What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on March 27, 2018, 04:24:48 AM
Wait, Ron Carter never wanted that to happen!

Good to see you're still around - I was starting to worry.

now:

Gene Krupa - Quartet (1955)
Joe McPhee - Sweet Freedom Now What? (1995)

Alek Hidell

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 27, 2018, 02:38:29 PM
Good to see you're still around - I was starting to worry.

Moi aussi. Good to see you here again, king ubu.

Lessee. Today, jazz-wise, was:

I believe that was all. I also listened to some Vivaldi (Café Zimmermann) and, in the car, some of the Skrowaczewski box set.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

George

Listened to this lovely mastering of this great album tonight.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

San Antone

Quote from: George on March 27, 2018, 06:04:09 PM

Always a good thing to do.  Mono?

George

Quote from: Marcabru on March 27, 2018, 06:35:30 PM

I have the mono, but this time was the luxurious sound of the MFSL SACD in stereo.

king ubu

Thanks!  :)

I was at the festival in St. Johann in Tirol a couple of weeks ago and somehow never made it back onto GMG after ... heard some good stuff though: Ken Vandermark, Dave Rempis, Susana Santos Silva, Nate Wooley, Mette Rasmussen, Terrie Hessels, Alexander Hawkins ...

Then, next weekend, right here in Zurich, the first new edition of the re-vamped Tatklos festival took place, with an opening set of chamber music by Galina Ustvolskaja and a wide range of music following, including a solo set by Matana Roberts, and a one-off/first-time trio by Roberts with Alexander Hawkins and Lucas Niggli ... great stuff!

Some crappy pics up here:
http://ubu-musings.blogspot.ch/

Then I had plenty of classical concerts and operas to check out, too - including the wonderful new Heinz Holliger opera, "Lunea".

And plenty of stuff going on at work, so not that much time to listen to music and even less time (and energy) to post about it :-)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Herb Ellis - Herb Ellis Meets Jimmy Giuffre (1959)
Harris Eisenstadt Canada Day - On Parade in Parede (2017)

toledobass

Miles bootleg volume 6. The first quintet final tour. Fantastic listening.

SimonNZ

Quote from: toledobass on March 28, 2018, 11:45:15 PM

Interesting - I wasn't aware this had been released.

Am I right in thinking that these have been previously available as unofficial releases? I think the Copenhagen concert disc I used to have must have been the concert in the new set:

Bogey

Quote from: George on March 27, 2018, 06:04:09 PM

Quote from: Marcabru on March 27, 2018, 06:35:30 PM

Heck, this one could be remastered in "duophonic" and still sound great.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bogey on March 29, 2018, 05:26:28 AM

Indeed, though the MFSL SACD is like butter.

toledobass

Quote from: Bogey on March 29, 2018, 05:26:28 AM

I agree, I bet it sounds great on a staticy transistor radio.

Bogey

Quote from: toledobass on March 29, 2018, 08:16:41 AM
I agree, I bet it sounds great on a staticy transistor radio.

Damn skippy! 8)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

NikF

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 28, 2018, 03:17:35 PM

Herb Ellis - Herb Ellis Meets Jimmy Giuffre
(1959)
Harris Eisenstadt Canada Day - On Parade in Parede (2017)

Good stuff.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

San Antone

Quote from: toledobass on March 28, 2018, 11:45:15 PM

I am glad this is available to stream.  Coltrane's solo on the first track "All of You" is f**king amazing!  If the rest of the playing is on this level this will be one great Miles record.

George

SimonNZ

Roland Hanna - The New York Jazz Quartet in Chicago (1982)

Bogey

Working through my Adderly cds in no particular order.  Cannonball is almost always solid in my books.  Like going to that corner cafe where you never have been served a bad meal.

Love revisiting this one from '55.  Reminds me a bit of a pared down Birth of the Cool due to the heavy instruments that seem to be in the background.

These next two are collaborations that look as though they should immediately revered by all and are from '59 and '61.  They are indeed very nice, but not my favorite of his recordings.  Glad to have them though and out of both, Evans' piano is the highlight.

This one from '62 is a bit of a stretch. I love that bossa nova sound, but there are a number of other artists that I would choose before Cannonball for this. (Getz being one of the first.....Enoch Light....).  One that will collect a little dust before another listen.

This one from '60 is a must from Adderly.   This album simply cooks!

And the cooking continues here, at least after the first track of this '66 live effort:

George

First spin, mono SACD mastered by Ryan Smith for Analogue Productions.

Bogey

Collecting Ellington is harder than collecting Armstrong.  And that is saying something.  Report in full, buddy....including dates.