What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Alek Hidell on November 21, 2017, 06:26:12 PM
Strjon is a part of Solidification (Solidification is a convocation of Sakuteiki, Chiaroscuro, and Strjon, plus bonus tracks, and a new album called Chron). TBH, the only other Henriksen I've heard is his ECM album Cartography. It seems like I may have heard him playing on someone else's album, but if so I can't recall it right now.

I've just started listening (in the car - I'll pick it up again tomorrow) to Lomahongva, which came highly recommended on the Free Jazz Blog. Sounds good so far, but I've only just begun it.

His style is attractive to me - I'm very fond of Scandinavian jazz, and I love the variety of sounds he gets from his trumpet (though I realize that there could be a good deal of electronic manipulation involved). That Scandinavian kind of "atmospheric," "ambient" sound - Mathias Eick is another exponent of it - appeals to me.

So thanks for the recommendation of World of Glass! I listened to a couple of samples and it sounds like something that could be up my street. I'll make a note of it!

I also have Atmosphères, but I haven't listened to it yet. Let me know how you get on with it!

Thanks for the info. The Solidification set looks tempting but bulky and expensive for mostly music I already have or could get easily on CD. In any case, I too love the Nordic jazz sound. I have a few Mathias Eick as well. You might also enjoy these:

Iro Haarla Vespers

Trygve Seim / Frode Haltli ‎– Yeraz

Christian Wallumrod Ensemble - A Year from Easter

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Alek Hidell

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on November 21, 2017, 06:48:14 PM
Thanks for the info. The Solidification set looks tempting but bulky and expensive for mostly music I already have or could get easily on CD. In any case, I too love the Nordic jazz sound. I have a few Mathias Eick as well. You might also enjoy these:

Iro Haarla Vespers

Trygve Seim / Frode Haltli ‎– Yeraz

Christian Wallumrod Ensemble - A Year from Easter

And I thank you again - I have (and love) Vespers. (Her earlier Northbound, also with Seim and Eick, is very fine too if you haven't heard it.) I've seen both of the other two (I'm a shameless ECM fanboy :)) and will investigate. I like what I've heard by Trygve Seim as a leader (especially Different Rivers) and have two or three of Wallumrød's other albums, so I'm sure these would appeal to me.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Art Farmer - On The Road (1976)
Gary Bartz - JuJu Man (1976)

SimonNZ

Jon Hendricks - Evolution Of The Blues Song (1960)

RIP

San Antone

I really, really like the Monk quartet records but some days I like his solo piano sides even more:

SimonNZ

Jon Hendricks - A Good Git Together (1959)
Count Basie and Big Joe Turner - The Bosses (1973)

Ray Brown - Something For Lester (1978)
John Coltrane - Coltrane (1957)

Beverley Kenney - Come Swing With Me (1956)

Alek Hidell

Pretty decent lineup here [/understatement]. Waldron's piano (i.e., the one he was given to play) sounds terribly out of tune, but of course the playing by all five men is amazing. I sure wish Dolphy and Monk had recorded together at some point.

This one is underway - sounds very fine so far:

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Elvin Jones - Live In Japan 1978
Cedar Walton - The Pentagon (1976)

Kenny Burrell - Tin Tin Deo (1977)
Howard Riley - Consequences (2005)

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

Martial Solal and Niels Henning Ørsted-Pedersen ‎– Movability (1976)
Wadada Leo Smith and Adam Rudolph - Compassion (2003)

SimonNZ

Cecil Taylor and Gigi Gryce - At Newport (1958)
Freddie Hubbard - Super Blue (1978)

San Antone

Alek Hidell

Quote from: San Antonio on November 29, 2017, 10:23:43 AM
Good one.

Indeed. I don't actually have that edition, but I compiled it from Dolphy's Complete Prestige Recordings and have given it that cover in my iPod. ;D

TD:

First listens to both, and both quite enjoyable. I'm not sure why, but I expected the Carroll to be a bit more avant-garde than it actually revealed itself to be. It isn't straight-ahead by any means, but it isn't way out either - maybe somewhat like David Murray's Ming or something by Booker Ervin if he'd lived another decade or so.

SimonNZ

Ann Burton and The Louis van Dyke Trio - Blue Burton (1967)

San Antone

Lush Life
Joe Henderson Plays the Music of Billy Strayhorn

SimonNZ

Jo Stafford - Getting Sentimental Over Tommy Dorsey (1963)
Charlie Rouse and Paul Quinichette - The Chase Is On (1957)

SimonNZ

John Abercrombie and John Scofield - Solar (1984)
Jimmy Smith - Off The Top (1983)

SimonNZ

Buck Clayton - How Hi The Fi (1954)
Lambert, Hendricks and Bavan - Having A Ball At The Village Gate (1963)

Roscoe Mitchell - In Walked Buckner (1999)

SimonNZ

Horace Tapscott - Dial B For Barbra (1980)

pretty sure that opening track called "Lately's Solo" is actually "Milestones"