What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Some of them are Emily Dickinson, but there are numerous other sources, including Sun Ra (on Compass)
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

SimonNZ

Nils Petter Molvaern - Hamada (2009)
Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis - Goin' to the Meeting (1962)

Dorothy Ashby - Django/Misty (1984)
John Lewis - Grand Encounter (1956)

San Antone

Alek Hidell

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Ran Blake - Cocktails At Dusk: A Noir Tribute To Chris Connor (2014)
Keith Jarrett and Charlie Haden - Last Dance (2014)

Art Blakey - Oh By The Way (1982)

^superb!

Spineur

Ellington & Hawkins

[asin]B000VS6ONS[/asin]

San Antone

Quote from: Spineur on March 06, 2018, 12:42:20 PM
Ellington & Hawkins

[asin]B000VS6ONS[/asin]

Good one! I like all those Ellington duets, e.g. the one with Louis Armstrong is a fave.

TD:

These CD compliations inspired by the Ken Burns jazz film are really good.

San Antone

Jelly Roll Morton : His Complete Victor Recordings

A 5CD collection issued to acknowledge Morton's presumed 100th anniversary.  With restored sound and a meticulously documented discography,  Keepnews hit it out of the park with this one.

George

Quote from: San Antone on March 07, 2018, 02:25:52 AM

Jelly Roll Morton : His Complete Victor Recordings

A 5CD collection issued to acknowledge Morton's presumed 100th anniversary.  With restored sound and a meticulously documented discography,  Keepnews hit it out of the park with this one.

Did it stone you, to your soul?

$:)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

San Antone

Quote from: George on March 07, 2018, 06:14:29 AM
Did it stone you, to your soul?

$:)

;D    I'm reading a biography of him and he was a character; good music, too.

TD

George

Still working my way through this box. Although I am enjoying it more than the first time around, I am still not "getting it" like I get the regular albums from the Second Great Quartet.

What are others thoughts on this set/performances? 

San Antone

Quote from: George on March 07, 2018, 07:25:39 AM

Still working my way through this box. Although I am enjoying it more than the first time around, I am still not "getting it" like I get the regular albums from the Second Great Quartet.

What are others thoughts on this set/performances?

This box captured Miles' second great quintet when they were at their early peak,  but still mostly playing the standards that the Coltrane quintet played.  However, this band's style was quite abstracted from the earlier hard bop group.  That abstracting style is both this band's greatest strength and for some, it's biggest weakness.

I love this band, and this box is great, but I can understand your difficulty with it since it is harder to follow than the other group.  You might prefer the Blackhawk live box more.

San Antone

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: San Antone on March 07, 2018, 07:21:31 AM
;D    I'm reading a biography of him and he was a character; good music, too.

TD

For some reason, I find Charlie Parker unlistenable.

San Antone

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 07, 2018, 09:54:30 AM
For some reason, I find Charlie Parker unlistenable.

Interesting, but not surprising since bebop was seen to be somewhat of a break from the jazz tradition at the time. 

What is some of your favorite jazz?

Bebop did not last very long, and while jazz is a cumulative genre, i.e. earlier styles are not replaced by newers ones; all styles continue to co-exist along with all others - bebop seems to have fewer adherents today.  While it influenced how soloists played, it morphed into hard bop and other hyphenated versions which most people listen to instead of bebop itself.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: San Antone on March 07, 2018, 11:46:23 AM
Interesting, but not surprising since bebop was seen to be somewhat of a break from the jazz tradition at the time. 

What is some of your favorite jazz?

Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis Quintet, Thelonious Monk, Clifford Brown-Max Roach Quintet, Art Tatum, Bill Evans, Bud Powell, Duke Ellington, only more recently got interested in Coleman Hawkins. Mostly focused the 50's. Maybe my problem with Parker is related to the fact that I'm luke warm on Coltrane.

If I try to put my finger on it, I'd say there is some truth to the saying that music is in the space between the notes. In Charlie Parker, there is such a flood of ideas that there is no space between the notes.

I have the collection of Savoy recordings. On the first track he is a side-man and seems to be restrained. I thought, that's great. But then on the next track the shredding starts and it never stops!

San Antone

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 07, 2018, 11:55:37 AM
Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis Quintet, Thelonious Monk, Clifford Brown-Max Roach Quintet, Art Tatum, Bill Evans, Bud Powell, Duke Ellington, only more recently got interested in Coleman Hawkins. Mostly focused the 50's. Maybe my problem with Parker is related to the fact that I'm luke warm on Coltrane.

If I try to put my finger on it, I'd say there is some truth to the saying that music is in the space between the notes. In Charlie Parker, there is such a flood of ideas that there is no space between the notes.

I have the collection of Savoy recordings. On the first track he is a side-man and seems to be restrained. I thought, that's great. But then on the next track the shredding starts and it never stops!

I get you. 

Parker is explosive and part of his appeal (for those who like it) is the very thing you don't like, i.e. the rapid fire endless stream of melodic improvisation.  His solos are amazing in how he builds the energy without employing licks/cliches (they're cliches now, but not when he played them).  His intuitive grasp of the harmonic bed to plant his wildly expressive lines can be overwhelming.  But also sometimes exhausting.  I get the feeling that he was much better live than on record.

The great thing about jazz is that there are so many styles, and you've found a sweet spot in your listening, there is no reason to force yourself to try to listen to someting if it doesn't appeal to you.

I used to never listen to early New Orleans jazz; now it is what I listen to the most.  But I haven't stopped listening to electric Miles. 

George

Quote from: San Antone on March 07, 2018, 07:39:25 AM
This box captured Miles' second great quintet when they were at their early peak,  but still mostly playing the standards that the Coltrane quintet played.  However, this band's style was quite abstracted from the earlier hard bop group.  That abstracting style is both this band's greatest strength and for some, it's biggest weakness.

I love this band, and this box is great, but I can understand your difficulty with it since it is harder to follow than the other group.  You might prefer the Blackhawk live box more.

Thanks. I generally shy away from live albums. I only picked up the Plugged Nickel because it was so revered.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: San Antone on March 07, 2018, 12:05:58 PMThe great thing about jazz is that there are so many styles, and you've found a sweet spot in your listening, there is no reason to force yourself to try to listen to someting if it doesn't appeal to you.

Expanding horizons is good, but I have to realize there are some things I won't ever get. Maybe that's Parker.

Alek Hidell

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara