What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

NikF

Oscar Peterson: Live At The Northsea Festival

[asin]B00000GC1W[/asin]

Think I've seen XB-70 Valkyrie post about this at some point in the past? In any case, I consider it a cool set - with 'Caravan' itself being worth the effort of a listen.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Eric Dolphy: Outward Bound.

[asin]B000H0MNNU[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

Jack McDuff Live! (1963)

A real good 'un, to quote the brother. His slightly dorky spoken intros and the blatantly manipulated applause track only add to the charm.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

NikF

John Lewis: The John Lewis Piano

[asin]B00DD0AH8E[/asin]

SimonNZ

Peter Bocage - With His Creole Serenaders & The Love-Jiles Ragtime Orchestra (1961)
Don Braden - After Dark (1994)

Count Basie - Afrique (1971)

XB-70 Valkyrie

George Shearing--Lullabies of Birdland, A Musical Autobiography

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

SimonNZ

Salvatore Bonafede - Sicilian Opening (2009)
Charles Brackeen - Worshippers Come Nigh (1988)

James

Action is the only truth

SimonNZ

Ruby Braff and Ellis Larkins - Calling Berlin, Volume 1 (1995)

NikF

George Shearing Trio: Jazz Moments.

[asin]B000005GZK[/asin]

SimonNZ

George Cables - A Letter To Dexter (2006)

NikF

Sarah Vaughan and her trio: At Mister Kelly's

[asin]B00000474O[/asin]

I have an Ella Fitzgerald recording from the same venue, but this one - despite being only my third(?) time of listening - remains a favourite. And the thing is, it wasn't until oor Simon posted it (years ago now? ;D ) I learned it existed. In any case, a real and rare pleasure.
Apart from Anita O'Day, if anyone is aware of other live (and I suppose, intimate) stuff in a similar vein/from a similar era, do let me know, please? Cheers.

George

NikF

Quote from: George on October 10, 2018, 05:56:59 AM

Good stuff, mate. I only have the CD issue from I don't know when, but it busts my chops.   ;D 8)

George

Quote from: NikF on October 10, 2018, 11:23:20 AM
Good stuff, mate. I only have the CD issue from I don't know when, but it busts my chops.   ;D 8)

8)

NikF