Roots Magic - Last Kind Words (2017)

Artem

Two rather different disks.

[asin]B000PMFNTQ[/asin][asin]B000000YUY[/asin]

NikF

Quote from: Artem on January 28, 2018, 03:55:02 AM
Two rather different disks.

[asin]B000PMFNTQ[/asin][asin]B000000YUY[/asin]

Yeah, that Jim Hall album is cool - he was really getting into his stride then in that part of is career.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

king ubu

Lots of Chicago tenors lately (Clifford Jordan, John Gilmore, Johnny Griffin, Gene Ammons, Eddie who?) ... but right now this one, after the sad news a few days ago:

Never saw Hugh Masekela live, alas ... lots of what he put out is way too cute for my taste, but "Home Is Where the Music Is" is one of my desert island albums, and the live recordings from the Village Gate, 1965, on the above disc (it contains two LPs minus one track omitted for time reasons ... in 1996, CDs were shorter still, but the world had already switched to colour nonetheless) is mighty good, too.

Reading of his death also reminded me of this photo I took, a shop window in the beautiful town of Ravenna, where Masekela played at the 2016 festival ... but I was there to hear Louis Moholo a few days prior or later:

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Alek Hidell

Quote from: aligreto on January 27, 2018, 06:31:39 AM

I would be interested to hear that one; I must try to track it down.

It shouldn't be too hard to find. I see it for sale on Amazon (US) right now. It's had at least three different covers (I posted one, SimonNZ posted another, and what's available on Amazon is yet one more), but AFAIK it's the same recording.

SimonNZ, what did you think of it?
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Ray Nance - Body And Soul (1969)

could have been a fine album indeed if it was just the moving performances of jazz standards, but the misguided upbeat pop covers ruin it

SimonNZ

Quote from: Alek Hidell on January 28, 2018, 01:29:34 PM
It shouldn't be too hard to find. I see it for sale on Amazon (US) right now. It's had at least three different covers (I posted one, SimonNZ posted another, and what's available on Amazon is yet one more), but AFAIK it's the same recording.

SimonNZ, what did you think of it?

I had to play it by searching track by track on YT, which isnt the ideal way to hear an album, but nevertheless was impressed and will purchase the next copy I see.

However: great music making though it was, I didn't see what any of it had to do with the Dylan Thomas work which I know very well and think has a very different "soundtrack" in my mind.

Made me want to go and relisten to the wonderful and fun recording of the radio play made by Thomas and friends (vastly superior to the sombre and humourless Richard Burton version).

king ubu

Bobby Wellins (the tenor dude on that Stan Tracey album) turned into one of the (unsung) major jazz voices of Europe in later years ... very much worth checking out! He died in late 2016, alas (Guardian obituary), but the recordings from his last two decades or so is quite amazing. Try his Billie Holiday hommage "The Satin Album", or "Don't Worry 'bout Me" (both 1996), or the more recent releases on the Trio label, "When the Sun Comes Out" (rec. live), "Snapshot" or "Time Gentlemen, Please". He's a fantastic improviser with a wealth of ideas and a delivery that rivals the likes of Sonny Rollins or Lee Konitz.

Thread duty - perfect late night music:

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Karl Henning

Eric Dolphy
"Something Sweet, Something Tender"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

San Antone

Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960

This album which was recorded in 1959, but the session recordings had been lost. The music had never been heard until its release in June of 2017, the centennial of Monk's birth. Originally recorded as a film score for the Roger Vadim film of the same name, the sessons are a free wheeling traversal of the Monk songbook by his then working band: Charlie Rouse, Sam Jones & Art Taylor, plus special guest saxophonist Barney Wilen.

San Antone

Ornette Coleman Trio : At the Golden Circle Stockholm,  vol. 1
Ornette Coleman — alto saxophone, violin, trumpet
David Izenzon — double bass
Charles Moffett — drums

This was the next great group that Coleman formed, this time as a trio with no second horn.  Thsi trio issued four releases, although the Town Hall concert incorporated a string trio at times.  There are two volumes of At the Golden Circle Stockholm, and the one I haven't heard but ordered today is the Chappaqua Suite. From what I've read, it will be a good listen.

These along with the Elvin Jones/Jimmy Garrison quartet with Dewey Redman (New York is Now, Love Call) are some of the best that Ornette recorded.

SimonNZ

San Antone

SimonNZ

Ray Nance ‎– Huffin' 'N' Puffin' (1971)
Charlie Rouse - Unsung Hero (1961)

Eliane Elias - Fantasia (1992)

Alek Hidell

Busy moving at work today (from a temporary location back to my former home, now renovated), so not much listening time. I did play these, albeit as kind of background music.

Not as background music:

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Gary Burton and Makoto Ozone — Face to Face (1995)
Marc Johnson - Second Sight (1987)

Strange: I loved the first of Marc Johnson's Bass Desires albums. But that one I found quite unexpectedly bad.

Dancing Divertimentian

Donny McCaslin, Casting for Gravity.

[asin]B0090PX5VW[/asin]
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Alek Hidell

San Antone

Dave Holland Quartet : Extensions

Dave Holland bass
Steve Coleman alto saxophone
Kevin Eubanks guitar
Marvin "Smitty" Smith drums