Our Thing : Joe Henderson
Joe Henderson – tenor saxophone
Kenny Dorham – trumpet
Andrew Hill – piano
Eddie Khan – bass
Pete La Roca – drums

Spineur

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on March 02, 2018, 07:48:24 PM
One of my favorite albums and vocalists of all time! The voice is incredible and the choice of material is a wonderful departure from the tired old warhorses. I actually never liked Emily Dickinson until I heard her poems sung by Ms. Abbhuel! Instrumentation is very cool too (Compass features not one, but two clarinets). Get her other ones on ECM, you won't be disappointed.
So I followed your advice and got a couple of her albums as well as François Couturier albums.

[asin]B000GKH23W[/asin]

[asin]B003PCL12G[/asin]

Both Abbuehl and Couturier have a jazz alternative style which I really enjoy.

SimonNZ

Lem Winchester and Ramsey Lewis Trio ‎– Tribute To Clifford Brown (1958)

SimonNZ

Quote from: Alek Hidell on March 18, 2018, 01:40:33 PM

Clean Feed Records has reached a tipping point for me where the scattered few I've heard have all been so interesting that I want to get a better sense of the whole label.

How was that one?

George

Only my second spin of this and already lovin it!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

San Antone

Jack Teagarden : Mis'ry and the Blues

Alek Hidell

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 19, 2018, 08:21:00 PM
Clean Feed Records has reached a tipping point for me where the scattered few I've heard have all been so interesting that I want to get a better sense of the whole label.

How was that one?

Yeah, Clean Feed is a great jazz label: great music and almost always great album covers. I enjoy the González album very much. One slightly negative impression I have, however - and I may be completely wrong here, I need to re-listen - is that Eskelin keeps kind of a low profile on the recording. But, again, I need to give it another spin.

Some other Clean Feed faves:

[asin]B00KTP93HM[/asin] [asin]B006DLIEBW[/asin] [asin]B00G1V15OC[/asin] [asin]B000SOMEEI[/asin] [asin]B009KG32BO[/asin] [asin]B0044DI5A6[/asin] [asin]B000E0LCIK[/asin] [asin]B0009V0ZZK[/asin]

Anyway, TD:

The first reminded me that I wanted to hear the second (the common denominator being Gustafsson, obviously), but I played Sibelius 1 (Segerstam) in between. That made for something of a contrast. :D
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Thanks for that. I've heard the Gerry Hemingway but not the others. I'll check them out.

now:

Helen Merrill - With Strings (1955)

which opens with a version of one of my favorite songs, "Lilac Wine", which I was previously unaware of

San Antone

Anat Fort Trio With Gianluigi Trovesi : Birdwatching
Personnel: Anat Fort: piano; Gary Wang: double bass; Roland Schneider: drums; Gianluigi Trovesi: alto clarinet.

"Israeli pianist/composer Anat Fort augments her longstanding trio with bassist Gary Wang and drummer Roland Schneider by adding Italian reedman Gianluigi Trovesi (who plays alto clarinet throughout) for her third ECM album, following 2010's And If. The trio had long been based in New York City, but since Fort 's return to Israel and Schneider's return to Berlin the band is now spread between three countries—which only makes their reunions more joyful. Fort and Trovesi first played together as a duo at Italy's Novara Festival, followed by the clarinetist joining the trio for concerts in Tel Aviv."

Alek Hidell

Mentioned it yesterday, listened today:

These, aussi:

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Cortex - Avant-Garde Party Music (2018)

Alek Hidell

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 21, 2018, 08:38:22 PM

Cortex - Avant-Garde Party Music (2018)

Hmm. You'll have to let me know your thoughts on that one. Know nothing about it.

Today was:

San Antone

Masterpieces By Ellington
Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn – piano
Cat Anderson (tracks 1-4, 6 & 7), Shorty Baker, Mercer Ellington (tracks 1-4), Fats Ford (tracks 1-4), Ray Nance, Nelson Williams - trumpet
Lawrence Brown (tracks 1-4), Tyree Glenn (tracks 1-4), Quentin Jackson, Britt Woodman (tracks 5-7) - trombone
Jimmy Hamilton - clarinet, tenor saxophone
Johnny Hodges (tracks 1-4), Willie Smith (tracks 5-7) - alto saxophone
Russell Procope - alto saxophone, clarinet
Paul Gonsalves - tenor saxophone
Harry Carney - baritone saxophone, bass clarinet (track 2)
Wendell Marshall - bass
Sonny Greer (tracks 1-4), Louis Bellson (tracks 5-7) - drums
Yvonne Lanauze - vocals

"For the first time in his recording career, Ellington was able to forego the three-minutes-and-change restrictions in running time of the 78-rpm disc — he and the band rose to the occasion".  The album features a full length version of Ellington's classic 'Mood Indigo'. No longer constrained by recording limitations, 'Mood Indigo' runs for over 15 minutes.

San Antone

Bill Frisell has released and is releasing the most engaging music I've heard in a long time.  I recently listened to the duo/quartet 2CD recording he made with Jim Hall; the quartet adds Joey Baron and Scott Colley.  Also a recording, Hemispheres, with Michael Gibbs which features Frisell with a small orchestra, arrangements by Gibbs, backing him up.

His latest is Music IS:

It is really interesting and worth checking out.

I also began watching a documentary about him and he comes off as a truly humble but very gifted musician.

George

First spin.

Found this today in a used shop for only $10.  8)

SimonNZ

Quote from: Alek Hidell on March 22, 2018, 09:50:15 PM
Hmm. You'll have to let me know your thoughts on that one. Know nothing about it.

Not as Avant-Garde (or Party) as the title suggests. Closer to the general ballpark of something like Point Of Departure. A fine album, but not downright essential.

now:

Angels 9 - Injuries (2014)

San Antone

Quote from: George on March 23, 2018, 11:41:44 AM

First spin.

Found this today in a used shop for only $10.  8)

that's some good stuff.

George

Alek Hidell

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 23, 2018, 02:16:15 PM
Not as Avant-Garde (or Party) as the title suggests. Closer to the general ballpark of something like Point Of Departure. A fine album, but not downright essential.

Thanks. Looks like I'll pass on it.

Quotenow:

Angels 9 - Injuries (2014)

Pounds the table! as someone we know would say. When I first heard that, I realized it had been a long time since I'd been as excited about an album as I was about that one. Of course, YMMV. But I absolutely love it.

SimonNZ

^Yeah, its interesting the way that adding a dash of Balkan folk can really invigorate music of any genre.

now:

Turbamulta - s/t (2018)