What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Arthur Blythe - Retroflection: Live At The Vanguard (1994)

king ubu

Quote from: Bogey on March 28, 2017, 02:30:21 PM
Nice!  Just as I imagined it.

Happy Birthday, sir!

The film is really great as far as moods, pictures (Jeanne Moreau on the wet streets in Paris nights, what more can you possibly want?) and music goes ... and the music fits the imagery perfectly well.

I can relate to only wanting the actual soundtrack, but I like the solution the complete editions offer, as they have all cuts first, and then the soundtrack bits at the end (duplicated in the complete part going before), so you can just start listening at #17 (or whichever one it is) and play through the end to listen to just the soundtrack.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Bogey

Quote from: king ubu on March 28, 2017, 10:07:01 PM
Happy Birthday, sir!

The film is really great as far as moods, pictures (Jeanne Moreau on the wet streets in Paris nights, what more can you possibly want?) and music goes ... and the music fits the imagery perfectly well.

I can relate to only wanting the actual soundtrack, but I like the solution the complete editions offer, as they have all cuts first, and then the soundtrack bits at the end (duplicated in the complete part going before), so you can just start listening at #17 (or whichever one it is) and play through the end to listen to just the soundtrack.

Thanks!  Mine has 10 tracks (no repeats)

As for listening today, I found this yesterday in the used bins.  The shop I go to has a policy of buy two used cds, get the third free (the lowest price of the three).  This was tucked away in the "S" section, but not with the Jimmy Smith grouping, so snapped it up:

One reason I love jazz is that once in a while the artist will just take a piece and run with it.  The Sermon track is over 20 minutes.  Outstanding stuff!  Not sure how they are packaging this disc now as this particular printing seems to be OOP. 

It looks as if this three track album above is here:

What's Hoffman-ites saying about these mega-packs, George?  The "enhanced" part has me raising an eyebrow.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bogey on March 29, 2017, 05:25:47 AM

What's Hoffman-ites saying about these mega-packs, George?  The "enhanced" part has me raising an eyebrow.

The Hoffman-ites condemn releases on that label, as they are released by a company that does not have access to the master tapes and does not pay the artist any royalties.

My own experience with one release on that label is that the sound is great (undoubtedly a copy of an earlier release on another label) and not futzed with. And yeah, dirt cheap. I got this one. Seven albums for seven bucks:

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Bogey

Thanks.  I was wondering how they were able to sell them at such a cheap price.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

king ubu

Quote from: Bogey on March 29, 2017, 05:25:47 AM
Mine has 10 tracks (no repeats)

As for listening today, I found this yesterday in the used bins.  The shop I go to has a policy of buy two used cds, get the third free (the lowest price of the three).  This was tucked away in the "S" section, but not with the Jimmy Smith grouping, so snapped it up:

One reason I love jazz is that once in a while the artist will just take a piece and run with it.  The Sermon track is over 20 minutes.  Outstanding stuff!  Not sure how they are packaging this disc now as this particular printing seems to be OOP. 

Re: Miles - then you got the wrong pic above (with "complete" on the cover) - my bad then. But I guess ultimately having the ten released tracks (and missing out on the 6 additional takes as well as the duplicates of the ten - in no-reverb-sound) is quite alright.

Re: The Sermon - yeah, terrific track!

Re: those jumbo cheapo sets ... they're all over the place nowadays, I loathe them, but then I'm in the comfortable situation of having been able to build a large collection during much of the jazz CD reissue boom (which came to a halt around ten years back), the days when EMI, Fantasy, Universal, Warner, and up to around 2004 even Columbia were all regularly reissuing jazz albums (even beyond the days when they had stopped producing new albums already). I heard about some of these sets being impossible to rip because of crappy production/errors (not audible when listening, but it still sucks), also had at least one (on Membran, whom I heard are even paying small licensing fees, actually) that was dubbed from MP3 ... guess you have to live with it (in the sense of: you pay crap, you may just as well get what you pay for every now and then ... usually you're likely getting some more).

Playing some of this:

Not jazz proper, but I love this stuff and it fits into the continuum of course!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Bogey

Quote from: king ubu on March 29, 2017, 11:01:12 AM
Re: Miles - then you got the wrong pic above (with "complete" on the cover) - my bad then. But I guess ultimately having the ten released tracks (and missing out on the 6 additional takes as well as the duplicates of the ten - in no-reverb-sound) is quite alright.

Re: The Sermon - yeah, terrific track!

Re: those jumbo cheapo sets ... they're all over the place nowadays, I loathe them, but then I'm in the comfortable situation of having been able to build a large collection during much of the jazz CD reissue boom (which came to a halt around ten years back), the days when EMI, Fantasy, Universal, Warner, and up to around 2004 even Columbia were all regularly reissuing jazz albums (even beyond the days when they had stopped producing new albums already). I heard about some of these sets being impossible to rip because of crappy production/errors (not audible when listening, but it still sucks), also had at least one (on Membran, whom I heard are even paying small licensing fees, actually) that was dubbed from MP3 ... guess you have to live with it (in the sense of: you pay crap, you may just as well get what you pay for every now and then ... usually you're likely getting some more).

