What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: San Antone on January 17, 2018, 07:09:44 AM
Now

I always liked this record.

Me too, although my girlfriend absolutely hates it.

Long before I heard it, I heard this song that samples it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBPaH6vYZQY
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

San Antone

Quote from: George on January 17, 2018, 08:46:10 AM
Me too, although my girlfriend absolutely hates it.

Long before I heard it, I heard this song that samples it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBPaH6vYZQY

;D 

That's great, to get to Miles from that.

Brian

I love everything the Cannonball Adderley Quintet did, but man... "Jive Samba" and "Sack O' Woe" are mighty similar tunes.

Mirror Image

Now:

Dolphy's first session as a bandleader. Some swingin' stuff for sure. The older I get, the less I like what's happening in jazz nowadays. I've always been drawn to the 50s and 60s bebop/hard-bop/cool jazz scenes more than any other periods.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

San Antone

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2018, 11:20:58 AM
Now:

Dolphy's first session as a bandleader. Some swingin' stuff for sure. The older I get, the less I like what's happening in jazz nowadays. I've always been drawn to the 50s and 60s bebop/hard-bop/cool jazz scenes more than any other styles.

Great one. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on January 17, 2018, 11:25:15 AM
Great one.

Oh yes, I didn't really 'get' Dolphy the first couple of times I heard his music. What's remarkable is he plays 'free' in a sense, but he's always well-aware of the chordal makeup of the piece he's playing. He's almost like the Thelonious Monk of the saxophone given the quirkiness of his playing.

San Antone

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2018, 11:34:03 AM
Oh yes, I didn't really 'get' Dolphy the first couple of times I heard his music. What's remarkable is he plays 'free' in a sense, but he's always well-aware of the chordal makeup of the piece he's playing. He's almost like the Thelonious Monk of the saxophone given the quirkiness of his playing.

Yeah.  His phrasing also has a lot of Charlie Parker in it, but his melodies are very Monkish.  But even far out for Monk.  His Five Spot live recordings are what I listen to most.

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on January 17, 2018, 11:46:00 AM
Yeah.  His phrasing also has a lot of Charlie Parker in it, but his melodies are very Monkish.  But even far out for Monk.  His Five Spot live recordings are what I listen to most.

Definitely a Parker influence for sure, but the uniqueness of his playing is all his own. I wished he had lived longer. I'm not sure how further 'out' he would have gotten since he was a traditionally-minded musician when you get right down to it. He loved chords and hearing chords, so there's no way I believe he'd ever abandon them completely. Of course, this is just pure speculation on my part.

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 16, 2018, 03:22:44 PM

Thelonious Monk - Live At The Jazz Workshop (1964)

I should revisit this one. Huge Monk fan.

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on January 08, 2018, 10:09:49 AM

TOMASZ STANKO QUARTET | SOUL OF THINGS
Tomasz Stanko trumpet
Marcin Wasilewski piano
Slawomir Kurkiewicz double-bass
Michal Miskiewicz drums
Recorded August 2001 at Rainbow Studio, Oslo

I've always liked Tomasz Stanko's recordings, his tone is dark and evocative and he almost always assembles an excellent band:

"I've been playing the same song my whole life," says trumpeter Tomasz Stanko, who puts his claim to the test in thirteen numbered tracks under the title Soul of Things. Together they are not variations on a theme, but are a "balladesque suite" built around the theme of variation.

A great album for sure. I do feel, however, that his masterpiece is Suspended Night. I remember when this album came out, I must have had it on repeat for about four-five days straight.

SimonNZ

Andrew Hill - Live At Montreux (1975)
Bill Evans - The Secret Sessions At The Village Vanguard, disc three

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2018, 11:34:03 AM

I've long wished that Monk and Dolphy had recorded something together. Love all that classic Dolphy you're listening to, MI.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2018, 01:47:58 PM
A great album for sure. I do feel, however, that his masterpiece is Suspended Night. I remember when this album came out, I must have had it on repeat for about four-five days straight.

Suspended Night is great for sure. I've found, however, that I like Lontano even better.

TD - a Schweizer-a-thon:

Great fun, these, especially those with the two comedians Sommer and Bennink.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara