What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

^ i really enjoyed the Cherry–Sakura album. Pianist and saxophonist understand each other perfectly.

millionrainbows

@sanantonio: all I can say is wow, impressive that you even know him! You must be one hell of a bass player!

This is for King Ubu:

millionrainbows

I just ordered some early Chick Corea: ARC, Early Circle, and IS Sessions. I love this early avant-garde stuff of Corea.. Wow, things have really changed a lot! A good argument could be made that Corea 'sold out,' but I won't accuse him.

SimonNZ

Alek Hidell

Clifford Jordan: Spellbound

[asin]B000000YYK[/asin]

Chick Corea: Piano Improvisations, Vol. 1

[asin]B0000262QX[/asin]
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

San Antone

Lots of jump blues, i.e. Amos Milburn, Louis Jordan, Slim Galliard, Wynonie Harris and more.

Great stuff!

San Antone

Quote from: millionrainbows on October 17, 2017, 12:45:06 PM
@sanantonio: all I can say is wow, impressive that you even know him! You must be one hell of a bass player!

Hah!  I used to be pretty good, but haven't played bass in a long time, my chops on upright are gone.  These days I play a fretless acoustic bass guitar. 

SimonNZ

Pål Thowsen / Jon Christensen / Terje Rypdal / Arild Andersen – No Time For Time (1977)
Alice Coltrane - Turiya Sings (1982)

millionrainbows

I got out this Cecil Taylor. I now seem to understand it better than when I first bought it.

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

San Antone

Cato

Quote from: sanantonio on October 20, 2017, 01:56:23 PM
Some good vocal chops, and nice selection of tunes.

I will pass along your nice comments!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

SimonNZ

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis - The Late Show (1965)
Horace Silver - Silver n Wood (1976)

Lonnie Smith - Move Your Hand (1969)
Louis Smith - Here Comes Louis Smith (1958)

Alek Hidell

Mingusiana:

[asin]B00000I14Z[/asin]

[asin]B0000AKNJL[/asin]
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

^Love Mingus Ah Um but didn't warm to The Great Concert the couple of times I've heard it. Might have to give it another try.

now:

Ambrose Akinmusire - Prelude...To Cora (2008)

millionrainbows

Just received in mail. Avant garde music. Is it jazz? Is it jazz trying to be something else? Was Cecil Taylor right, back in 1955? Did John Coltrane take too much acid? Well, I'm here to find out!

SimonNZ

aligreto

There is great energy and electricity in both of theses recording sessions even if the sound quality is not pristine.

aligreto

Alek Hidell

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 21, 2017, 12:49:46 PM
^[...] didn't warm to The Great Concert the couple of times I've heard it. Might have to give it another try.

I prefer the Town Hall 1964 album over this one, but on the other hand The Great Concert is a more comprehensive document. Worth having both, of course (plus others that cover the Dolphy period)!