1958 rel:1973)

SimonNZ

Chet Baker - Strollin (1985)
David Pike - Pike's Groove (1986)

Jimmy Giuffre and André Jaume - Momentum, Willisau 1988

HIPster

Sangam - Charles Lloyd, Zakir Hussain, Eric Harland

[asin]B000EGCE9U[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

SimonNZ

Barney Kessel - To Swing Or Not To Swing (1956)
Cedar Walton - Bluesville Time (1985)

Mat Maneri - Acceptance (1998)
Duke Ellington - This One's For Blanton (1972)

king ubu

@SimonNZ: hope you enjoyed the late Chet!

Here, lately:

Guess the first one is the only one really worth considering, unless you're really into Japanese Jazz Rock or Jazz Rock/Fusion in general ... but the other two have Masabumi Kikuchi, so I guess I had to get them, nonetheless.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on February 12, 2017, 02:40:17 PM
@SimonNZ: hope you enjoyed the late Chet!

I am enjoying them! I'm especially admiring the young sidemen he's got on these dates and the room he's giving them to stretch out and shine.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Pat Metheny and Ornette Coleman - Song X (1986)
Ornette Coleman - Crisis (1972)

Chet Baker and Paul Bley - Diane (1985)
Ralph Moore - 623 C Street (1987)

SimonNZ

Walt Dickerson - To My Son (1980)
Billy Taylor - A Touch Of Taylor (1955)

Bryan Lynch - Peer Preasure (1986)
Matthew Shipp - The Multiplication Table (1998)

NikF

Jim Hall: Jazz Guitar.

[asin]B00LSYYI5A[/asin]

Jimmy Raney: Jimmy Raney visits Paris.

[asin]B000ION1RC[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

Jim Hall - Live In Toronto (1977)
Roy Eldridge - Little Jazz (1955)

Ted Brown - Free Spirit (1987)
Sven-Åke Johansson - Six Little Pieces For Quintet (2000)

NikF

Joe Pass: The Complete "Catch Me!" Sessions.

[asin]B002MJM8KW[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 12, 2017, 06:34:04 PM
I am enjoying them! I'm especially admiring the young sidemen he's got on these dates and the room he's giving them to stretch out and shine.

Catherine is the main act there, I think - some truly outstanding albums in trios with a bassist added to him and Chet!

Here, lately:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

James

Action is the only truth

SimonNZ

Barney Kessel - Kessel Plays Standards (1956)
Hampton Hawes - All Night Session Vol.1 (1956)

Mike LeDonne - 'Bout Time (1988)
Tete Montoliu - Music For Perla (1974)

Miles Davis - Get Up With It (1974)

king ubu

Two excellent 2016 historical releases ... still catching up with the latest wave of Frémeaux' "Live in Paris" series (Les McCann, MJQ, JATP, Monk ... the series also contains fine sets by Basie, Ray Charles, Sinatra, Ella ...). The TCB series is aces anyway, still missing Vol. 42 (Brubeck), and Vol. 1 I have elsewhere (a Quincy Jones package of live material by his great big band of 1960/61), all the other 40 discs I have on my shelves (and there are two more concert recordings worth mentioning: Ellington 1950 and Satchmo 1949, both from Zurich and not part of the Swiss Radio Days Jazz Series).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

George

SimonNZ

^Heh. I'd be interested to hear your initial reaction to that one. I think first time I heard it back in my teens it kind of scared me a little.

btw: It was great hearing Get Up With It again last night. For some reason that's an album that seems to change its shape and create a different reaction each of the half-dozen times I've heard it. Learned for the first time that the opening "He Loved Him Madly" is a musical touchstone and inspiration for Brian Eno, which seems like it should have been obvious now that I've heard it.

now:

Benny Golson - Benny Golson's New York Scene (1957)
Steve Nelson - Communications (1987)

Noah Kaplan - Descendants (2011)
Chris Potter - Lift: Live At The Village Vanguard (2004)

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 17, 2017, 02:02:45 PM
^Heh. I'd be interested to hear your initial reaction to that one. I think first time I heard it back in my teens it kind of scared me a little.

Yeah, scary indeed. But in a good way. This is some great stuff. I am tempted to go for the whole shebang and pick up The Cellar Door Sessions.

Quotebtw: It was great hearing Get Up With It again last night. For some reason that's an album that seems to change its shape and create a different reaction each of the half-dozen times I've heard it. Learned for the first time that the opening "He Loved Him Madly" is a musical touchstone and inspiration for Brian Eno, which seems like it should have been obvious now that I've heard it.

Get Up With It is another recent Miles Davis album I picked up for the first time. I have yet to hear it, maybe sometime this weekend.

I also found a cheap used copy of Big Fun. That one is on the way.

king ubu

Monk in Stockholm, and then in Copenhagen - May 1961 - the first is a double LP on Dragon. This is a recent acquisition, but quickly turning into a favourite, at least as far as that well-documented tour in April and May 1961 is concerned. Riverside picked two of the weaker concerts, I think. The "Monk in France" album, of which the "Complete Riverside Recordings" box already contained various bonus tracks is the basis of the again expanded "Live in Paris" two disc set depicted above ... making it longer doesn't make it much better, it's okay though, but not great; "Monk in Italy" is to my ears on about the same level. This here from Stockholm and the Storyville disc with the following night's Copenhagen concert sound much better to me. Here, Rouse is indeed in great shape, and Monk as so often seems to depend on the mood of his band. The better the band plays, the more he plays instead of just going through the moves. I guess "Monk's Dream" and "Monk in Tokyo" remain my favourites of this band (the Rouse-Monk-Ore/Warren-Dunlop line-up, that is - change on bass makes no difference, but when Dunlop left, the band's sound, or rather: the band's groove and swing did change some, but the Rouse-Monk-Gales-Riley band was still excellent when it was in good moods), and in fact favourites as far as late Monk in general is concerned ("Big Band and Quartet in Concert" would probably be the third big favourite there).

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!