What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

Alan Broadbent - Personal Standards (1997)
Don Braden - After Dark (1994)

Bob Brookmeyer and Kenny Wheeler - Island (2002)

Mirror Image

Now playing:

There are a few recordings that have such a timelessness about them and Hancock's Maiden Voyage is certainly one of those recordings. A jazz masterpiece.

SimonNZ

Samo Salamon - Fall Memories (2015)
Terence Blanchard - Wandering Moon (2000)

NikF

Art Tatum: 20th Century Piano Genius

[asin]B00000473S[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

^Is that the set that has the liner notes which are a transcript of a track by track commentary/conversation between two musicians as they listen to the music? I remember that being fascinating, and wish the idea had caught on.

SimonNZ

Frank Carlberg - The American Dream (2009)
Terri Lyne Carrington - Structure (2004)

NikF

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 11, 2017, 10:29:44 PM
^Is that the set that has the liner notes which are a transcript of a track by track commentary/conversation between two musicians as they listen to the music? I remember that being fascinating, and wish the idea had caught on.

Simon, this is just a set featuring performances from two different Hollywood parties during the 1950s. But the informative notes in the one you mention does sound like a fine idea indeed.

e: the more I thought about what you said the more I was inclined to get the CD back out -

NikF

After Hours: Thad Jones/Frank Wess/Kenny Burrell/Paul Chambers et al.

[asin]B000000Z7T[/asin]

SimonNZ

Quote from: NikF on May 12, 2017, 11:35:22 PM

e: the more I thought about what you said the more I was inclined to get the CD back out -

Aha! Glad to hear it, and hope you enjoy the read.

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 13, 2017, 01:19:05 PM
Aha! Glad to hear it, and hope you enjoy the read.

The original edition of the Bud Powell on Verve set had the same ... an outstandingly presented set of mostly excellent music! I guess its book is around 200 pages. No wonder they cut that for the cheapo reissue (out on Universal Italy). Not sure if there isn't something like that in the Billie Holiday on Verve set as well, would have to check.

Yesterday, upon return from a week full of Slivovitz, Borowicka and other fine things (business off-site/workshop) in Bratislava, these were waiting for me and got a first spin:

Saw Kaja Draksler ten days ago at this year's Taktlos festival in Zurich (with her Octet that has a new double album out on Clean Feed as well) and was impressed enough to order more. Got to spend some more time with all three soon, the octet disc - same as the band's concert - is full of poems set to music and not all that easy to grasp in its entirety without really delving in.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

king ubu

Next round ... again heard the band at Taktlos a week ago, so far only knew their 2016 album on Clean Feed (which is excellent), now got these two in the mail from Joachim Badenhorst, the band's mastermind:

The first one contains some live recordings from 2013 and is titled "Sparrow Mountain", line-up is the same as on the 2016 Clean Feed album, the second one is from 2016 as well, titled "Lover" and with Sam Kulik (t, g) instead of Eirikur Orri Olafsson, the band's original trumpet player. When I saw them live, they had both Kulik (Jesus on trombone) as well as a new trumpet player, the outstanding Jacob Wick. Hopefully, there'll be more recordings to come ... there's a brand new limited vinyl around, but I didn't have enough cash and no bag and it was raining the night of the concert ...
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

now playing:

lost sight of them about ten years ago, although I loved "Feet Music" and even more so "The Bikini Tapes" ... was somewhat less enthusiast about "Happy New Ears!", got to revisit all of them though ... now stacking up what they did in the meantime (the one above, which has two bonus live discs from a night in Japan, plus "Lucidity", "Theater Tilters" and - still waiting for its delivery - "Retrograde").
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

NikF

NikF

The Modern Jazz Quartet: Concorde.

[asin]B000000XZU[/asin]

The Modern Jazz Quartet: Lonely Woman.

[asin]B00DS7Z3F4[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF on May 14, 2017, 09:34:01 AM
The Modern Jazz Quartet: Concorde.

[asin]B000000XZU[/asin]

The Modern Jazz Quartet: Lonely Woman.

[asin]B00DS7Z3F4[/asin]

I love the MJQ. Quite an underrated group IMHO.

NikF

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2017, 10:32:49 AM
I love the MJQ. Quite an underrated group IMHO.

Yeah, I'm enjoying them at the moment. Do you have a particular favourite of their albums?

I've a copy of 'Fontessa' somewhere I was wanting to hear again, but right now I'm in the middle of packing and putting stuff in boxes and I can't find it... So, instead I'm listening to -

The Modern Jazz Quartet: Django.

[asin]B000EMGIJ6[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF on May 14, 2017, 11:12:52 AM
Yeah, I'm enjoying them at the moment. Do you have a particular favourite of their albums?

I've a copy of 'Fontessa' somewhere I was wanting to hear again, but right now I'm in the middle of packing and putting stuff in boxes and I can't find it... So, instead I'm listening to -

The Modern Jazz Quartet: Django.

[asin]B000EMGIJ6[/asin]

I'd say that probably Pyramid is my favorite MJQ album. It's been years since I've heard any of their albums, so this is strictly from memory.

NikF

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2017, 12:31:08 PM
I'd say that probably Pyramid is my favorite MJQ album. It's been years since I've heard any of their albums, so this is strictly from memory.

I'd forgotten all about 'Pyramid' - that's another one I'll need to look for.

SimonNZ

Chick Corea - The Song of Singing (1971)
John Clark - Faces (1980)

Rainer Bruninghaus and Manfred Schoof - Shadows and Smiles (1988)
Tom Van Der Geld - Path (1979)