What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alek Hidell on January 17, 2018, 04:20:26 PMI've long wished that Monk and Dolphy had recorded something together. Love all that classic Dolphy you're listening to, MI.

Personally, I don't think the pairing of Monk and Dolphy would have worked. On paper, it sounds like a match made in jazz heaven, but, alas, I believe the two would be stumbling blocks for each other. You just can't have two quirky, completely individualistic musicians like Monk and Dolphy performing together, because this would bring an imbalance I believe. Monk or Dolphy would be in a more submissive role and we can't have this happening! Both of them can't go off to la-la land and leave the band behind. :)

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2018, 04:30:36 PM
Personally, I don't think the pairing of Monk and Dolphy would have worked. On paper, it sounds like a match made in jazz heaven, but, alas, I believe the two would be stumbling blocks for each other. You just can't have two quirky, completely individualistic musicians like Monk and Dolphy performing together, because this would bring an imbalance I believe. Monk or Dolphy would be in a more submissive role and we can't have this happening! Both of them can't go off to la-la land and leave the band behind. :)

You may be right, of course. But I would like to have heard them give it a try, anyway! :)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Mirror Image

Quote from: George on January 03, 2018, 05:58:34 PM

I was only able to get one song into this before my girlfriend got home, so I will have to listen to the rest tomorrow night. Incredible sound, though.

A truly remarkable album. I own it both of LP and CD. Certainly one of my favorites from Evans, but that's a very long list to begin with. ;)

Brian

I like Dolphy best when he's the lone weirdo in a group of old-school swingers, when, say, Roy Eldridge is boppin' it and then blammo! Dolphy! Or when a Mingus big band arrangement is chugging along in its sardonic sexy rage and then boom! anarchy!

In fact I think - that Mingus/Eldridge session from maybe 1960, after Newport Rebels, where Dolphy is there crazying it up, if Dolphy and Eldridge had gone into full-on shoot-out mode trading licks back and forth, that would probably have produced just about my platonic ideal jazz track.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on January 17, 2018, 08:02:22 PM
I like Dolphy best when he's the lone weirdo in a group of old-school swingers, when, say, Roy Eldridge is boppin' it and then blammo! Dolphy! Or when a Mingus big band arrangement is chugging along in its sardonic sexy rage and then boom! anarchy!

Yes!  Quirky individual or not, he played well with others  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

San Antone

I've been listening to the Stefano Battaglia Trio's latest ECM recording, In The Morning, which focuses on the music of Alec Wilder. It is excellent and then I went back and have been listening to the other five records he's released on ECM.

Here's my blog overview of all of them.

SimonNZ

Harold Rumsey - Lighthouse At Laguna (1956)
Red Norvo - Dancing On The Ceiling (1955)

Sam Rivers – Black Africa! Villalago (1977)

NikF

Eddy Louiss Trio: Nardis

[asin]B00002R0OF[/asin]

Rene Thomas & Bobby Jaspar: Thomas Jaspar Quintet

The former was  recommended to me some time ago by king ubu and it's only now that I'm getting around to properly listening. The latter is more familiar and goes back to my younger days. Hahaha.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Alek Hidell

Was listening to Johann Sebastian pretty much all day at my desk, but I did also listen to this in the car:

One of Ware's best-sounding albums (of the ones I've heard). I don't mean to damn with faint praise: the music's good, too.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Spineur

At the border of jazz: Tigran Hamasyan A Fable

[asin]B004GBP98W[/asin]

San Antone

Quote from: Spineur on January 19, 2018, 03:22:06 AM
At the border of jazz: Tigran Hamasyan A Fable

True; I've listened to a bunch of his recordings.

An Ancient Observer, 2017
Mockroot, 2015
Luys I Luso, 2015

But the music is very good, imo.

then there's this

Tigran Mansurian: Requiem, 2017

Not jazz, but his name is Tigran.   8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

San Antone

Been listening to a lot of bebop this week, and continuing with that now. I created a playlist with the greats, Bird, Dizzy, Bud, Monk and some others at the height of their playing.  Really enjoying listening to it.

SimonNZ

Duke Ellington - At The Bal Masque (1959)
Herb Ellis and Ray Brown - Soft Shoe (1973)

Jo Jones and Milt Hinton - Percussion And Bass (1960)
Dollar Brand - African Marketplace (1980)

Alek Hidell

And then the girl from Ipanema went walkin' ...

(Incidental question for anyone who knows: how is the name "Joao" pronounced?)

SimonNZ

Quote from: Alek Hidell on January 19, 2018, 05:08:40 PM

(Incidental question for anyone who knows: how is the name "Joao" pronounced?)

I couldn't swear to it, but checking I found this page with audiofiles from four native speakers pronouncing it:

https://forvo.com/word/jo%C3%A3o_gilberto/

now:

John Handy - Live At Monterey Jazz Festival (1965)
John Handy - New View (1967)

Don Friedman - A Day In The City (1961)
Steve Coleman - The Tao Of Mad Phat (1993)

Alek Hidell

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 19, 2018, 05:18:52 PM
I couldn't swear to it, but checking I found this page with audiofiles from four native speakers pronouncing it:

https://forvo.com/word/jo%C3%A3o_gilberto/

Thanks, Simon! Well, that's easier than I thought - it's pretty much pronounced as it's spelled. :) I was a little surprised to hear that Gilberto is pronounced with a soft g sound - I would have expected more of an h sound ... as it would be in Spanish (I think).

SimonNZ

Jan Garbarek - Afric Pepperbird (1970)
James Spaulding - Gotstabe A Better Way (1988)

Annie Ross and Zoot Sims - A Gasser (1959)
Klezermerson - Amon: john Zorn's Book Of Angels, Vol.24 (2015)

king ubu

Quote from: NikF on January 18, 2018, 11:56:15 AM
Eddy Louiss Trio: Nardis

[asin]B00002R0OF[/asin]

Rene Thomas & Bobby Jaspar: Thomas Jaspar Quintet

The former was  recommended to me some time ago by king ubu and it's only now that I'm getting around to properly listening. The latter is more familiar and goes back to my younger days. Hahaha.

Hope you like it! Both great records in my book!

Btw, San Antone, I ordered some missing Stanko ECM discs in the past days, fillig up the almost ten year gap I have between "Suspended Night" and "Wislawa".

Thread duty:

Portuguese trumpet player Susana Santos Silva was one of my 2017 discoveries ... I was most impressed with the duo album she made with Kaja Draksler (another 2017 discovery in my house, though a friend has been mentioning her for a while, just hadn't come around before). Then, Silva was on the most recent Clean Feed discs by Jonas Kullhammar/Espen Aalberg/Torbjörn Zetterberg (they go as "Basement Sessions", the latest ist Vol. 4) as well as on that disc by oddly named group LAMA which had invited Joachim Badenhorst (ts/clars) as a guest (actually sticking to cl/bcl for the disc) ... wasn't aware of the trio LAMA before, but checking out what else Silva has done for Clean Feed, I stacked up a nice little order, including three more LAMA discs (the above, one w/Chris Speed, and the first one they made w/Badenhorst), one by Adam Lane's Full Throttle Orchestra, a duo with Zetterberg, a trio with Zetterberg and Hampus Lindwall, one with De Beren Gieren (a Belgian - I assume - trio), and finally one with Lotte Anker, Sten Sandell, Zetterberg and Jon Fält. Looks like a great little package and I'll be exploring it over the course of the next weeks, in between too many live concerts  ;D

Next one from the stack:

Susana plays just one solo, but it has all the usual qualities of her playing: wonderful sound, great melodic ideas, some quirkiness ... her playing is so lyrical ... and did I mention her sound?  :-*
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

San Antone

Going through this set disc by disc -

Now, Disc 2a

Discounting the advantage of the studio recordings' focus on originals, this box is the best document of this quintet.  Unparalleled jazz performances.