Playing some of this:

Not jazz proper, but I love this stuff and it fits into the continuum of course!

Would help if I could tell my left from right on my postings. I have the one on the right. 

TD

What one would expect from a recording such as this by Peterson....terrific!

SimonNZ

Arthur Blythe - Bush Baby (1977)
Dexter Gordon - Something Different (1975)

king ubu

Quote from: Bogey on March 29, 2017, 01:14:39 PM
Would help if I could tell my left from right on my postings. I have the one on the right. 

Haha ... the problem is, there are so many editions out, they basically all look the same, and on top of that the one I have (linked above) doesn't have the "complete" on the cover either - no way to really tell.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Bogey

No kidding. :D  I just re-shelved mine from my stack beside me and that will be that.  Moving on to a duo that I wished had done more together outside of the Miles' work:

However, reading the back notes it seems that we are lucky to have this as they took three sessions over a three month span to record this one back in '61.  Oy, George, this one has Waltz for Debby and Elsa, but by this quartet.  I thought I would mention the two Evans' contributions as I believe you are a big fan of his trios versions of them.  I love Adderly's laid "backness" on this album.  Not to say he falls into the background (far from it), but rather he just pulses ahead of Evans' delicate touch without overdoing it.  And as the liner notes point out correctly, this is not an album just filled with ballads.

George

Quote from: Bogey on March 30, 2017, 04:38:59 AM
No kidding. :D  I just re-shelved mine from my stack beside me and that will be that.  Moving on to a duo that I wished had done more together outside of the Miles' work:

However, reading the back notes it seems that we are lucky to have this as they took three sessions over a three month span to record this one back in '61.  Oy, George, this one has Waltz for Debby and Elsa, but by this quartet.  I thought I would mention the two Evans' contributions as I believe you are a big fan of his trios versions of them.  I love Adderly's laid "backness" on this album.  Not to say he falls into the background (far from it), but rather he just pulses ahead of Evans' delicate touch without overdoing it.  And as the liner notes point out correctly, this is not an album just filled with ballads.

I picked up the Steve Hoffman gold DCC of that last year. Most enjoyable!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Bogey

Good morning, Karl.  How is "The Pulse" today?

TD

Love this time period of Hancock. 

Karl Henning

Sunny, but still cold.  A nice walk at lunchtime, but I did wear a heavyish coat  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 30, 2017, 08:47:47 AM
Sunny, but still cold.  A nice walk at lunchtime, but I did wear a heavyish coat  8)

Winter doesn't want to let go this year.  >:(

king ubu

Winter? Been sitting outside for a beer after work today. Second week of really warm and mellow spring here - luvin' it!

Now playing, more blues that is jazzy enough to mention here, I guess:

a perfect addition to the magnificient Black and White recordings 52 tracks, just 6 alternates would be around but had to be omitted (the B&W would prob. be around the same, but many more alternates, so they could do three well-filled discs ... and actually I like to hear all of it, usually)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Larry Coryell and Michal Urbaniak - A Quiet Day in Spring (1985)
Orrin Evans - Listen To The Band (2000)

Toshiko Akiyoshi - The Many Sides Of Toshiko (1957)
Sun Ra - Sunrise In Different Dimensions (1981)

kishnevi

Quote from: George on March 30, 2017, 08:50:36 AM
Winter doesn't want to let go this year.  >:(

Winter appeared briefly here but has tucked in its tail and run for cover. Currently it is midnight, and 74°F.
TD
[asin]B000000Y74[/asin]

Bogey

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 30, 2017, 08:04:39 PM
Winter appeared briefly here but has tucked in its tail and run for cover. Currently it is midnight, and 74°F.
TD
[asin]B000000Y74[/asin]

I usually buy anything in the local used bins that has Paul Chambers on it.  I bet this is a beauty.

TD
From May of 1957

'Trane's first solo album.  When friends ask where to start with Coltrane as the leader, I tend to veer them away from later recordings at first.  Rather I tell them, start at the beginning and set them up with this or with Blue Train and let their journey unfold from there.  I've read some reviews that say his early solo efforts sound very similar to rest of bop coming out of that time period.  I get that, but disagree.  I liken it to early and late Beatles.  That is, both different, but the footprints can be followed from start to finish and why would you want to leave any of their genius out of your library.  However, I'll admit some hypocrisy in what I just typed as "very late" Coltrane is still difficult for me to take in large doses as his slabs of sound seem to be inaccessible to me at times. As for this set, it's an excellent album and also features Chambers on bass with a heavy dash of Red Garland on piano for a few tracks. 

My Coltrane library still remains incomplete.  I believe I have much of the essential stuff, but I plan on going through it sequentially and see what holes I am missing.  My problem is that I love his live recordings and this I guess can be an effort both in determining what is out there and on the wallet.  Well, if I am going to spend money I do not have on jazz, might as well bolster up this section of my shelf.