What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: San Antone on January 17, 2018, 11:46:00 AM
Yeah.  His [Eric Dolphy] phrasing also has a lot of Charlie Parker in it, but his melodies are very Monkish.  But even far out for Monk.  His Five Spot live recordings are what I listen to most.

I had forgotten that Eric Dolphy is also on the John Coltrane Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings.  Some of his best playing, especially on bass clarinet.

king ubu

Making my way through this here set for the first time:

Getz, as so often in his late years, is in splendid shape, the rhythm section (Jim McNeely, George Mraz and Victor Lewis) is offering great support ... and Chet is quite alright on his tunes, not fluffing too many notes on trumpet, his sound quite well-shaped, his lines mostly quite well thought-out ... and he does some pretty nice singing, too. He is on less than half of the tunes though, which were recorded in two concerts on one night (on the first disc, he appears on the last track only, on the second he's on the first three tracks which form the continuation of the first show, then for the beginning of the second show and second half of disc two, he's absent again, but then present on all but one tracks on the third disc which holds the majority of the second show).

Not sure why exactly it took me so many years to come around to buying this - I think I read a dismissive review back in my early years listening to jazz (this set was released in 1998). Seven tracks were on the initial LP release in 1983, then on CD in 1987, six more were put out on a second CD - this three disc set contains around two hours and fifty minutes of music and eight tracks that were previously unissued - only half of "Line for Lyons", the final duo performance (Stan and Chet sans rhythm section) could not be found.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Peggy Lee - Sings With Benny Goodman (1957)

king ubu

Took me a while to figure out Tom Harrell's quiet but stunningly colourful art ... saw him live twice, and both times it was somewhat difficult to watch as well as from outcome ... but the quintet gig (first one I saw was with additional horns, septet or octet, around 2000 or 2001), some 13 or 14 years ago, included some admirable stuff - one of the highlights I remember is a duet with Ugonna Okegwo on bass (he's been with Harrell for ages now - I guess he went straight from Jacky Terrasson to Harrell ... at that same festival I heard the larger Harrell band, Terrasson's trio was also appeaering, still with Leon Parker on drums, but Okegwo had already moved on).

Either way, this is a lavish production, probably somewhere between Charlie Parker w/strings and the musical landscapes of Maria Schneider's ... some of it works, perfectly well, some of it less so. Not one of his best albums, but worth listening if you find it (I think by now all of Harrell's RCA/BMG catalogue is OOP, alas, I have plenty of gaps there ... luckily HighNote keeps releasing new stuff by Harrell, including, in 2015, another - beautiful, better than "Paradise" I think - strings album, "First Impressions")
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 21, 2018, 07:42:05 PM

Peggy Lee - Sings With Benny Goodman (1957)

This weekend and continuing into today I too have been delving into the Great American Songbook with a variety of singers/songwriters.  Currently been listening to Chris Connor sing Gershwin.

king ubu

I love that Gershwin album by Chris Connor! (Love Chris Connor anyway!  :-* )
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

I moved my stereo stack downstairs by my main desk and have been revisiting my CD collection.  It is very enjoyable to redicover CDs I forgot all about. 

Like this one:

Bill Frisell, Joe Lovano, and Dewey Redman join Paul Motian on one of his excellent Winter and Winter recordings.

So good.

king ubu

My late night programme yesterday - Tom Harrell is excellent on both!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

TATI
Enrico Rava | Stefano Bollani | Paul Motian

One of ECM's best releases, imo, this recording features some interesting tunes and wonderful playing by all involved.  For example the tune that is playing as I type, "E lucevan le stelle" from Tosca.  Enrico Rava arranged it for this trio, sans bass, very successfully.

SimonNZ

Gil Melle - Five Impressions Of Color (1955)

San Antone

Miles Davis Quintet : In Person Friday and Saturday Nights at the Blackhawk, Complete
Miles Davis – trumpet
Hank Mobley – tenor saxophone
Wynton Kelly – piano
Paul Chambers – bass
Jimmy Cobb – drums

Disc One
"Oleo" (Sonny Rollins) – 6:56
"No Blues" – 17:13
"Bye Bye (Theme)" – 2:54
"If I Were a Bell" (Frank Henry Loesser) – 12:43
"Fran-Dance" – 7:38
"On Green Dolphin Street" (Bronislau Kaper, Ned Washington) – 12:12
"The Theme" – :44

SimonNZ

Hugh Masekela - Home Is Where The Music Is (1972)
Hugh Masekela - No Borders (2016)

RIP

HIPster

Quote from: San Antone on January 22, 2018, 05:19:28 PM
I moved my stereo stack downstairs by my main desk and have been revisiting my CD collection.  It is very enjoyable to redicover CDs I forgot all about. 

Like this one:

Bill Frisell, Joe Lovano, and Dewey Redman join Paul Motian on one of his excellent Winter and Winter recordings.

So good.

Indeed it is!  Love that release.  :)

Pulled out a few discs this afternoon:

Earlier ~

[asin]B004ENAC4I[/asin]
I especially love the Isle of Wight performance.

Now ~

[asin]B0030ZN0XG[/asin]
A vibrant meeting between two super groups.  Outstanding.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

SimonNZ

Annie Ross - Annie By Candlelight (1956)

Alek Hidell

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

San Antone

Quote from: Alek Hidell on January 25, 2018, 07:34:35 PM
Over the last coupla days ...

I've already talked about how much I enjoy the Tomasz Stanko recordings, but that Codona collection is also great.

SimonNZ

Love those Codona albums (and the Arthur Blythe). Makes me want to play one now:

Codona - Codona 2 (1981)

Alek Hidell

Glad I could be so inspirational to you guys. :)

Today:

The last of these is one that should certainly be better known - it's an absolutely terrific album. Bobby Wellins' playing on the haunting "Starless and Bible Black" is a particular highlight.

Oh, and also:

Bobby Previte, The 23 Constellations of Joan Miró. Strange, beautiful, almost unclassifiable music.

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Quote from: Alek Hidell on January 26, 2018, 05:33:28 PM

The last of these is one that should certainly be better known - it's an absolutely terrific album. Bobby Wellins' playing on the haunting "Starless and Bible Black" is a particular highlight.

Coincidentally I heard about this album for the first time just a couple of weeks ago from some random person's list of favorites. And so, playing now:

aligreto

Quote from: Alek Hidell on January 26, 2018, 05:33:28 PM

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 26, 2018, 11:53:03 PM
Coincidentally I heard about this album for the first time just a couple of weeks ago from some random person's list of favorites. And so, playing now:

I would be interested to hear that one; I must try to track it down.