What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alek Hidell

Quote from: San Antone on February 11, 2018, 05:46:37 AM
Listening to Kind of Blue was inspired by my re-reading the Ashley Kahn book on the making of this classic recording.  2019 will be the 60th anniversary of its release, and what is amazing is how well it holds up.  No, that is an understatement - not only does it hold up but it still sounds current and remains a document of jazz composing and performance at the highest level.

Yeah. KoB is simply the greatest record ever made. IMO, of course - but I will brook no argument. ;D
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Abdullah Ibrahim - The Journey (1977)

HIPster

Anouar Brahem - Blue Maqams

[asin]B074STB1Y1[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

San Antone

Quote from: HIPster on February 11, 2018, 06:33:07 PM
Anouar Brahem - Blue Maqams

[asin]B074STB1Y1[/asin]

Love it - and his other recordings, too.

San Antone

On A Monday Evening
Bill Evans | Eddie Gomez | Eliot Zigmund

Baron Scarpia

Have become engrossed in the Clifford Brown-Max Roach recordings, the three studio albums "Clifford Brown and Max Roach," "Study in Brown" and "Clifford Brown and Max Roach Incorporated."

San Antone

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 12, 2018, 08:39:10 AM
Have become engrossed in the Clifford Brown-Max Roach recordings, the three studio albums "Clifford Brown and Max Roach," "Study in Brown" and "Clifford Brown and Max Roach Incorporated."

That was a super band and those recordings are some of the best hard bop out there.  Enjoy!

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: San Antone on February 12, 2018, 08:47:59 AM
That was a super band and those recordings are some of the best hard bop out there.  Enjoy!

Quite so. I'm a long time Sonny Rollins Fan and know the later recordings with Rollins (Pent-Up House, etc). Inextricably the older sessions with Harold Land were never on my radar.

San Antone

Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Bill evans | Scott LaFaro | Paul Motian

Never get tired of this one.

SimonNZ

Eberhard Weber - Later That Evening (1982)

San Antone

San Antone

Miles Davis : Someday My Prince Will Come

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Hank Mobley
Wynton Kelly
Paul Chambers
Jimmy Cobb

Alek Hidell

[Keith Rowe/John Tilbury: Duos for Doris]

May play this one again tomorrow. I was listening on earphones at work and I kept thinking that long stretches of it were quiet to the point of complete inaudibility. Then when I played another album I realized that I had the volume turned down too low. ::) OTOH, I think there are indeed some very quiet passages in it. I have to admit I don't always understand what Rowe is trying to do in his music, but I do like to listen to things like this (and AMM, of which he was a longtime member) once in a while.

Hadn't heard either of these in a while. Evidently I'm on something of a Maneri family kick lately.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

San Antone

king ubu

been checking out the latest by Tomasz Stanko recently - good!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

San Antone

Quote from: king ubu on February 14, 2018, 05:43:51 AM

been checking out the latest by Tomasz Stanko recently - good!

I am glad you are enjoying it.  I love what he's been doing.

TD

Hands : Dave Holland and Pepe Habichuela

Combines two things I really like: Flamenco guitar by Pepe Habichuela and Dave Holland's bass playing.