What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Great info. Thanks!

now:

Alex Sipiagin - Generations: Dedicated To Woody Shaw (2010)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mookalafalas

Did something silly today. Bought a 5 disc set of Monk on Riverside.  Just realized I already have his complete riverside collection. 
   Anyway, I don't really mind cuz these have the original album covers. 
   Playing Monk plays Duke and The Unique.  I bought Monk Plays Duke on vinyl for $5.99 30 years ago.  Nice to have the sleeve again.

[asin] B000NDEXQG[/asin]
It's all good...

SimonNZ

Bobby Broom - No Hype Blues (1995)
Michel Portal - Men's Land (1987)

George

Man, this is soooooo good! I think I like it more than the original. 

George

XB-70 Valkyrie

Blasé by Archie Shepp, Malachi Favors, et al., and the wonderful vocalist Jeanne Lee. I can't remember when I've heard so many different styles on one album. Mine is in LP form. Outstanding record!

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Bogey

I have had this recording for years, but finally found a squeaky clean one. Some of Elmer Bernstein's best for sure.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SimonNZ

Adam Rogers and David Binney - R&B (2014)
Miles Davis - Blue Haze (1954)

Walt Dickerson and Richard Davis - Divine Gemini (1977)
Michel Portal - Any Way (1993)

king ubu

lately:

The Ervin has been in almost constant rotation since news of Horace Parlan's death got out. The Booker Little was next on my smartphone and thus revisited during a morning commute - so sad he left us with so few albums. This and the Bethlehem ("Booker Little & Friend") are both wonderful. In addition, there's the great music he made on some of Eric Dolphy's Prestige records, more with Max Roach, the Time quartet album, the session with Teddy Charles that has him with Booker Ervin ...

Rhoda Scott's latest ist another nice effort, nothing essential I guess, but I love her playing. The Lucky Thompson is drop-down gorgeous ... quite possibly the best of the great historical releases on Sonorama so far! It came out late last year but I only just bought it.

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

George

Spinning the Ron McMaster mastering of this great album!

SimonNZ

Michel Portal - Radar (2015)
Dizzy Gillespie - Dizzy In Greece (1957)

king ubu

That 1957 Gillespie big band is wonderful! There was a two-disc set compiling the three Verve albums as well as bonus tracks from the sessions ... and then there's "Live at Newport" (the Verve CD added a few bonustracks), as wel as a live recording from Chester, Pennsylvania. I have a large portion of that later on a disc by Jazz Unlimited (a somewhat shady sublabel of Storyville's), and I think that may actually be my favourite of the bunch, all things considered. (There are various editions around with material from that night in Chester, not sure if there's a complete one, I bought a second disc with plenty of overlap and some additional tracks once, that's all in all less attractive).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Yeah! I put that on pretty much by chance and was greatly impressed.

In fact I think I'll play another from the same band now:

Dizzy Gillespie - World Statesman (1957)
Mark Murphy - Rah (1961)

Everywhere I turn at the moment I'm hearing interesting versions of Miles tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/v/2cKYNOysZY8

SimonNZ

Ralph Lalama - Circle Line (1995)
Hampton Hawes - The Trio (1955)

Ornette Coleman - Virgin Beauty (1988)
Phillip Johnston - Normalology (1996)

Hazel Scott - Great Scott (1947)
Matthew Shipp  - Duos with Mat Maneri and Joe Morris (2011)

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: king ubu on March 12, 2017, 05:31:38 AM
lately:

The Booker Little was next on my smartphone and thus revisited during a morning commute - so sad he left us with so few albums. This and the Bethlehem ("Booker Little & Friend") are both wonderful. In addition, there's the great music he made on some of Eric Dolphy's Prestige records, more with Max Roach, the Time quartet album, the session with Teddy Charles that has him with Booker Ervin ...

He is one of my fav trumpeters. I specialy like his recording with Lafaro, Bill Evans bassist, and the live with Dolphy. Fire Waltz is such a great song by Mal Waldron.