What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Dexter Gordon – Blues A La Suisse (1973)
Art Farmer - Music For That Wild Party (1956)

Bobo Stenson - Indicum (2011)
Betty Carter and Ray Bryant - Meet Betty Carter And Ray Bryant (1955)

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 15, 2018, 06:45:10 AM
I've been listening to (and at last, greatly digging) Coltrane's A Love Supreme.

I must confess that one has never connected with me...

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on November 15, 2018, 05:21:48 PM
I must confess that one has never connected with me...

I don't know just what clicked, nor just when it clicked . . .

Thread Duty:

http://www.youtube.com/v/6xQxN5Sxndc
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Urbie Green - All About Urbie Green and His Big Band (1956)
Yusef Lateef - The Dreamer (1959)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

SimonNZ

Quote from: George on November 19, 2018, 01:56:16 PM

First spin

What did you think of your first listen to that? I love it, but then I think near all of Tyner's discography is some degree of pretty amazing.

In fact I think I'll join you and play it again now.

McCoy Tyner - Sahara (1972)

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 19, 2018, 04:33:53 PM
What did you think of your first listen to that? I love it, but then I think near all of Tyner's discography is some degree of pretty amazing.

I really enjoyed it. So intense and different from any other Jazz CD I own.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Sun Ra in Detroit 1981 (a 28 CD set!!). Bought this set in San Francisco about ten years ago and never listened to much of it. For some reason, today I had a yearning to hear some new (to me) Sun Ra, so began at disc 1. Space Loneliness is a new favorite! All those guys were great musicians and from what I've read, no one rehearsed and worked their azzes off like Sun Ra's bands.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

king ubu

lately:

Love the final Bill Evans trio with Marc Johnson and Joe LaBarbera - the two of them really kicked ol'Bill's ass again, after a period of samey-ness during his last years with Fantasy ... somehow had always assumed these two were part of the Warner Vanguard box (I know Ronnie Scott's isn't the Village Vanguard, don't ask ...)

Roy Hargrove's R.H. Factor - this is certainly better than the second instalment, still not quite sure about it ... guess there were (good) reasons why this didn't interest me when it was new, but as a document of its time (or rather a document lagging somewhat behind its time) it's still interesting, and it's good fun for sure, just not as deep as I usually prefer things to be (and deep is not equal with serious or high-brow, mind me).

Fantastic disc by Dexter Gordon with a more than solid, actually quite agile dutch rhythm section ... 1963 was early in his comeback, and it's wonderful indeed to have this, as a companion piece to the 1966/67 recordings from Scandinavia.

James Blood Ulmer and Bill Laswell and former Meters drummer Zigaboo Modeliste, plus keys from Bernie Worrell and Amina Claudine Myers ... deep and dirty space blues funk goes psychedelia, and all that meshed into a powerful low-end theory.

Norma Winstone wrote lyrics to Jimmy Rowles' tune "The Peacocks" - and asked him if he would record with her. Adding George Mraz (former Rowles duo-mate) and Joe LaBarbera (see Evans trio above), she made what may be her most mainstream/conservative album, but it's totally gorgeous. There's quite some fragility in there, both in Winstone's singing as well as in the music (seems Rowles was in bad shape and someone had a flu so they went into the studio wearing masks ...).

Paul Bley - Ballads ¦ Nothing to add really, neither to the title nor to the layout. Quintessential ECM, but self-produced by Bley in 1967 (rel. on ECM in 1971) - music that really opened plentiful doors.

Both the Bley and the Hino=Kikuchi Quintet arrived in the mail from Japan yesterday (I've known the Bley for a while, but not this one) - a bit on the conservative side, but then there's no keys and synths in there as is wont with many Japanese album in the mid/late seventies (and sometimes the results are as awful as the US stuff they were trying to copy ...) - quite straight post-Miles/second quintet music.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on November 22, 2018, 03:28:47 AM
lately:

Norma Winstone wrote lyrics to Jimmy Rowles' tune "The Peacocks" - and asked him if he would record with her. Adding George Mraz (former Rowles duo-mate) and Joe LaBarbera (see Evans trio above), she made what may be her most mainstream/conservative album, but it's totally gorgeous. There's quite some fragility in there, both in Winstone's singing as well as in the music (seems Rowles was in bad shape and someone had a flu so they went into the studio wearing masks ...).

The Peacocks is one my favorite standards, having first heard it in the film Round Midnight, so I had to immediately check that out. Thanks.

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 22, 2018, 11:29:05 AM
The Peacocks is one my favorite standards, having first heard it in the film Round Midnight, so I had to immediately check that out. Thanks.

Quite sure you'll like it!

Thread duty - first spin:

This is Brian Marsella's remake of the Hasaan album, "Outspoken - The Music of the Legendary Hasaan" (Tzadik, 2018) - very good indeed! Besides six (of the seven) tunes from Hasaan's one album ("Max Roach Trio Featuring the Legendary Hasaan", Atlantic, rec. 1964), there's a new Hasaan tune and Marsella's tribute. Christian McBride is on bass and Anwar Marshall on drums.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Bill Jennings – Enough Said! (1959)

George

Still slowly working through this set, in order. Tonight enjoying more of the mid-forties recordings via CD 16 (of 24.)

king ubu

Quote from: George on November 23, 2018, 04:38:34 PM

Still slowly working through this set, in order. Tonight enjoying more of the mid-forties recordings via CD 16 (of 24.)

Mid-forties Duke is somewhat underrated, I think ... if you want more of it, there's the Treasury Shows (aka D.E.T.S. = Duke Ellington Treasury Shows) series on Storyville (just completed, early instalments are nowadays sold as CD-Rs only, alas), and then there's the two "Duke Boxes", also on Storyville (and going into the fifites) - no overlap with the D.E.T.S. series.

--

Thread duty:

First spin. Heard the trio live last night (click image to enlarge and read names) - excellent set! It's not quite the same on CD of course, but still very good, I think.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

George

Quote from: king ubu on November 24, 2018, 06:52:11 AM
Mid-forties Duke is somewhat underrated, I think ... if you want more of it, there's the Treasury Shows (aka D.E.T.S. = Duke Ellington Treasury Shows) series on Storyville (just completed, early instalments are nowadays sold as CD-Rs only, alas), and then there's the two "Duke Boxes", also on Storyville (and going into the fifites) - no overlap with the D.E.T.S. series.

Thanks!

Personally, I found the sound on the CD I posted to be quite piercing in the treble/upper midrange, so much so that I had to turn the volume down.

king ubu

Quote from: George on November 24, 2018, 07:07:03 AM
Thanks!

Personally, I found the sound on the CD I posted to be quite piercing in the treble/upper midrange, so much so that I had to turn the volume down.

Hm, yeah, I guess it's the issues of the box's remastering again ... it's been quite a while that I played anything from the big box, but it always takes me a moment to adjust (same goes, btw, for the the no-noised/sound-killed Carnegie Hall concerts reissued by Fantasy).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Milt Jackson with The Monty Alexander Trio - Soul Fusion (1977)

king ubu

First spin ... not quite through with it all:

It's sedated Mingus, not with his best band (don't put the blame on Roy Brooks who subbed for Dannie Richmond, while the later went with the Mark Almond (who?) band for a year or so) ... but still a wonderful document to have, and sound quality is pretty good, too.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!